This May Be A Very Important Day For Gay Rights

page: 6
10
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

log in

join

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
reply to post by kaylaluv
 





I could easily see the SCOTUS ruling initiating an amendment regarding not discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation. That would fall under banning states from refusing to give a marriage license to someone based on their sexual orientation.


That's exactly what needs to happen.


However, this case is not about that at all. It's about having the right to defend prop 8 on behalf of the State of California who shamefully refused to defend it's own laws as defined by the people. The two options are..

1. The case is thrown out. Prop 8 stands except for the one tiny district.

2. The case goes forward on the people being about to defend the very laws they instituted and the State refused to defend. In this option, all that will be argued is "if" Prop 8 is legal under the Constitution. And even here this does not grant rights to homosexuals. It only means that there is a conflict between federal and State laws and the law is voided on that ground and we're basically back to the beginning where the people will then re-pass the law and we start the whole process over again.




edit on 26-3-2013 by Fromabove because: (no reason given)




posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce
reply to post by kthxbai
 





not to be cliche...but... pics or it didn't happen I think you are making it up based on the retelling of a tall tale from someplace like faux news


Yea right, pics of what?.. Its not a retelling of anything, its based on whats available to you and everyone else here.


In other words, it didn't really happen, you're just repeating something you were told and didn't verify



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by GR1ill3d
Please explain to the rest of the people in this topic how giving homosexuals the right to marriage is a "special right"?


Hey, homosexuals should be happy they can freely be homosexual.. I don't need to explain myself.. As for the "special right", stay the f**k away from religious buildings if religion is such a burden.. They weren't built for homosexuals, they were built to worship God. Go build some rainbow coloured churches with your agenda funds somewhere else.. Homosexuals can get married by law all they want.. Government are not a religious entity and therefore shouldn't decide for religious institutions either. Seriously, if they don't like religion, stay the f**k away from our buildings.


My church and many others are very tolerant of homosexuality. There are even churches out there, Christian churches, where the majority of the members are homosexual.

It's not about Christianity, it's about the misinterpretation of Christianity to try to spread hatred instead of love.

Compare the "new easy to read" versions of the bible to the original, or better yet, learn the original language and REALLY compare it. You will be very, very surprised.



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by GR1ill3d
Yes, sadly religion won't be going anywhere, so as long as we have ignorant people getting spoon fed lies, and fairy tales from birth.


Wheres the history of Homosexuals? Do we have some ancient Homosexual bibles floating about somewhere? Seems not... Maybe we won somewhere in the past also..


Still though, these "Christians" complain about being attacked, when they were the ones to make the first attack.
I would ask "what kind of logic is that?" Then I realize I am debating with people who believe snakes can talk.


Metaphors and Symbolism.. So what's this about snakes?


David and Jonathan, Ruth and Naomi, Daniel and Ashpenaz, The centurion and his servant in Matthew 8.
Sodom was destroyed for their hatred, for being inhospitable, for not helping the poor and needy, for wanting to gang rape the angels as a show of power, not as a homosexual act. It was impossible for EVERY person in the town to be gay and every single one of them lusting for the two unseen "men" hiding in Lot's house. It wasn't about being gay, it was about wanting to humiliate them and subject them to their authority.

Homosexuality itself was never addressed in the bible, not once. Sure, it's been misinterpreted several times due to the changes made to it during the dark ages to appease the public at that time, but there's nothing in there about it because it wasn't an issue. People just downright didn't care and neither did God. God still doesn't and neither do I.



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
It's not a States Rights issue, it's a Human Rights issue.


Absolutely, positively the most accurate, succinct statement I have seen



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by poloblack
 


I know what you're trying to convey, but being black and being gay is two entirely different situations. The black/gay analogy is way off base.

I couldn't agree more!

The "Gay Marriage" issue is not about "rights", or even equality. It's only about changing current law to comply with the sexual preference of a select group that doesn't intend to comply with the traditional definition of "marriage"!

See ya,
Milt
edit on 26-3-2013 by BenReclused because: Typo



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarknStormy

Originally posted by GR1ill3d
Please explain to the rest of the people in this topic how giving homosexuals the right to marriage is a "special right"?


Hey, homosexuals should be happy they can freely be homosexual.. I don't need to explain myself.. As for the "special right", stay the f**k away from religious buildings if religion is such a burden.. They weren't built for homosexuals, they were built to worship God. Go build some rainbow coloured churches with your agenda funds somewhere else.. Homosexuals can get married by law all they want.. Government are not a religious entity and therefore shouldn't decide for religious institutions either. Seriously, if they don't like religion, stay the f**k away from our buildings.




You pretty much tried to move the goal posts, tripped, and fell into a vile, hate spewing spiral. Good job guy.



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BenReclused
reply to post by poloblack
 


I know what you're trying to convey, but being black and being gay is two entirely different situations. The black/gay analogy is way off base.

I couldn't agree more!

The "Gay Marriage" issue is not about "rights", or even equality. It's only about changing current law to comply with the sexual preference of a select group that doesn't intend to comply with the traditional definition of "marriage"!

See ya,
Milt
edit on 26-3-2013 by BenReclused because: Typo




So they are trying to change the law to only allow homosexuals the right to marry?
edit on 26-3-2013 by DarthOej because: punctuation



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy
 



Or some snotty nosed minority group who believe they should have special rights that no-one else does because they chose to be different


What special rights?

They just want the same rights that heterosexuals have right now.



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy
 



Religion isn't going anywhere... It will outlast any homosexual revolution and their cronies.


I think homosexuals were around long before the Christian religion was.

What ever happened to that "What would Jesus do?" meme??? I think Christians really need to think about that and bring it back.



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf
 

The government is not slapping the face of religion. The government if it be for same sex marriage is slapping the face of God who has declared men with men and women with women is AN ABOMINATION!

Jehovah, God loves all men and women but He is also Judge of all. Since mankind laughs at God, God will also laugh at your calamity when it comes, those who slap His face will not go unpunished.

Jesus Christ died for the sins of the world. He always did his Fathers will. God's will is that we be forgiven for our sins. It is not we who determine what is right and what is wrong. It is God who wrote the rule book. Don't play by the rule book and see who wins!



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DarknStormy
 



Hey, homosexuals should be happy they can freely be homosexual.. I don't need to explain myself.. As for the "special right", stay the f**k away from religious buildings if religion is such a burden.. They weren't built for homosexuals, they were built to worship God. Go build some rainbow coloured churches with your agenda funds somewhere else.. Homosexuals can get married by law all they want.. Government are not a religious entity and therefore shouldn't decide for religious institutions either. Seriously, if they don't like religion, stay the f**k away from our buildings.


This post just shows how completely ignorant you are. It's borderline can't tell if you are trolling or just ignorant.

Do you honestly think this is about homosexuals wanting to force churches to marry them????



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I think the issue is that they're trying to decide if it's Constitutional for the people of California to be able to vote away the right for gays to marry. Basically, if they rule that it's a civil rights issue, then the people of California's vote is trumped by that because, sort of like interracial marriage.



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove
 



Either way, the straights win.


What exactly do straights "win"???

Is this some sort of competition???



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TriForce
reply to post by supertrot
 


Yea and a possible slap in the face for democracy, since this case is based on challenging the majority of people that voted for Proposition 8 in California.
edit on 26-3-2013 by TriForce because: (no reason given)

It's a good thing America isn't a democracy then; and instead, a republlic wherein the rights of all are considered and not just the rights of the majority.



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Originally posted by TriForce
reply to post by supertrot
 


Yea and a possible slap in the face for democracy, since this case is based on challenging the majority of people that voted for Proposition 8 in California.
edit on 26-3-2013 by TriForce because: (no reason given)

It's a good thing America isn't a democracy then; and instead, a republlic wherein the rights of all are considered and not just the rights of the majority.


I am very conflicted with this case. on the one hand i want to see democracy get defeated. on the other i want to see the poor innocent minority get defeated. its a lose/lose situation for me! lol



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Every thread here on ATS dealing with this issue has several of the same problems. Every one lacks any coherent factual argument against gays, or gay marriage, that isn't based in religious fundamentalism or poorly disguised bigotry. Every. Single. One. Phony studies from hard right special interest groups do not count.


Marriage has existed since the dawn of civilization, and is not a religious institution, despite what fundies pound into your brain. Diplomacy, wealth, power, and social status are only a few of it's purposes. Why aren't all of you marching through Hollywood waving your banner of "protecting marriage" at all these celebrities? Don't answer because we already know why.

The whole tradition argument is pretty hollow anyway. Just because things have been done a certain way in the past doesn't mean they have to, or should. Throughout history women have traditionally been treated as second class citizens. They couldn't vote, hold office, work, own property, etc. Im sure glads thats not the case anymore.



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
I think the issue is that they're trying to decide if it's Constitutional for the people of California to be able to vote away the right for gays to marry. Basically, if they rule that it's a civil rights issue, then the people of California's vote is trumped by that because, sort of like interracial marriage.



Wouldn't it also set a precedent that the other states will have to follow?



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kthxbai

Originally posted by Kali74
It's not a States Rights issue, it's a Human Rights issue.


Absolutely, positively the most accurate, succinct statement I have seen


since when is the LEGAL CONTRACT know as marriage a right? the whole idea of "rights" has really screwed things up. pretty soon people will start saying they have the right to kill random people or to molest children. hell we might as well stop prosecuting the catholic priests and the recent "supposed" mass shooting suspects. they all of course have the "RIGHT" to do as they please!



posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by david99118

Originally posted by kthxbai

Originally posted by Kali74
It's not a States Rights issue, it's a Human Rights issue.


Absolutely, positively the most accurate, succinct statement I have seen


since when is the LEGAL CONTRACT know as marriage a right? the whole idea of "rights" has really screwed things up. pretty soon people will start saying they have the right to kill random people or to molest children. hell we might as well stop prosecuting the catholic priests and the recent "supposed" mass shooting suspects. they all of course have the "RIGHT" to do as they please!




*sigh* this old fallacy. Those "examples" are different in the sense that they all harm someone. Gays are consenting adults whose actions have absolutely no bearing on your rights.

Why do people still insist on using that crappy argument? Is it cognitive dissonance, or do they lack the intelligence to see what is wrong with it?





new topics
top topics
 
10
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

log in

join