It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Republicans Allowed to Challenge Voters Eligibility

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:32 AM
link   
After much debate and many appeals, a federal court ruled Tuesday morning that the Repubican Party could put people at polling places to "challenge the eligibility of voters." This could be a major speedbump for Democrats in Ohio.

www.nytimes.com
COLUMBUS, Ohio, Tuesday, Nov. 2 - In a day of see-sawing court rulings, a Federal appeals court ruled early Tuesday morning that the Republican Party could place thousands of people inside polling places to challenge the eligibility of voters, a blow to Democrats who argued those challengers will intimidate minority voters.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

My view on this? The Democrats will file a counter-suit, and insist that they, too, must be allowed to place people at polling places. This is an unjustified attempt to disrupt the election, and may lead to another 2000-style situation.

[edit on 2-11-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   
There have been so many blatant attempts to influence and disrupt this election that it's clear we're in desperate need of election reform. All I know is, I'm taking my voter registration card, photo ID and S.S. card -- as well as my marriage certificate since the name on my photo ID and the voter card are different. Let 'em try to disqualify me, and I'll papercut them to death with all my paperwork!

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by waternorth
...and may lead to another 2000-style situation.
[edit on 2-11-2004 by John bull 1]

That's already been guaranteed my friend, long before any of this had even happened. The 2000 election opened the door for all of this nonsense and will most likely be a part of our election process for a long time to come.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate100
All I know is, I'm taking my voter registration card, photo ID and S.S. card -- as well as my marriage certificate

I'm sure that the voting machine will be very happy about it.
Halloween 2004 - last hours before almost all Americans accept to carry the mark
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:44 AM
link   
So you don't think your Social Security number is a Mark, eh? What about your credit/debit card numbers and those on your driver's license? We're all numbers, like it or not.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Didn't a court stirke this down? Thugs at the polls, that is just sickening and hasn't been a practice in this country since the reconstruction era. Really sad state of affairs man.
www.truthout.org...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 05:32 AM
link   
I think the republicans are maniacs.
They make conservatism look like something from the medieval ages where people with other ideas where burnt at the stake.

I pity the free people of the US.
-And in the end the rest of the world.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 07:11 AM
link   
Seen this before. The challenge procedure does not so much intimidate voters as it slows down the line infinitely. It makes it very very difficult for people to stay in line for hours upon hours, with kids at home, discomfort, jobs or other obligations. Many will go home, some won't get to vote. They make an infinite number of challenges in the polls where their micro-polling shows the democratic pockets sit.

This is nothing like democracy.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I just read about this on CNN. It turns out that each party is only allowed to have 1 challenger per district, so it shouldn't be too bad. As long as the Dem challenger keeps an eye on the Republican challanger, and vice versa, making sure they are doing their job and not disrupting peeople's legitimate attempt to vote.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 07:58 AM
link   
MoveOn.org has over 100000 people stationed at the polls as well challenging Republicans. There was a guy over on Free Republic who is a republican who was turned away by them this morning and who is all ticked off.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 08:10 AM
link   
I'm not sure how this is a bad thing and I think both sides should be doing it. In California we have a problem with illegal aliens voting. I think showing photo ID should be mandatory.

If I'm waiting in a 3 hour line I would like to know that I'm waiting behind people who are actually eligible to vote and not people who are fraudulently there.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Even though we are often on opposite sides of the fence, you have it right. We should all be looking to make sure all cast votes are legal, it's not about party today, it's about the United States of America.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by G_Scard

This is nothing like democracy.

AMEN

A little piece of you
The little peace in me
Will die
For this is not america

Blossom falls to bloom
This season
Promise not to stare
Too long
For this is not a miracle

There was a time
A storm that blew so pure
For this could be the biggest sky
And I could have
The faintest idea

Snowman melting
From the inside
Eagle spirals
To the ground
So bloody red
Tomorrows clouds

A little piece of you
The little piece in me
Will die
For this is not america

- David Bowie, slight change by Bout Time

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I've heard that many people are also receiving phone calls from people telling them that their precinct has changed, informing them that they need to vote at one at a location much further away....

If someone called and told me that I'd friggin have it with them over the phone...a virtual punch in the face and a verbal onslaught of four letter words...

Be smart people!

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Judges Limit Challengers at Ohio Polls Listen

All Things Considered, November 1, 2004 � Two federal judges rule that only poll workers may challenge voter eligibility in Ohio, warning that Republican and Democratic plans would disrupt the polling process. Appeals have already been filed in the key swing state. Hear Janet Babin of member station WCPN.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
MoveOn.org has over 100000 people stationed at the polls as well challenging Republicans. There was a guy over on Free Republic who is a republican who was turned away by them this morning and who is all ticked off.

It's impossible to get turned away. If there any prblems, you'd just fill out a provisional ballot. Does he mean the MoveOn people physically turned him away, 'moved him on'?

Like someone said earlier, someone is trying to make people stand six hours in line, hoping that the voters will get frustrated and just leave.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
'Challengers' harassing honest people and hoards of lawyers lurking in the shadows... the rest of the world watches in disbelief

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   

a blow to Democrats who argued those challengers will intimidate minority voters.

Could someone explain the logic of this asinine statement to me please?

Why would people challenging eligibility only "intimidate" minority voters. If this was going on at my polling place would I not be considered affected by this because I'm not a minority?

Amazing how Democrats took the wind out of their own argument by focusing it narrowly at these seemingly defenseless minorities who get bullied by old women (yeah, poll workers tend to be old women) instead of focusing on the large picture of American Voters being bothered at the polls. You can actually hear the argument deflate.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hecate100
There have been so many blatant attempts to influence and disrupt this election that it's clear we're in desperate need of election reform. All I know is, I'm taking my voter registration card, photo ID and S.S. card -- as well as my marriage certificate since the name on my photo ID and the voter card are different. Let 'em try to disqualify me, and I'll papercut them to death with all my paperwork!

My husband just got told that he had to go to another precint, so he called somebody who told him that was wrong, and to give him the name of the lady, so he's going back there tonight to give her #, the voter card had the current address on it, but they were trying to tell him he had to go to his previous precinct to vote...

If the current address is on there now why should he have to go to the former precint where he used to live?

He's pissed.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Only poll workers can challenge. It's on NPR.org

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join