It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unusual Items You May Need to Bug Out

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Tampons.

Well, they can be used for first aid of course...but they can be used in another way:

Females in prison aren't allowed tampons (here at least). Apparently there is enough plastic/synthetic material in them that they can be melted and sharpened into a shank (prison knife-like weapon).

Yes, you can make a shank out of a tampon.

*cue music*
"The more you know...."
edit on 26-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: spelling

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
A good way to get from one place to another quickly (assuming no vehicles) is kiteboarding. I know this is ridiculous as you are advertising where you are, but it would be fun and quick, or do it at night with nightvision goggles.

Sorry, the kid in me is trying to figure out ways to get around on the prairies.

S&F for thinking outside of the box... How much would a large fan a kite board weigh? How much would it support? How long can they go?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
When you finish your next wine cask keep the bag! They take up very little room when completely deflated. Duct tape them (mostly deflated) to your feet and you have flippers. Fully inflate and they will keep you afloat. Swim across the river taking breaks if you need them. Use one for a pillow. Great to store additional fresh water in.

As for you BOB, I believe that everything in it that can be damaged by water should be waterproofed. You just never know when jumping into water could save you. As an example, attacked by big dog, jump in water, dog jumps after you, grab dog's neck and push underwater! A dog cannot fight while swimming.

P

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by Invariance

Yep, took me almost a year of fiddling to get my BOB down to a schoolbag sized backpack with just the essentials. Thing is though, wading through a parking lot of cars filled with potential threats is a pretty bad idea I'm thinking, in a SHTF scenario.

If I could go UNDER them instead....
3 miles of paddling across the bay, vs. 30 miles on foot to get around it. At first, I was thinking of swimming, but with a BOB? So, the raft idea then came. Deflated, and oars unassembled, it would fit behind the rear seat of the truck, along with the BOB under the seat.

To give some idea, on a NORMAL day of rush hour traffic, it takes about 30-40 minutes to cross this 3 mile bridge..so now imagine it in a SHTF scenario.
edit on 26-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

You might want to do some scouting and check to see if there is a under structure to the bridges you might need to cross.

Many bridges have a catwalk structure that is used for maintenance. It is usually locked though, so bringing something to quietly breach the barrier would also be wise. Remember it is probably secured on both sides of the bridge, so don't toss your breaching device at the first one.

Although paddling is fun when all is calm, in a SHTF scenario I would much rather take the safe route if it is available.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MystikMushroom
Tampons.

Well, they can be used for first aid of course...but they can be used in another way:

Females in prison aren't allowed tampons (here at least). Apparently there is enough plastic/synthetic material in them that they can be melted and sharpened into a shank (prison knife-like weapon).

Yes, you can make a shank out of a tampon.

*cue music*
"The more you know...."
edit on 26-3-2013 by MystikMushroom because: spelling

They can also be used as tender for lighting a fire, or for filter material for filtering particles from water before you boil it for drinking/cooking.

For filtering cut the top half of a plastic bottle off. Lightly stuff (lightly stuff because packing them tightly will make this operation take "forever") them into the neck of the bottle so that it seals fairly well around the edges. Pour water into the top funnel shape you have created and through the filter material to get fairly particale free water. This might require disassembling the tampons to get the best surface area, only one is needed for use in a 1 liter bottle.

Boiling the water is not an option...It has to be done, filtering only removes the particulate matter not the pathogens. Bring to a boil and continue to boil for for at least 3 minutes....I know you will loose some to evaporation but, it is better than dying or getting sick, when it is easily preventable.
edit on 27-3-2013 by RobertF because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

You might want to do some scouting and check to see if there is a under structure to the bridges you might need to cross.

Many bridges have a catwalk structure that is used for maintenance. It is usually locked though, so bringing something to quietly breach the barrier would also be wise. Remember it is probably secured on both sides of the bridge, so don't toss your breaching device at the first one.

Although paddling is fun when all is calm, in a SHTF scenario I would much rather take the safe route if it is available.

There isn't. Think of an interstate overpass...that's the construction of these bridges. No kind of under structure at all. But, my first option is to definitely find a driveable route if at all possible, even if going way out of my way. The raft idea is really just more preparing for all contingencies (like if I get stuck in traffic, and now need to get across the bay). If I'm on foot before getting even close to my alternate routes, going across the bay in an hour may save me a DAY or TWO on foot going around it. That's worth even carrying the deflated raft in its box and inflating it by mouth or hand pump.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RobertF

You don't need to boil water for any longer than it comes to a boil...the water isn't going to get hotter and you are just wasting fuel and water.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Condoms

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

reply to post by RobertF

You don't need to boil water for any longer than it comes to a boil...the water isn't going to get hotter and you are just wasting fuel and water.

The reason for a 3 minute boil is to ensure all bacteria and viruses have been killed. It takes that long to kill some of them.. I have seen a 5 minute requirement as well.

P

edit on 27/3/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

edit on 27/3/2013 by pheonix358 because: steak and chips

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

I was thinking the same thing either I-275, Courtney Campbell Causeway or Howard Franklin. Anyone who lives on the west side of those bridges is going to play heck in a Bug out situation. Both of those bridges are always slow and packed on the morning news. I can't imagine the nightmare they would be in a shtf scenario. South end of I-275/Skyway, maybe not, there is quite a bit of swampy area down there outside of Parrish, Palmetto and Ellenton. That is, if you are already on the south end of the bridge when everything starts.

As for my unusual item, little beads of potpurri. The wax in them makes a good fire starter.
edit on 27-3-2013 by rhiannonslair because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Coffee filters and a small shrine to the Virgin of Guadalupe.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

That is not right though...it is often repeated as fact, but it isn't. The water isn't going to get hotter and to have something at a temperature that is lethal to it for a second or 30 mins doesn't matter. Would you be more dead if you stayed on the sun for an hour as opposed to a minute?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

That is not right though...it is often repeated as fact, but it isn't. The water isn't going to get hotter and to have something at a temperature that is lethal to it for a second or 30 mins doesn't matter. Would you be more dead if you stayed on the sun for an hour as opposed to a minute?

If you were staked out in a 50 degree desert would you die instantly, or would you take hours to die. Same for the nasties that can be in water. They don't all die in an instant. Temperature over time kills. Boiling water would kill you but not instantly.

P

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Still nope.

Boiling is the most certain way of killing all microorganisms. According to the Wilderness Medical Society, water temperatures above 160° F (70° C) kill all pathogens within 30 minutes and above 185° F (85° C) within a few minutes. So in the time it takes for the water to reach the boiling point (212° F or 100° C) from 160° F (70° C), all pathogens will be killed, even at high altitude.

My analogy was wrong, but my knowledge of water isn't.

Link
edit on 27-3-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

Edit#2: I do get the confusion though...just about every agency/environmental group/outdoorsman says to boil for minimum 3 minutes.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Still nope.

Boiling is the most certain way of killing all microorganisms. According to the Wilderness Medical Society, water temperatures above 160° F (70° C) kill all pathogens within 30 minutes and above 185° F (85° C) within a few minutes. So in the time it takes for the water to reach the boiling point (212° F or 100° C) from 160° F (70° C), all pathogens will be killed, even at high altitude.

My analogy was wrong, but my knowledge of water isn't.

Ok, I see your point, well made.

It is just that the CDC says differently. Link

Who do you believe! I have no problem with what you have said, none at all. Frankly I'll keep it at 3 minutes because it is an average of all the available info I have on the subject.

Having said that, your source is likely right.

P

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Incidentally, have you seen these. Useful when a fire is out of the question. Everyone should have one and not just in the BOB.

Life Straw

They have a family one as well.

P

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Yes, I think for liability issues, most government and public agencies would like to cover their aces, so they go overboard...that's so unlike government!

In a survival situation if I had the water and the fuel to burn, I would boil for longer just for peace of mind if I was giving the water to my children.

Edit: I have 4 of those in my BOB and we will actually be testing them when we go camping. I would like to actually pump water that I know is contaminated and then get it tested to see if it actually gets rid of them or not and what it actually filters out as far as heavy metals and such.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

If you do (and it is a great idea) please share the research. Those things are great just for peace of mind. I would love to find out if they remove chlorine! I accept why chlorine is used but would love to remove it before it hits my magnificent intestinal tract.

So far I have not been able to find rigorous data on them although many world organizations swear by them.

P

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

At my water plant we add chlorine but try to keep it towards the lower level of acceptable limits, it is a necessary evil (I don't want to drink any chemicals!) that aids in killing any bacteria that are present in the water mains, in your service lines and in your taps.

Don't worry about chlorine ingestion unless you bath in the rain.

Chlorine is a fat-soluble compound and just as much enters your body when you take a shower as when you drink it directly.

From link.

Edit: I think I will do the test this week just so I know what exactly it is taking out. I will do one example from the raw water, I should get the results by mid-April. I will share on here and I will also U2U you.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Found this from the company

"LifeStraw no longer contains iodine and filters down to .02 microns across, which means virtually all bacteria, protozoa, and parasites are filtered out (LOG 6 at least). There are no moving parts or chemicals, and the filtration is purely mechanical. It is much lighter than previous versions."

They have improved the device over time. Cannot find anything recent on heavy metals. The company does seem to be pretty good at answering questions though, as long as you trust company answers.

P

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join