It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alpha Centauri Bb Needs A Better Name; What will you submit?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Huffington Post

Alpha Centauri Bb is a fine designation for us astronomers, but let's face it -- it's a little boring," astronomer and Uwingu CEO Alan Stern said in a statement. "Let's see what the people of planet Earth would want to name their nearest planetary cousin".

Uwingu, which is formed by a group of astronomers, planetary scientists, former space program executives and educators that came together to form a space-themed company have come up with the idea to allow us fellow earthers to come up with the best possible name for our dear solar neighbor.

This is a new way for the people of Earth, of every age, of every nation, of every walk of life to personally connect to space discoveries, and to help fund space research and education in the process,

..And for as little as 5 bucks.

To generate more public interest and funds for further research, Uwingu has launched a contest to come up with a more likable name for Alpha Centauri Bb. Anyone can participate in what will become the first planetary baby name book.

So far, names that have been submitted include (one for each letter of the alphabet): Adalia, Bakich, Carbonia, Degenhardt, Enkidu, Fanelia, Ghandi, Heinlein, Ionus, Jodrell, Kepler, Lanador, Mandella, Namaste, Outpost, Pantheon, Queloz, Requiem, Serenity, Thanagar, Uhuru, Vulcan, Wookiee, Xenorbia, Yoda, Zappa.

This first name-a-planet contest ends on April 15. And, oh yes, there will also be runner-up prizes. Prizes include:

- A signed plaque commemorating the name and its namer
- Your picture on the Uwingu website alongside the winning name you chose
- A free 12-month subscription to Astronomy magazine
- Uwingu gift certificates

(Mods, I did do a search and couldn't find another thread, but move if necessary)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
lol you just dont go and call a planet "yoda" out of nowhere...

Whats the planet like and what is it made of?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Why don't we just wait and see what the aliens that actually live there have named it?

I wonder what aliens have named our planet?

edit on 26-3-2013 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

As the planet has not been observed to transit its parent star, its size, composition, and atmospheric conditions are unknown, although its mass is indicative of a terrestrial planet. The surface temperature is estimated to be 1,200 °C, which is above the melting temperatures of many silicate magmas.[4][5] (By comparison, the surface of Venus, the hottest planetary surface in the Solar System, is 460 °C.) At such high temperatures large areas of the planet's surface are likely to be molten, leading to popular descriptions of the planet as a "lava world"

That's from Wiki, because I had no idea

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Quo'noS

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Well, if it's habitable I say it be called Rabbitus. It's fitting and suggests great things with high potential! Any fellow Rabbit would agree, I'm sure.

If it's not habitable? Well... How about Obamaland? (sorry..couldn't resist..
)

Seriously, this could really be fun. They ought to start doing this as a regular thing. Maybe open it to a routine national competition running in the schools for REAL naming rights. Since they are finding new ones so quickly now they can't keep up? It would be a great excuse to give kids inspiration for science and exploration.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Alpha Centauri Londo Mollari
edit on 26-3-2013 by hotel1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
How about Xiantang, which is roughly "paradise" in Chinese.

Since it will probably be the Chinese who first set foot on it. Although it's a little hot. Maybe that would be a better name for a cooler planet in the neighborhood.
edit on 26-3-2013 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

I'm kind of partial to "george".

As in...

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by seagull

Ha! Blast from the past there, I remember that one
That would be an epic name for a planet. George. Planet George. Though I'm not sure if i'd pay the 4.99 to submit that one

and wrabbit I don't think its in the habitable zone, but it seems they will have many opportunities to name planets as this is only one of many contests to come it seems so Rabbitus may be a possible solar buddy one day

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
Why don't we just wait and see what the aliens that actually live there have named it?

I wonder what aliens have named our planet?

edit on 26-3-2013 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

Forget that, remember how they named Canada? The English couldn't speak the language of the native tribe that was taking them to their village, so the natives kept pointing to their village and saying "kanata" "kanata". So, what did the English do, they thought they meant the whole damn land.... they even screwed up the pronunciation and spelling.

Anyway, I like the name Alpha Centauri; 'the foot of the centaur'; 'Southern Pointers'; 'Pointers'; 'Southern Gate'; 'the ostriches'.

That actually brings up another point. If it is renamed, how will the meaning change in other languages?

Joke:

When Sir John A. McDonald and his cronies were trying to figure out a new name for our (soon-to-be) great country, someone had a (typically Canadian) idea:

"Let's put all the letters into a hat and draw three of them.
That will be the new name of this place ..."
So they did ...

The first letter is pulled, and our hero shouts - "C" eh!?
The second letter is pulled, and our hero shouts - "N" eh!?
The third letter is pulled, and our hero shouts - "D" eh!?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Primus Hotter-Than-Hellus

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by RooskiZombi

Big Betty

2nd

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Arwen

I think they should call the planet Arwen.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
They had better not be changing it. Will be sticking with the old name.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by RooskiZombi
...nearest planetary cousin".

It's kinfolk...right?
Call it "Bubba".

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I'm much more partial to Alpha Centauri A#.

Bb is just so...dull.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Personallly I like the Z's, Zerthia.. Zetropia..

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
At the rate things are going: New China.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by RooskiZombi
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

As the planet has not been observed to transit its parent star, its size, composition, and atmospheric conditions are unknown, although its mass is indicative of a terrestrial planet. The surface temperature is estimated to be 1,200 °C, which is above the melting temperatures of many silicate magmas.[4][5] (By comparison, the surface of Venus, the hottest planetary surface in the Solar System, is 460 °C.) At such high temperatures large areas of the planet's surface are likely to be molten, leading to popular descriptions of the planet as a "lava world"

That's from Wiki, because I had no idea

Thanks...

Then... Vulcan or Hephaestus would be appropriate...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join