It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italys Overturns Amanda Knox Murder Aquittal, Orders New Trial

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Prosecutor Giuliano Mignini ...

JACKING UP people who disagree with him in public (including a whole lotta' Americans).
Making up wild theories on multiple cases, which all eventually fall apart.
Slapping frivolous law suits on lots of people - Italians, Americans, whoever.
Ordering illegal investigations. Illegal wire tapping.
KEEPING AN ENEMIES LIST.

More on MIginini's bad behaviors

West Seattle Herald - Miginini not mentally stable

Sentencing Report for the Conviction of Miginini

Giuliano Mignini's Enemies List

He's fully involved in a whole lot of abuse of power and he's totally humiliated in public because of his own ineptitude and bad behavior. But I'm sure he was on the 'up and up' with Amanda Knox and wasn't trying 'extra' hard to get a conviction of a foreigner. (sarcasm) Yep .. no 'agenda' on his part ...

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

The legal system in the U.S is based off of the legal system in Europe with some obvious minor differences.

The common law became the basic law of most states due to the Commentaries on the Laws of England, completed by Sir William Blackstone in 1769, which became every American lawyer's bible. Today almost all common law has been enacted into statutes with modern variations by all the states except Louisiana which is still influenced by the Napoleonic Code. In some states the principles of common law are so basic they are applied without reference to statute.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This whole thing just seems fishy to me. From what I understand, Italy is one of those countries where an American on trial gives some of their politicians and talking heads an excuse to indite the whole U.S.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I have followed this case from the beginning. And, I am from the US. There were certainly different stories portrayed by the Italian (and European) media and the MSM stories in the US. Certainly there was bias in favor of Amanda here as compared to Europe.

The disturbing facts against Amanda:
1) Yes, her cartwheels did happen
2) Slandering/Implicating another person
3) Her character and behavior following the night of Meredith's death - odd to say the least. shopping etc.
4) Her whereabouts during that evening can only be corroborated by Sollecito
5) Supposed witness that saw them (her and Sollecito) the night of the murder, placing them at the flat

The DNA evidence was botched and police handled the crime scene poorly according to most accounts. In the US court system, she could have been convicted on circumstantial evidence alone. If not, she would have lost a civil lawsuit filed against her. So, Italian justice truly is not the issue imo. Maybe it's not totally fair, but the US isn't either. And, those without high dollar legal representation end up in jail, hence Guede's situation.

I really can't imagine the re-trial going anywhere. Without DNA analysis, I believe the case will not result in a conviction. Unless, a witness comes forward.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I feel very sad for Amanda an her loved ones. All the uncertainty and stress they will have to endure once again; my heart goes out to them.

I found an article that explains that she may not have to go back to Italy at all.

Link: www.newser.com...

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan The 'evidence' in this case is so flimsy that it never would have even gone to trial here in the USA (that's what the talking heads are saying).

Ever heard of the West Memphis 3?

------------------

Here is a revealing interview with pioneering FBI profiler John Douglas regarding the crime in Italy:

www.groundreport.com...

KE: What was your conclusion of the behavioral profiles you conducted?

JD: From the profiles created, none of the behavioral or forensic evidence leads to Amanda and Raffaele. There's no history or experience related to violence or mental illness in their backgrounds. This is not a case of serial killers, cold blooded murderers. They used marijuana, but that’s not some hard core drug that will change a normal personality. They should’ve walked out of there.

KE: What behavioral evidence should there have been?

JD: Well, fleeing for one, which only Guede did. They would’ve been nervous, may drink heavily, or become rigid in their personalities, behaviors along that line – certainly not buying underwear and kissing. The fact that they were kissing - people looked at this as a sign of guilt, if anything; I look at it as a sign of innocence.

These two individuals – Amanda and Raffaele, for them to commit this horrific crime and leave the crime scene that way – it was a massacre – and then hours later, be back at the crime scene, just doesn’t fit. These were two young people who couldn't fathom what had taken place. ..

KE: Do you believe more than one person could've killed Meredith?

JD: Based on my experience, the crime scene does not indicate the presence of three individuals in the room where Meredith was murdered, only one. What was done to the victim, the way in which the crime occurred, was not the result of three people. This can be concluded without a DNA test.

KE: And third suspect, Rudy Guede?

JD: Behavior reflects personality. And that behavior fits only Rudy Guede. Guede has the history; he was an experienced criminal, he had the motive and all evidence points to him. It was a brutal, bloody homicide, and it’s a reflection of his personality. And that behavior was exhibited at the crime scene. That’s his “canvas”; the result is his “artwork” of the subject (victim). ...

KE: What was the motive?

JD: The primary motive was burglary. But we have an opportunistic offender here. And that opportunity was presented when Meredith came home, and she became the victim of the opportunity.

KE: There are many who’ve said covering Meredith’s body with a duvet proves the murderer was female.

JD: That’s absurd. There are different reasons why someone will cover a body. There's a certain sense of wanting to undo the crime. Guede didn’t leave after the crime, but he doesn’t want to look at her. It’s not that he didn’t feel good about what he has done; I can see that because of the way he killed her and sexually assaulted her. He’s a sadistic individual with a violent past. He put the blanket over her because he was wandering around the apartment and didn’t want to see her.

Sadly, this was a very pedestrian murder. And that’s not to diminish this beautiful woman’s life, Meredith. It’s not that complicated, crimes are not so complicated. After a week, I would’ve said to the investigators on the case, “Are you kidding me? You mean you haven’t arrested the guy?” ...

Two people were convicted that should have never been convicted. The media pictured Amanda as a cold-blooded murderer. Frankly, I was surprised that they were charged. I was surprised by the conviction. The appeal is wrong. It’s wrong because of the lack of concrete evidence. No forensic evidence, no behavioral evidence. Nothing points to their guilt. They’ve got nothing.

/
edit on 26-3-2013 by starviego because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Poor Amanda Cox my arse....what about the poor girl who died eh?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by destination now

Still reading this thread, but had to stop here.

Originally posted by destination now
And don't forget Amanda's co-accused is Italian, so your theory about American-hating Italians

I completely disagree with this easy dismissal on your part. I know very well what is thought by some Italians about other Italians who cohort with 'foreigners'. It didn't used to be this way...but that was long ago.

Italy has changed over the last thirty years. Prejudice is easily visible in many places it wasn't found before.

Sad, but true.

Italians used to be the warmest people on the planet. Not anymore.

I think you also should educate yourself on the Italian Judicial system, it is not dictated by emotional mob rule and tabloid frenzy, and if you truly believe that it does, then I doubt there is anything anyone can say to convince you otherwise...

:shk:

Again, completely wrong in my view. I take it either you don't know Italy very well, or suffer from a denial all your own.

Moreover, such a judicial infirmity isn't distinctly Italian. In fact, I am unaware of a single judicial system anywhere in the world that has it so right that they are immune from such things. All judicial systems are fallible. People are people no matter the nationality, and are easily influenced by such nonsense.

Italy has no great skill in this area. In fact, far from it.

Is Knox guilty? I have no idea. But what she claims is completely possible too, imo.

edit on 26-3-2013 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
I feel very sad for Amanda an her loved ones. All the uncertainty and stress they will have to endure once again; my heart goes out to them.

I found an article that explains that she may not have to go back to Italy at all.

Link: www.newser.com...

I feel very sorry for Meredith and her loved ones, All of the uncertainty and stress they will have to endure once again, my heart goes out to them,

It does go both ways and Meredith is the only one who does not have another chance, she was brutally murdered and sexually abused...God only knows what she suffered...

But apparently we are to have a book detailing all of Amanda's pain, so we won't be left guessing...

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Xenophobia is truly alive and well on this thread...I see so many posters here who live in an exclusive bubble, only seeing what they are told to see and only believing what they are told to believe...Denying Ignorance? Not so on this thread so it seems...

The Italian judicial system is not so corrupt as you would like to believe, it is no more corrupt and unjust as your own, yet both systems mostly have a way of distinguishing who is genuinely innocent and who is guilty, unless it involves an important person or corporation of which Amanda Knox was neither!

edit on 26-3-2013 by destination now because: but should have been and

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

And don't forget Amanda's co-accused is Italian, so your theory about American-hating Italians

I completely disagree with this easy dismissal on your part.

I found and posted information showing that the corrupt prosecutor has a history of 'jacking up' people who disagree with him. And he's gone after Americans. Perhaps he thinks they are easy targets. He tried to nail her when she didn't have an attorney or a translator ... or even food or water.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ibiubu

I would say items 1and 3 are slightly odd at best.

4 - Without a reasonable motive, the two being together is a reasonable proof of their whereabouts.

5 - Being that she lived there the witness would have had to put them there at the time of the crime. Then what about the convicted killer who was clearly guilty?

2 - Was her accusation slander? Wasn't the bar very close to the apartment? Did the prosecutor really go after this guy, or was it for show? The behavior of this guy could also be considered odd.

Without any physical evidence coupled with a convicted perp who is obviously guilty, hard to believe she was convicted in any court.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Poor Amanda Cox my arse....what about the poor girl who died eh?

BOTH are victims.
The girl who died was the victim of murder.
Amanda Cox is the victim of a corrupt prosecutor trying to reclaim his name after he screwed up.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by destination now

Xenophobia is truly alive and well on this thread...I see so many posters here who live in an exclusive bubble, only seeing what they are told to see and only believing what they are told to believe...Denying Ignorance? Not so on this thread so it seems...

The Italian judicial system is not so corrupt as you would like to believe, it is no more corrupt and unjust as your own, yet both systems mostly have a way of distinguishing who is genuinely innocent and who is guilty, unless it involves an important person or corporation of which Amanda Knox was neither!

It's funny how you actually undermined yourself in this thread by incorrectly making assumptions about my personal experience and identity, but assert certitude about Knox's guilt.

I can assure you my opinion has NOTHING to do with prejudice against Italians.

Let's just say I'm intimately familiar with both cultures and systems.

*yawn*

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Xenophobia is truly alive and well on this thread

Playing the Xeno-card. Epic fail.
Telling the truth isn't 'xenophobia'. It's just telling the truth.
Severe lack of evidence. Corruption on the part of the prosecutor. That's the truth.

The Italian judicial system is not so corrupt as you would like to believe,

The prosecutor was CONVICTED of corruption. It is VERY alive and well.
You are in denial.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:03 PM
link   
From my understanding, i am not a lawyer or professional in the law field, is that the Italian system must differ according to re-trying people, which seems odd - But those are the rules. Also, they can interrogate you for 40 hours without a lawyer. I read that on another forum so i will not link to it, but i found it through google easy enough. Feel free to correct this anyone familiar with the justice system. Other than that they seem very similar.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Originally posted by FlyersFan
...corruption...

You are in denial.

What's ironic is the entire Beppe Grillo movement is based in large part upon this one issue alone.

Italians are sick of the corruption that exists there. But destination now wants people to believe there is nothing to worry about in that regard.

Honestly, DN, I'm not picking on you, but you've really lost all credibility with me on this subject.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
Italians are sick of the corruption that exists there. But destination now wants people to believe there is nothing to worry about in that regard.

New York Times - Lack of Safeguards Enables Italy Corruption, Report Says

And as we've seen .. the corrupt prosecutor did a 'trial by press' with Amanda Knox.
He had her tried and hung by the press ... and a mob mentality ensued.

The Italian Justice System - Injustice in Perugia

The jury wasn't sequestered. The jury associated with the lawyers when they went to lunch at restaurants during the trial. During court recess, jurors had lunch and coffee at the same cafe's as the lawyers and journalists did. Jurors were allowed to discuss the case and follow all of the press coverage.

The civil trial ran at the same time as the murder trial. The illegal interrogation of Amanda Knox was ruled inadmissible in the murder trial by the Italian supreme court. The civil trial was conducted at the same time as the murder trial, so the jury had the results of the illegal interrogation read to them anyway. The prosecution was able to ignore the supreme court ruling by presenting the information to the exact same jury during the civil trial

And only 16 percent of Italians trust their Justice System. 16% !!!!!!

According to a November 2009 poll by Euromedia research group, only sixteen percent of Italians fully trust the current justice system in Italy. Just two years ago, the figure was twenty eight percent. Italian civil rights groups are intense in their criticism of what they view as kangaroo courts.

Here's a whole book on the corruption of judicial systems. And here's the Italian part ..

UK Telegraph - Italy as Corrupt as Ever Says Prosecutor

Italy is still universally corrupt and unjust, according to one of the country's leading public prosecutors, who has said he will quit in May. Gherardo Colombo, 61, handed in his notice after a 33-year career in which he handled some of the country's most important trials.

Mr Colombo was one of the "Clean Hands" prosecutors who tried to stamp out corruption in the 1990s, even bringing former prime minister Bettino Craxi to court. Mr Craxi, who was convicted, fled to Tunisia and later maintained that taking bribes were part of the "cost of politics" in Italy.

Mr Colombo said he was quitting because "the culture of this country is based above all on cunning and privilege". He added: "Since the statute of limitations and other laws were changed or annulled, we have arrived at a complete renaissance of corruption." The resignation has left the Italian justice system shell-shocked ..

Reuters - Overloaded Justice System Ties Italy in Knots

Statistics like this give a glimpse into a chaotic, byzantine legal system which not only reduces citizens to despair and has senior judges tearing out their hair, ...

The Guardian UK

Can justice ever be served in Italy? The absolute need to reform Italy's dysfunctional justice system is not in question, but many doubts exist as to whether, if such a reform were to finally be carried out, it would even start to resolve the system's enduring problems ..

PLENTY MORE articles like these ... easy to find ...

edit on 3/26/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
i have to admit the entire story does sound fishy and i would not be opposed to a more thorough investigation and trial. i just want to point out 2 things.

1. she wasn't doing cartwheels she was doing yoga and by all accounts she would do yoga in the strangest of scenarios.
2. why didnt rudy guedde implicate amanda or her boyfriend and take the fall all by himself?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
she wasn't doing cartwheels she was doing yoga and by all accounts she would do yoga in the strangest of scenarios.

If it was YOGA then that makes perfect sense. Yoga is for calming people during stressful situations. A person who uses YOGA in their life would certainly find being arrested and JACKED UP by a insane prosecutor to be stressful. If it's yoga as you say ... that makes a lot of sense. She would have used it to de-stress the same way a catholic would pick up a rosary and start praying and meditating in order to de-stress ...

ETA .. that 'cartwheels' thing must have been part of the prosecutors 'trial by press' .. putting out tabloid stories about Amanda Knox in order to taint the jury and public opinion. He did a good job of it ... :shk:

edit on 3/26/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join