It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ancient Maps That Shouldn't Exist

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:50 PM
link   
OP....That was one of the most interesting posts I have ever read. I have often thought about how we learned about maps when we were younger. Accurate maps from whatever era always say so much about human history. Earthly maps are like stellar maps...always something to look at non nonchalantly yet so telling of our history if you just spend a few more moments looking at.....whatever.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Awesome thread as usual! S&F.

I'm reading 'Fingerprints of the Gods' at the moment and Hancock described this sort of thing in the book. I'm only past the chapter about the Nazca lines, but the first few chapters were about ancient maps with a focus on Piri Reis. Always great to see those maps here.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are
reply to post by smyleegrl

Just recently the British Antarctic Survey released a map of what Antarctica looks like without ice. Here's a photo:

click thumbnail for larger image

www.antarctica.ac.uk...

edit on 3/26/2013 by this_is_who_we_are because: typo

That long mountain ridge running from the tip (near South America) to the other side of Antarctica reminds me alot of the Andes in high tall, and narow with a almost shear drop off on one side.....

Question: Does anybody know if there is a fault line running underneath Anatrctica? Surely only a fault line could produce such shear mountain ridges in Antartica ike the Andes have.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

I watch ancient aliens on tv, at first mainly for fun, but the more I see this kind of evidence, it really makes me wonder...were we visited by an extraterrestrial race that imparted this type of info?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
As Eratosthenes discovered (or rediscovered) the Earth was in fact spherical in or around 240 BC. It appears, especially from the appearance of 1538 Mercator map's design as it also appears to be drawn to give the viewer an idea the world is indeed spherical in nature.
Now unless this priceless information was lost or with held this would explain how we all ended up with a ridiculous story told to us at school how our ancestors believed they would sail off the edge of the world.

scienceblogs.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarsInDust

I watch ancient aliens on tv, at first mainly for fun, but the more I see this kind of evidence, it really makes me wonder...were we visited by an extraterrestrial race that imparted this type of info?

That is one possibility. The more likely one is that we were more advanced back then than we realize.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Ahh! I love historical threads!! Nice one, OP.

Now.. about the sedimentation from rivers:

Unless there is other evidence, i.e. trace fossils, pedogenic features, fossils, mineralogical data, petrographic data, x-radiographs, and other data that Hough (1950) does not present, it impossible to determine the origin of nonlaminated, well-sorted, fine-grained sediments as Hapgood (1966, 1970, 1979) has done. Also, well-sorted, fine-grained nonlaminated sediments can accumulate in climates ranging from polar to tropical (Potter et al. 1979). In fact, recent studies of the sedimentology and Quaternary geology of the Ross Sea actually document the presence of nonlaminated fine-grained sediments in the Ross Sea. A study of the modern surficial sediments of the Ross Sea by Anderson et al. (1984) shows that nonlaminated fine-grained sediments, i.e. silty clay, clayey silt, siliceous mud, and siliceous ooze are accumulating at this time within the Ross Sea despite the fact that it is currently be fed, not by rivers, but by ice streams and the ice shelf.

Ross Sea Sediment

Also.. the Piri Reis map in question:

So in response to people who ask how to explain why the Piri Reis Map shows the coastline of Antarctica accurately, the answer is - it doesn't. It especially doesn't show the subglacial coastline of Antarctica, which corresponds to the existing coastline of Antarctica around most of the continent anyway.

Piri Reis

All that said.. I still find the Finny maps to be astounding. At best, it shows amazing ancient technology and cartography that we've lost record of.. at worst, it allows for the imagination to run rampant in ways that we've almost forgotten. S&F for the thread, OP.

- Fim

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Dear OP, It is true that our ancestors knew far more than we are told.
Our history as told is far from truth. The history is based on a large number of assumptions, some supported by evidence but mostly just assumptions.

We live in a time of vice, a time full of dishonest and immoral men and women. So expecting truth from any quarter is expecting too much.

If you want to know the truth, you will have to learn meditation techniques. You will know the truth yourself without reading any book after some practice. You will be able to understand any knowledge or skill that ever existed on Earth.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by PLAYERONE01
As Eratosthenes discovered (or rediscovered) the Earth was in fact spherical in or around 240 BC. It appears, especially from the appearance of 1538 Mercator map's design as it also appears to be drawn to give the viewer an idea the world is indeed spherical in nature.
Now unless this priceless information was lost or with held this would explain how we all ended up with a ridiculous story told to us at school how our ancestors believed they would sail off the edge of the world.

That ridiculous story was invented by none other than Washington Irving in his "book" (mostly a fabrication) about Columbus.

If you learned in school that Christopher Columbus sailed from Spain in 1492 and crossed the Atlantic Ocean, disproving a common belief in those days that the Earth was flat, then the lesson was wrong.

Historians say there is no doubt that the educated in Columbus’s day knew quite well that the Earth was not flat but round. In fact, this was known many centuries earlier.

As early as the sixth century B.C., Pythagoras — and later Aristotle and Euclid — wrote about the Earth as a sphere. Ptolemy wrote “Geography” at the height of the Roman Empire, 1,300 years before Columbus sailed, and considered the idea of a round planet as fact.

“Geography” became a standard reference, and Columbus himself owned a copy. For him, the big question was not the shape of the Earth but the size of the ocean he wanted to cross.

During the early Middle Ages, it is true that many Europeans succumbed to rumor and started believing that they lived on a flat Earth.

But Islamic countries knew better and preserved the Greek learning. By the late Middle Ages, Europe had caught up and in some cases surpassed the knowledge of ancient Greece and medieval Islam.

Several books published in Europe between 1200 and 1500 discussed the Earth’s shape, including “The Sphere,” written in the early 1200s, which was required reading in European universities in the 1300s and beyond. It was still in use 500 years after it was penned.

Washington Post

So, it's true that "everything you know is wrong," if you know that "everyone" thought the Earth was flat.

Piri Reis' map shows not a single whit of Antarctica. The land mass along the bottom is absolutely the southern part of South America.

Why did Reis' map depict it this way? Maybe because of the shape of the skin at the lower left, where he ran out of room. Or, maybe because of the Treaty of Tordesillas:

On May 4, 1493 Pope Alexander VI took action to clear up any confusion that may have arisen over territorial claims. He issued a decree which established an imaginary line running north and south through the mid-Atlantic, 100 leagues (480 km) from the Cape Verde islands. Spain would have possession of any unclaimed territories to the west of the line and Portugal would have possession of any unclaimed territory to the east of the line.

Source
The curve in the southern part of South America shown on that map places much, MUCH more of it on the Portugese side of that line.

Reis' map plainly states that he drew on maps from Portugese sailors. In fact, it also states that the Arabs were the first to discover the New World. I wonder why no one ever seizes on that tidbit to create another fringe topic here at ATS?

Regarding other maps showing Antarctica, the term Antarctica was coined before the land mass was even known. IOW, the real continent of Antarctica was named after a postulated continent of Antarctica. Why did so many believe that such a huge land mass must exist (and thus drew it on maps?) If we are to believe what these people themselves stated, it was because they knew there had to be such a land mass, or else the Earth would be top heavy and would have already tipped over!

IOW, there's no mystery here.

Harte

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Excellent thread, these ancient maps have indeed been a mystery to cartographers without any conscious to their true origin, in particular those compiled from 'older source material' no longer known.

Regarding the cartographer Mercator. the 'Universal Transverse Mercator Projection' is still widely used today, in particular maps used by the US Dept of Defense and various US intelligence agencies. S & F

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
more proof we know little if anything about history and that most of what we do know is likely highly distorted.

cool stuff though. thank you.
edit on 26-3-2013 by david99118 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Oh good lord Piri Reis again

Nothing mysterious about it at all, see message from Harte above and 50-60 other threads on the same subject

You'll find all of these maps have been discussed ad nauseum on ATS - wanna guess what the conclusion is?

If you are actually interested in the map I would suggest reading

This detailed study on it

The Piri Reis Map of 1513 by Gregory C. McIntosh, ISBN 0-8203-2157-5

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
I've believed for a while now that there were cartographers who were somehow able to see Antarctica in a way that has evaded us "contemporary" folk with all our technology. These maps seem to prove that theory correct and beg the question, HOW?

Excellent thread.

Springer...

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Nothing mysterious about it at all, see message from Harte above and 50-60 other threads on the same subject

You'll find all of these maps have been discussed ad nauseum on ATS - wanna guess what the conclusion is?

Look everyone, it's Hans!

First Westerner (after the Arabs) to discover America! Source: Me.

Let's start a thread on that. Imagine how we've been lied to all this time!

Harte

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   
This in my opinion is where we should be focusing our efforts on to convince people there is something missing in history.

There must be many more examples out there of knowledge about places that shouldn't have been known or are currently spoken of as myth.
edit on 27-3-2013 by cartesia because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Has anyone read the book 'Finger prints of the Gods'? its a really good read and goes into detail about all of this. Ancient civilizations that had highly advanced technology and handed it onto the Egyptians Sumerians and many others, it stays away from the 'Alien intervention' story aswell. look it up people! very good read.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Brilliant stuff.
This is the kind of material I originally joined ATS for.

Also 330 flags in 2 pages? Is this a new record or something?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I absolutely love maps, so this was a very interesting read, I already knew some of it , but the rest was nice to ponder,. Thanks.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Great threat! Love to read about how primitive we actually are, compared to our distant ancestors. I have an addition to your threat you could find useful. You haven´t mentioned the Theatrum Orbis Terrarum Map, made in 1570. He based his work on the work of Mercator.

Ortelius's Theatrum Orbis Terrarum (Theatre of the World) is considered the first true atlas in the modern sense: a collection of uniform map sheets and sustaining text bound to form a book for which copper printing plates were specifically engraved. The Ortelius atlas is sometimes referred to as the summary of sixteenth-century cartography. Many of his atlas's maps were based upon sources that no longer exist or are extremely rare. Ortelius appended a unique source list (the "Catalogus Auctorum") identifying the names of contemporary cartographers, some of whom would otherwise have remained obscure. More than an original concept, the Theatrum was also the most authoritative and successful such work during the late sixteenth and early seventeenth centuries. Because it was frequently revised to reflect new geographical and historical insights, contemporary scholars in western Europe praised the Theatrum highly for its accuracy, even as they embraced the atlas's concept. The Theatrum atlas first appeared in 1570 and continued to be published until 1612. During this period, over seventy-three hundred copies were printed in thirty-one editions and seven different languages-a remarkable figure for the time.

images.fineartamerica.com...

Hope you find this useful. Keep up the good work!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Hey, but You did see that this thread is not only about Piri Reis right ?
Lets agree that this one has some shady background and lets move one to the other ones then .. Don't just dismiss the first one from the list and that's it

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join