It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual Items You May Need to Bug Out

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Thank you. The company's documentation has not been updated to reflect the newer versions of the device. I suggest contacting them re the heavy metals and the micron size would help in your analysis. I have seen 0.2 micron (I think the old model) and 0.02 micron for the newer model but it is hard to tell if any of this is simply a typo.

Whatever the case, it is a simple and effective tool for everyone's BOB especially while on the move.

They have a family model that lasts 18 times as long and as a survival SHTF scenario would give a whole family safe water until society starts to re-establish itself.

P

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

as long as you trust company answers.

Lol....not me. I will take my own sample and send it to the lab. I can test for most everything but bacteriological.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Hope you get to have dinner at Columbia's the night before anything kicks off the fun and games. We did and the next day went to St Pete Beach, the whole trip over I was thinking what a bear it would be to get back over the bay and not get stranded off the main. Gave me the willys. So kudos to you for thinking this through! During reading this thread it occurred to me....ya know the kids scooter things Razors? If you had one for a bigger kid, just sturdy enough to make the trip then it wouldnt matter if it was trashed when you hit the mainland, would this work? It wouldn't be incognito, but others would simply be walking it over anyway you'd just be making better time. One of the floatation devices I'm looking at, but for heaven's sake can't afford, it the yolo paddle boards. Can be navigated sitting or standing, has divit for cooler, or in this case cargo. Also its rigid construction so no compactablility either. Better yet, scour the local beaches for abandoned boats/dingys/surfs etc. Granted borrowing without the intend to return may not be in one's best ethical interest, but in shtf cases, alot of that gets weighed out on judgement day anyway.
ps still have fam in Tampa, just not sure they're on the same page. I was just down there in Feb, but glad to be back in the Appalachian Mts.

Unusual items in my bag, the light up flashy candy that looks like a globe or light saber, eat the candy for carbs and have handy little led lighty thing left over.
edit on 27-3-2013 by SunflowerStar because: item in bag

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I've got a pistol, a rifle and enough ammunition to rob every person/house I come across to keep me going for quite some time.

Preppers, I'm talking to you. You're my most unusual bug out bag necessity. Prey. Ha ha.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Every second house has a shotgun cartridge with your name on it. That is the problem with that style of thinking. You rob a few people and then a gang takes you out!

There are other more acceptable ways of acting.

P

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

You're right, and I was basically joking as I seem to be in almost every damn threads these days.

How ever I will say this, if it came to it I'm not above taking from others to keep my own. As sad as that may sound, I just think a little differently and many will resort to the exact same thing. Prepared or not.

Another note, it would be absolutely foolish of me to just waltz into a house.

I'd stake it out, look for signs of residence, cooking steam/smoke(fire). Listen and watch, I'd likely stake it out a few days, try to find out how many residents, wait until they come outside and put them down with my .223.

It will only be a matter of time before someone tries to move the body and I will hit the next. It's really disgusting to talk about, but in a matter of me and my own over someone else I would do it. Not sure many others wouldn't either. Almost every prepper, thinks about scenarios where they may have to take another life, I am not ashamed to say I've exhausted every scenario that may play out, including fulfilling the survival of myself and loved ones at the misfortune of another.

It's a last resort, but everyone's last comes at other times.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Still can not agree with you. Taking innocent lives, people who prepped and planned, just because you were too lazy or couldn't be bothered is not humane, it is just sad.

Now, would I kill you if I needed to, hell yes, no second thought. Scoped 7.62, bullet through the skull, no probs, you would not even know I was there, by the time you heard the shot, it would be game over.

P

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by pheonix358
reply to post by Hijinx

Still can not agree with you. Taking innocent lives, people who prepped and planned, just because you were too lazy or couldn't be bothered is not humane, it is just sad.

Now, would I kill you if I needed to, hell yes, no second thought. Scoped 7.62, bullet through the skull, no probs, you would not even know I was there, by the time you heard the shot, it would be game over.

P

I have prep, This thread was about unusual bug out items. I made a crack originally, and now I've gotten under your skin.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Originally you made a crack. Then you went on to explain how you would stake out and kill others to take what they have.

Sounds like you've prepped only to the point of psyching yourself up to kill and steal.

Have you ever considered observing, and then peaceably approaching others with an offer to share resources and defensive capabilities? Or is your world ONLY about you.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I thought it may help to have a visual of my dilemma here....

I'm at A...need to get to B. Circled are the 3 bridges.
The route line is my basic SHTF travel route to avoid the bridges. This takes some highways, but not the main arteries of the area, and there are opportunities to drive around clogs, debris, etc.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I'd say your route line seems the safest and with the most alternatives, therefore the best. Just hope the SHTF scenario isn't a tsunami.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:23 PM
link   

edit on 28-3-2013 by 2ndthought because: repeat post

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

It looks like you would have to paddle about 10 miles if you launch from the nearest shore. That would take 3-4 hours. That plus the 20 miles you may have to do on foot once on the other side, I think you would get home quicker on a bike, even taking the long way.

edit on 28-3-2013 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I guess the problem I see in driving to the bridge and pumping the raft up in my car stuck in the traffic jam is that then you have to run a gauntlet of trapped people carrying an obvious way across. Maybe it would be safer to scout an alternate more secluded launch point.
edit on 3/28/2013 by iforget because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

The funny thing is, as you are "scoping" out the area house for a "free" meal - someone is dropping lead on YOUR family - see how that works?

I will be prepared enough NOT to have to hunt my needs from someone else - I will have that taken care of. I will defend what is MINE to the death, but I will be prepped enough NOT to have to take.

You should spend more time actually prepping for a disaster and not thinking how you are going to get to kill someone to take their stuff. Simple answer "have enough of your OWN stuff ready".

That thought process may be lost on you however.

Dorian Soran

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2ndthought
reply to post by Hijinx

Originally you made a crack. Then you went on to explain how you would stake out and kill others to take what they have.

Sounds like you've prepped only to the point of psyching yourself up to kill and steal.

Have you ever considered observing, and then peaceably approaching others with an offer to share resources and defensive capabilities? Or is your world ONLY about you.

I love preppers!!!

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hijinx

Yep. As I thought. Only about you...

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by iforget

I guess the problem I see in driving to the bridge and pumping the raft up in my car stuck in the traffic jam is that then you have to run a gauntlet of trapped people carrying an obvious way across. Maybe it would be safer to scout an alternate more secluded launch point.

Definitely. I'm certainly going to try the land route first though. If I had to double back, and paddle, I'd pull off into the trees in the earlier parts of the bridge approach, and then launch (and do so at night).

Should only be about 3 miles, that's the length of the bridge.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by 2ndthought

You can't bother with some people. Could ants ever talk sense into grasshoppers?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I see your theory. However, if you launch somewhere like Safety Harbor to minimize your time in the water, you will still face a major hike to Thonot or areas beyond. Much of the area between is full of people. In a SHTF scenario, you will have a time getting through that on foot. Not to mention facing Hillsborough/Polk County Country boys who are gonna be locked and loaded. If you could find a way to hold on to your truck and get around using back roads, wouldn't you be better off? Maybe up through Tarpon Springs or something? A truck, while conspicuous, would provide a form of shelter if you can get through traffic. I am not doubting your plan. Just curious how you would handle things between the Bay and point B.

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join