It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Maps That Shouldn't Exist

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretKnowledge

In terms of gamespersonship, yes, I did game the post, but it was necessary for two reasons, neither of which was to win a 'pot'.

The first reason supports the second reason; by using 2 posts, the first of which may seem cruel-hearted, I have prevented 3 or more posts, which may have turned in to a brief flame war, which would have required even more cruel-hearted posts to snuff out. By allowing the poster to make their ignorance self-evident, it allowed said ignorance to be denied in 2 posts or less.

The second reason was to support this statement from member, Kilgore Trout:

So, what I meant about researching was actually questioning the details of the information as presented to form your own conclusion, not simply relying on the sanctity of those conclusions because they are repeated in other places.

It is the difference between denying ignorance and reinforcing it.

I told the truth, I'm not very good at Neuroanatomy. But I can use Google. If you will note the post exchange that we are discussing you will see that I was shooting for speed, given that I came on the posters post some minutes after he posted it, I would say that's pretty quick.
edit on 28-3-2013 by Bybyots because:

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I just wanted to thank the OP and everyone else for making this an interesting read (For various reasons)

Peace

John

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

Am I the only person noticing that this is a repost of a blogvertisement? The exact same post was here earlier this year.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Interesting but seems a bit off, try again

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Autograf

Am I the only person noticing that this is a repost of a blogvertisement? The exact same post was here earlier this year.

It is not a repost of a blogvertisement, because I wrote it myself. Although it may seem familiar, because apparently there have been a lot of other threads here on the same maps, which I didn't know about. Maybe that's what you're thinking of.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I think this is a case of giving credit were credit is due. we think they were primative but ancients did some things in there time that we cant do today. its human nature to explore and that is exactly what they did. if we listen to mainstream we would still believe columbus discovered america. or i could be wrong and they drew maps from alien airships!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Great thread,really interesting read.
There are so many things we don't know about our ancient past but because modern science & archeology doesn't want to revise their text book world it's left to the fringes to find out as much about the past as they can before the info is lost forever.

The maps are amazingly acurate for there time,they were smarter than alot of people give them credit for,it's a subject i'll be following up with later i reckon

S+F

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by misscurious
A tad jelous are we that smyleegrl got loads of flags? Wherever this came from its nice to see these sort of threads on ats rather than the junk that passes through here.. 516 flags! Kinda shows others here agree..
edit on

Should I be jealous? Do flags translate to cash currency or Bit-Coin credits?

You may consider this a quality thread, but crap is still crap no matter how nicely it has been repackaged. And the number of flags merely reflects that the blind will gladly follow the blind. Personally, I prefer a thread where the OP has taken the time to learn about the subject matter and can therefore engage in the discussion that ensues, and is not simply lifting the conspiracy theories of others and other sites without adding any original content. I have in the past been a little of envious of threads but usually that has been based on the OPs ability to present information in an original, engaging manner or excellent writing skills. Unfortunately such threads are now few and far between, and many of those are passed over for threads such as this that reinforce the notion that 'we have been lied to'. However, as I demonstrated, it is very easy to ascertain a broader, more accurate picture if it is important to you. But the lowing masses would much rather be spoon-fed half-cocked theories, than get off their lazy, fat behinds and actually engage in their own education and development. Far easier to blame others for your own ignorance than to accept responsibility for yourselves, I suppose.

In short, popularity is no measure of quality, just a reflection of how easy it is to tap into the consciousness of the lowest common denominator. extra DIV

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by soloharmony
I think this is a case of giving credit were credit is due. we think they were primative but ancients did some things in there time that we cant do today. its human nature to explore and that is exactly what they did. if we listen to mainstream we would still believe columbus discovered america. or i could be wrong and they drew maps from alien airships!

As can be demonstrated by looking at maps contemporary to those in the OP. By the 1500s most of Europe was intricately mapped, it was an obsession of the time to define the world, known and otherwise, in relation to other regions. Additionally, trade was of paramount importance in the Middle-Ages, mapping the world was driven by competition and demand for products, and most trade powers invested vast resources in sending out scouts and intelligence gathers as a means of discovering better or more direct routes to resources thereby increasing the potential for profit by cutting out the middle-men.

As you say, no mystery(though admittedly, often, great secrecy) just necessity being the mother of all invention, and where profit is involved, the will to find a way to new markets and products is always stronger.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Yazman

I am sorry, but this is from your source "Although there are fairly obvious similarities between the general depiction of the southern continent by Orontius Finaeus and modern maps of Antarctica, they do not stand up to close scrutiny; indeed, there are more differences than similarities, much as one would expect from a map drawn without genuine knowledge of the southern continent! "

The fact alone that there ARE similarities cannot really be discussed away that easily. I agree about the other map though, that does seem to be a common mistake.

But how come Antarctica was on the maps at all? I still do not get it. Maps are not there to show what we THINK there is. Maps are there to show what we KNOW there is.

There probably is a reasonable explanation for this, but I still think it is fascinating.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by teslahowitzer
There is so much missing in our history than we may ever know. There are clues to some but the majority is missing or twisted. I wonder how far back we really go, and what events got us here. Maybe some day these questions may be answered, but we can only speculate. This is without doubt not the first earth, But where are we in this line of time is anyone's guess with what we know as fact. S&F and may the search continue......

I have the feeling you are right about this, and it questions the very nature of our reality. Do we live in a nested simulation? It seems strange that there are so many repeating patterns in our universe - exactly what would be the case in an efficiently run program. I wonder how many times our 'reality' has been reset...

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:47 PM
link   

I found something similar, when I found that they had broken up the different names for the same individuals and re listed them as 'offspring'. Then following their created timeline, I found that they had significantly altered the dating system, and methods we now use to date.

Egyptian "SET" was listed as the "Leviathan Class Serpent" who invaded Earth. He created religions and the Calendar system. In greece he was Cronus, and in S.America he USED the Mayan calendar he created as well. The tie in comes when you find out his Hebrew name was "Solomon" the wise...Serpent. His offspring were the Ptolemy's called the Incestuous Twins. This is the 'double eagle' sigil used everywhere, and found on coins and in S. America.
We had an advanced global society. If you read Ed Leedskalnin, you find that what they have renamed the 'Stone Age' was the age of Crystaline technologies. Rock.

If you follow the Incestuous twins under "Arsinoe" and "Cleopatra" (her roman name), you find the year is "23-32". If you look under her saxon name, Elizabeth 1, you find "1560". There is a huge 'time' diff. between Hebrew calendars and current calendars. They altered the calendars, pure and simple. When I did the math I came to the same time gap between "1500" and the missing Geneva Convention of "1917".Once you compile the names, you find that they created thousands of years of history. And that "1500" was around "23-32".

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by YellowRoseTx51

Oh My God!

I just got a seizure just by reading and trying to understand what you are trying to communicate.
Be systematic in what you are trying to convey. I cant make head or tails of you post. A mish mash of loads of un related information, its like a person opens their mouth and a whole load of gibberish come out without any logic.

care to elucidate???

posted on Apr, 9 2013 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Thank you to OP for an interesting post. As someone who does not follow the crowd, I had come across these maps before, and found them interesting. To me, this reveals a tiny part of the story. Civilisation is much older than we have historical evidence for, and I feel it must be the case that some kind of cataclysm has occurred to wipe out most of the human race, and thus wipe our memories.

Two million years ago we were not much different than we are today. Even the ancient maps you highlight are recent in human history. I feel that there must have been a number of advanced civilisations since we were able to think abstractly, but the evidence is buried so deep that we will never find it. Here in York, UK, there are Roman Baths from 1000 years ago. They are fifty feet underground now, but were on the surface then...

Our history is buried, but we do have an ancient history.

posted on Apr, 15 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I agree with Harte and Hanslune.

Regarding the Piri Re'is map:
From badarchaeology.wordpress.com...
"We can dismiss Mallery as an authority, but does this mean that Hapgood was also wrong to identify the land at the bottom (south) of the map as Antarctica? To see it as such, one must ignore the placenames written in this area, as transcribed in Ayşe Afet İnan’s The Oldest Map of America, Drawn by Pirî Reis (1954, Ankara). They include Rio de laplata, San Matias, Porto Deseado and Porto San julean. These are clearly the Río de la Plata, Golfo San Matías, Puerto Deseado and Puerto San Julián. In other words, this is a depiction of the coast of Argentina, twisted through 90° to fit onto the parchment! There is no depiction of Antarctica here."

Daniel Boorstin's The Discoverers talks about maps. The book is one of the best I've read, ever.
books.google.com...

I feel that because of the many who chime in with a "me too" post, echoing the "there must have been a precivilation society who mapped the earth's geographical features with modern accuracy", O.P.s should be diligent in their research, & include the countering points in a topic such as this, which has lots of history in scientific circles (research & geography-related) in being shot out of the sea-monster-filled water.
Many people do not go elsewhere to research things they then internalize, self-affirming bias I think it may be called.

Though the thread, in form, is excellent. Content should ve better researched and thoroughly represented. The OP is clearly an asset to ATS imho.

It is searchable in Googlebooks. So one should be able to find the section on maps.
edit on 15-4-2013 by kkrattiger because: typos abound, im on a small phone screen. Editing is nearly impossible...

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but here is an ultra high-resolution color version of The Bauche Map of 1737.

libweb5.princeton.edu...

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImNotACylon

while I find this topic interesting, It just didn't need to be posted about for the 10,000,000th time. This is not new, nor is it unknown to pretty much anyone with even a passing interest in the odd.

Not to rain on your parade as i applaud your posting interesting information. I just would've liked it if you had checked to see that this has been posted about before, seen on TV, mentioned in books, and is pretty much tantamount to beating a dead horse.

Also, a little balanced research would've been nice as there are competing theories about these maps and their origins.
The piri reis map has always fascinated me but I'm still undecided as to what it actually shows.
It sure does look like the land under Antarctica, but that's, really, about as far as one can go with it.
"It may or may not be... but it looks like it."
There is nothing definitive about it and the fact that it DOES exists means it should. IT only "shouldn't" if it actually shows the landmass under Antarctica.
There is no proof it does, though it makes a for an interesting and compelling topic of debate.
So, again, thank you for posting this but a thorough check of ATS beforehand would've done you well.

Typical ATS garbage post. I wonder which 12 jokers starred this.

I'll spare the rebuttal that's been posted a few times (this info is new to some, etc etc) however, I will say this:

You are highly critical of OP (one of the things that makes me say "typical ATS garbage post,") and are even critical on specific points--- "Also, a little balanced research would've been nice as there are competing theories..."

So I ask: If this was important enough, to bother you enough, to the point where you had to take your time to make a critical post about it, why didn't you supply us with some more "balanced" research, and give us some competing theories? How do you have the gall to criticize someone else for bringing us one-sided info, when you're clearly too lazy or uncaring to provide that competing info yourself?

Just a thought..... a little critique if you will....

And while I'm on the topic of "Reasons why ATS can be infuriating," I have to say-- I love you guys who think you have everything figured out. No mystery here, unless you don't take into account all the evidence, etc etc. How terrible your lives must be. Do you live in constant terror that you may not, after all, know everything in the world? That there might, in fact, be mystery out there somewhere? That what you've been taught, might actually be wrong?. But of course that's a silly thought.... scientists and academics have rarely to never been wrong, historically speaking. And clearly, from the sound of it, some of you guys have life and the world 100% figured out.

edit on 30-5-2013 by iwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TurboT
I believe before the "powers that be" started running the show there was probably LOADS more evidence and traces of a "lost" civilization.

"Powers That Be" covering up evidence of ancient civilizations, you suggest?

Hm, if only we had artifacts and info from some of the oldest known civilizations in the world. Like sumeria / Babylon type ancient.

Oh, hey... wait a minute... wasn't ancient Babylon modern day Iraq?

Oh hey, wait a minute... haven't "the powers that be" had a lot of presence and influence in that area of the world for the last decade or so?

Oh yeah, I seem to remember something about us invading Iraq. Gee... I wonder what happened to all those artifacts after we invaded....

The Looting of Iraq's Museums....

At least 80 percent of the 170,000 separate items stored at the National Museum of Antiquities in Baghdad were stolen or destroyed during the looting rampage that followed the US military occupation of Baghdad. The museum was the greatest single storehouse of materials from the civilizations of ancient Mesopotamia, including Sumeria, Akkadia, Babylonia, Assyria and Chaldea. It also held artifacts from Persia, Ancient Greece, the Roman Empire and various Arab dynasties.

The museum held the tablets with Hammurabi’s Code, perhaps the world’s first system of laws, and cuneiform texts that are the oldest known examples of writing—epic poems, mathematical treatises, historical accounts. An entire library of clay tablets had not yet been deciphered or researched, in part because of the US-backed sanctions that restricted travel to Iraq...

...Another significant loss came from the burning of the nearby National Library, containing tens of thousands of old manuscripts and books, and newspapers from the Ottoman Empire to the present. The library’s reading rooms and stacks were reduced to smoking ruins.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam

Posting of the same claim over and over again without doing the basic research to see what the other side of the claim is just sloppiness. Certain subjects get repeated here ad nauseum. Unless they have something to add to a very tired debate - what is the point?

Posting the claim that 2 + 2 = 5 over and over again doesn't make it more true especially when a few minutes of searching will find that yes that claim has been made, multiple times, and the answer is actually 4.
edit on 30/5/13 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 31 2013 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by iwilliam

Originally posted by ImNotACylon

while I find this topic interesting, It just didn't need to be posted about for the 10,000,000th time. This is not new, nor is it unknown to pretty much anyone with even a passing interest in the odd.

Not to rain on your parade as i applaud your posting interesting information. I just would've liked it if you had checked to see that this has been posted about before, seen on TV, mentioned in books, and is pretty much tantamount to beating a dead horse.

Also, a little balanced research would've been nice as there are competing theories about these maps and their origins.
The piri reis map has always fascinated me but I'm still undecided as to what it actually shows.
It sure does look like the land under Antarctica, but that's, really, about as far as one can go with it.
"It may or may not be... but it looks like it."
There is nothing definitive about it and the fact that it DOES exists means it should. IT only "shouldn't" if it actually shows the landmass under Antarctica.
There is no proof it does, though it makes a for an interesting and compelling topic of debate.
So, again, thank you for posting this but a thorough check of ATS beforehand would've done you well.

Typical ATS garbage post. I wonder which 12 jokers starred this.

I'll spare the rebuttal that's been posted a few times (this info is new to some, etc etc) however, I will say this:

You are highly critical of OP (one of the things that makes me say "typical ATS garbage post,") and are even critical on specific points--- "Also, a little balanced research would've been nice as there are competing theories..."

So I ask: If this was important enough, to bother you enough, to the point where you had to take your time to make a critical post about it, why didn't you supply us with some more "balanced" research, and give us some competing theories? How do you have the gall to criticize someone else for bringing us one-sided info, when you're clearly too lazy or uncaring to provide that competing info yourself?

So, you didn't think to consider that, perhaps, ImNotACylon has supplied the ignorant with factual evidence? Or that, perhaps (as was suggested,) said evidence has been posted here hundreds of times already?
Piri Reis Map

Orontius Finaeus Map

Bauche Map

Mercator Map

Originally posted by iwilliamAnd while I'm on the topic of "Reasons why ATS can be infuriating," I have to say-- I love you guys who think you have everything figured out. No mystery here, unless you don't take into account all the evidence, etc etc. How terrible your lives must be. Do you live in constant terror that you may not, after all, know everything in the world? That there might, in fact, be mystery out there somewhere? That what you've been taught, might actually be wrong?. But of course that's a silly thought.... scientists and academics have rarely to never been wrong, historically speaking. And clearly, from the sound of it, some of you guys have life and the world 100% figured out.

Do you, then, consider that nothing can be "figured out?"

The fact that an individual is ignorant of the facts does not indicate that those facts are non-existent or erroneous, does it?

What a horrible world you must live in, where it is impossible to "figure out" anything. Toasters work by magic, and cars have little squirrels under the hood turning a wheel that moves the car.

These maps have been "figured out" already, and not by us. Pretending otherwise won't bring rainbow unicorns into existence.

Harte

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 4  5  6    8 >>

join