It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Republicans Allowed to Challenge Voters Eligibility

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Truelies, as far as I can recall a discrepancy like that would be easily resolved by showing a current piece of mail. Everyone understands that people move. If his license has the new address most people wouldn't question that. The problem arose (most likely) because their list didn't have him there. A lot of people at polling places don't know the whole provisional ballot thing and if they don't see a name they don't know what the hell to do. Is it intentional? I doubt it, keep in mind who does this job. Thoroughly trained professionals or the nice lady you see there every year. A piece of mail with his name on it at your current address should most definitely solve the problem.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:11 AM
link   

After much debate and many appeals, a federal court ruled Tuesday morning that the Repubican Party could put people at polling places to "challenge the eligibility of voters." This could be a major speedbump for Democrats in Ohio.

Only Poll Workers can challenge...and frivolous challenges can be a felony, so it isn't something that would be done lightly... Pure scare-mongering...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
Only Poll Workers can challenge...and frivolous challenges can be a felony, so it isn't something that would be done lightly... Pure scare-mongering...

Some polling places (here IN Ohio) are requiring picture ID to be shown before being allowed to vote (if this doesn't make sense to you, I have no idea how to address voter fraud), others merely ask you to provide accurate responses to questions ("Mr. Smith, what is your first name, and address?"), not quite as good, but better than the "good to see you again today, step to the last booth on the right to vote" which is the norm in New Mexico.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Being that my polling place is in my building and the people working there are also residents of the neighborhood we do get a LOT of the "nice to see pal, step on up" type of situations. Those people have known me for 26 years, they know I live there etc etc.

In general, I think that with all the cries of voter fraud that are unquestionably going to arise, it might be helpful to require ID to be shown. Again, what is the big deal to show your license? If you've already registered to vote your name is in their system, you're just showing you're the right person. If you don't think there are abuses of the system then you are blind. Showing a license or something would help avoid a good chunk of it.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
I wish I could get someone from either party to challenge me, a 13th Generation American, I would smile at them right before I broke their jaw.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Being that my polling place is in my building and the people working there are also residents of the neighborhood we do get a LOT of the "nice to see pal, step on up" type of situations. Those people have known me for 26 years, they know I live there etc etc.

The "again" I referred to was a same day "again", not an "Election Tuesday" again...

We have some precincts in New Mexico that the Honorable Richard J. Daley would envy, and that's before we count the cemetery.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
I was challenged twice... and i smiled and told the old bag to "open yer lil' flippy book and i bet ya a $20 my name is there... it was, even though the well meaning $itch muttered "he shouldn't vote here... what is going on?". It's a simple situation... she thought the street i lived on was one on the other side of town... except that there are two steets with that name... a road and a drive... logic didn't play into her mind... she was to old to be taught she was wrong... so i was glad i didn't have to "convince her". I did have to reregister... i live in a republican district and my voter regisration strangely disappeared off the roles, just months before the election... if i hadn't read that that was happening, i wouldn't have checked...

Also... election reform yes... much needed

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies

My husband just got told that he had to go to another precint, so he called somebody who told him that was wrong, and to give him the name of the lady, so he's going back there tonight to give her #, the voter card had the current address on it, but they were trying to tell him he had to go to his previous precinct to vote...

If the current address is on there now why should he have to go to the former precint where he used to live?

He's pissed.

This has happened to me a couple of times in the past.............. and i am.....Republican....

I am getting ready to go vote now, i decided this time around not to vote early.

BTW...isn't the name of this thread misleading? Aren't people from both parties doing this?.....why put the blame only on Republicans for something Democrats are doing also?......

[edit on 2-11-2004 by Muaddib]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join