It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Maps That Shouldn't Exist

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImNotACylon
reply to post by smyleegrl

while I find this topic interesting, It just didn't need to be posted about for the 10,000,000th time. This is not new, nor is it unknown to pretty much anyone with even a passing interest in the odd.

Not to rain on your parade as i applaud your posting interesting information. I just would've liked it if you had checked to see that this has been posted about before, seen on TV, mentioned in books, and is pretty much tantamount to beating a dead horse.

As of right now, there are about 520 people on this forum who would disagree with you.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Are you saying this photo helps or hurts the claim?
As I see it, the British survey helps the maps argument. It does seem to be two separated land masses. The basic shape of the maps look very a like.
edit on 27-3-2013 by WonOunce because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by WonOunce

I provided the link as a service. I'm not taking sides.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Interesting thread. Speaking as a cartographer, virtually all maps, made now & in the past, have been compiled using a variety of methods & from a variety of sources. I have regularly used sources that are 100-150yrs-old combined with the latest aerial survey information to produce digital products. These days we include something called metadata (or data about data) which provides information about the accuracy, sources, history etc of the information used in the compilation of the map/data. Unfortunately we don’t have a lot of information regarding all of the Piri Reis source material. I read somewhere that a portion of the Piri Reis compilation material may have came from the ancient Egyptian Library of Alexander which burnt down in 48BC taking most of the world’s knowledge with it. A very ancient source, especially considering that when it was built around 300BC it was gradually filled with papyrus scrolls that were likely ancient to begin with. Regarding the Piri Reis map, it seems to me that the only way that the Antarctic sections of the map could have been drawn to this particular level of accuracy would be to have used aerial surveying techniques. That means planes, or at least something up in the air taking photo’s or doing the equivalent of LIDAR scanning, & all done when Queen Maud Land was ice-free 4000-6000yrs ago! Wikipedia states that, ‘if true, it would require major revisions to the history of exploration, settlement, evolution, & technological advancements of the time.’ It’s no secret that academics don’t like doing major revisions. So where does this leave us - we humans know very little about our ancient past & it’s entirely plausible that, as one responder said, ‘..it seems sociological & technological advancement are not linear concepts as many in our world today like to think’. This is what modern science refuses to consider.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Originally posted by coredrill
Good Research , i Admit.
But is the matter of the research fact or fiction or of dubious origin (the case of the Piri Reis Map)?

For those who Star & Flag - of course it makes a good read. But more than that, have you actually read into the other side? Have you searched for other sources than in the post to verify the authenticity of the claims about the map? i dont think so.

Have a read at

A Scientific Analysis of the Piri Reis Map

Not something I came across...thank you for the link.

I actually posted that same link for Piri Reis map info on page 2.

But congrats on the threads popularity!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
These maps are indeed truly amazing and astonishing, especially when one compares them (and their existence) with what modern day academia tells us about history.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
The interesting thing i find about the maps is that they almost scream out the time they were produced, insofar the one that shows the eastern seaboard of south America way out into the Atlantic Ocean, and the actual hydrographic survey of the Amazon shows it carving quite a deep channel out into the Ocean sometime before the last time the earth had lower sea levels and more ice in the higher lattitudes.
The artifacts suggest some ancients knew a lot more than we usualy suppose. Well i suppose the Antithikera mechanism proves that...Im still wondering if somehow with it you could work out latitude and longitude.Since it shows where the moon and planets are. If you dialed them into the device from your local location,and given the ancients knew the earth was round, and had some type of a globe,its not a great leap of imagination to work out your ground position. All the symbolism on it could just be the numonics to remember how it worked.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   
lol yeah Antarctica, hint hint come and see my pyramids!
yeah we should probably discover more of earth. or at least the oceans and Antarctica.
Just for the off chance that will show us more about everything. and i mean everything.
peace.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
they seen it from mars for so long of course they can map it.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:22 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:32 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   

they all had alien spaceships, thats how they knew !!!

or maybe its just like 99% of everything else we know of ourselves and other humans,,,,,,, other maps were bought / found/ word of mouth/ cartographed . they were then compared and new maps redone.

it only seems amazing because for the past 2500 years we have been lied to by science and religion and made to believe man is a retard.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:43 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   
That's a good find

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   

I am new to this site and find it fascinating. Ancient maps have always interested me. The ones you posted here are incredible. I'd love to know how to find some of these for closer examination.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The topic is -

Ancient Maps That Shouldn't Exist

Please keep the conversation on the topic.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join