It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italys Overturns Amanda Knox Murder Aquittal, Orders New Trial

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Really?? Someone else has already been convicted of this murder. The 'evidence' in this case is so flimsy that it never would have even gone to trial here in the USA (that's what the talking heads are saying). But the family of the murder victim just 'got what they wanted' with this aquittal being overturned??? What is it with them?? The killer is already behind bars.

If I were Amanda Knox I wouldn't ever step foot outside the USA again.

Italys Highest Court Overturns Amanda Knox Aquittal in Murder Case, Orders New Trial

Italy's highest criminal court on Tuesday overturned the acquittal of Amanda Knox in the slaying of her British roommate and ordered a new trial, prolonging a case that has become a cause celebre in the U.S.

The Court of Cassation ruled that an appeals court in Florence must re-hear the case against the American and her Italian-ex-boyfriend for the murder of 21-year-old Meredith Kercher. The exact issues that have to be reconsidered won't be known until the court releases its full ruling.

Lawyers for Knox and her ex-boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito looked grim as they huddled with prosecutors and court officials to get details after the ruling was issued. Lawyers for the Kercher family said they had got what they wanted.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Apparantly the U.S. and Italy have an extradition treaty, so she'll probably have to go to sidestep an international incident. This is tragic for Amanda Knox and her ex, and will uproot all the emotions and worries and her parent's worse fears again.

"WHAT, ME WORRY? MAMA MIA!"

edit on 26-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Would be a travesty if they did find her guilty and then the US allowed her extradition to Italy to serve this kangaroo court's sentence

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister
Apparantly the U.S. and Italy have an extradition treaty,

Yep. The talking heads on TV are saying that the US doesn't usually honor it.
I can see why. That Italian court system is a sick joke.
Run by emotional mob rule and tabloid fodder ... :shk:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:30 AM
link   

You do realise that refusing to extradite her (very high profile case) will lead to serious extradition issues between Europe and the USA? I bet all the hackers over here are rubbing their hands with glee!

I am glad there is to be a retrial. Hopefully, this time they get to the bottom of it.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:34 AM
link   

I can see the US complying with an extradition if Italy complained and said this would hurt relations with the USA

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

You do realise that refusing to extradite her (very high profile case) will lead to serious extradition issues between Europe and the USA? I bet all the hackers over here are rubbing their hands with glee!

I am glad there is to be a retrial. Hopefully, this time they get to the bottom of it.

Refusals happen all the time; see Mexico with known murders wanted in the United States. It doesn't create an international uproar.

Question to you though.....why are you glad? Because you think she is guilty? Because you don't agree with the peer-based trial? The State (in this case, Italy) failed to make its case and was piss-poor in trying her. Should we just continue with this until you are satisfied?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Guede did it.
A conviction has already happened in this case .. and it's not Knox.
Amanda Knox was mistreated by the Italian police and Italian courts.
She wasn't given an interpreter .. food ... water .... medical care ...
She was railroaded by the tabloids.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

gotta wonder if Flavian is somehow connected in some way with the victim or his family with his comment....
bad investigation and evidence collection killed this, why keep beating a dead horse?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:40 AM
link   
I read yesterday that she or her family said she'll go it a new trial is ordered. This time she should get her book published in Italian, sell tee-shirts and other memrobilia, and cash in on her celebrity. But what if they convict her again????? Sounds impossible now, but the Italian Supreme Court did order a new trial, which seems as far off-base as her being convicted the first time.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
Glad also this is the right call.....yes the Italian cops bungled the investigation, but that doesn't mean she is innocent.
Many cases get thrown out due to a technicality, doesn't mean the accused is innocent.

Still too many unanswered questions.....

Personally, think she played a major part in Meredith's death.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by celticniall
Glad also this is the right call.....yes the Italian cops bungled the investigation, but that doesn't mean she is innocent.
Many cases get thrown out due to a technicality, doesn't mean the accused is innocent.

Still too many unanswered questions.....

Personally, think she played a major part in Meredith's death.

So the State failed to prove her guilt and you say continue on? I am guessing you are dismissed during jury selection when your duty comes around. Her innocence is held until the State can prove otherwise and in this case, it was shown that the State could not prove it. I guess because you have reservations though, she should rot in prison due to your "unanswered" questions.
edit on 26-3-2013 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

How do we know Guede did it? The whole thing was badly handled from the start. A fresh trial will look properly at all the evidence and after the uproar last time, no stone will be left unturned.

I am not in the slightest concerned with Amanda Knox or with Sollecito. My concern is with the victim, Meredith Kercher and with her family. Justice must be served properly. If it turns out after retrial that they are innocent and someone else is guilty then fair enough. However, for enough people (myself included), there is a very strong suspicion that Knox is guilty (even if it is just covering up).

Basically, a retrial will allow justice to be served properly one way or the other.
edit on 26-3-2013 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

How many trials do you want before you accept the decision of a jury? There have already been two; I guess three is truly the magic number for some.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:57 AM
link   
Lots of people didn't get in on the first money train so it's time to

"ALL ABOARD"!!!!!!

Amazing what money can do to people

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   

How do we know Guede did it?

DNA Evidence proved it.
Eyewitness' had him running from the scene.

Rudy Guede, an Ivory Coast native raised in Perugia, was convicted in October 2008 of having sexually assaulted and murdered Kercher and was sentenced to 16 years in Italian prison. Based on SCIENCE (DNA) and eyewitnesses.

edit on 3/26/2013 by FlyersFan because: got the number wrong

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:59 AM
link   

for enough people (myself included), there is a very strong suspicion that Knox is guilty

That's because of the 'trial by tabloid' that went on.
You fell to the 'rule by emotional mob' conviction.
The EVIDENCE doesn't support that conclusion.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
reply to post by Flavian

How many trials do you want before you accept the decision of a jury? There have already been two; I guess three is truly the magic number for some.

There was one trial and one sitting before an Appeals Tribunal. I would like there to be a proper trial. I detest the fact that since day 1 on ATS, Americans refuse to believe she is guilty. She may be, she may not be. The original trial and investigation was so flawed that we do not know either way - not really. What if this was reversed and it had been a Brit student accused of the murder of a US citizen? The calls for a proper trial would be deafening.

Do her family not deserve the same?

All 3 had DNA present, so do not simply keep parroting that phrase. It is disingenuous. Like i said earlier, they may or may not be guilty. Only a proper trial will establish that.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
Well since one of my heroes in life is that of John Adams; a man who fought ardently against British rule but yet believed in the fairness of trial as so much to defend the British soldiers involved in the "Boston Massacre", I can care less about the nationality of the accused. What I care about is the fact that the State, in this case Italy, could not provide sufficient evidence that Knox was involved and based its case on flimsy evidence and shoddy police work.

It is up to the State to prove the guilt, not public opinion; regardless of what we think. In this matter, the State cannot and is now grasping at straws in hopes of what? It is noted that the United States is not compelled to extradite Knox (shown to be innocent via the last court) nor is Italy compelled to make it an international matter. This is for show in my opinion.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

There was one trial and one sitting before an Appeals Tribunal. I would like there to be a proper trial.

You mean a trial that doesn't have Amanda Knox railroaded by the anti-american Italian press? You mean a trial that wouldn't include so called 'evidence' that was taken from Amanda Knox while no interpreter was present for her?

Dude ... there was a trial. The appeals court did the right thing and overturned the conviction.

I detest the fact that since day 1 on ATS, Americans refuse to believe she is guilty.

There is no evidence that she did the crime. I detest the fact that some want to fry her .. simply because she's American and simply because they believed the Italian tabloids.

All 3 had DNA present, so do not simply keep parroting that phrase. It is disingenuous.

Oh please.

The appeals court agreed that the DNA collections on the kitchen knife were faulty .. that Amanda Knox had used items in the apartment multiple times and that there easily could have been traces of her DNA all over the place since she was frequently there.

None of her DNA was linked to the crime. The appeals court agreed.
She was railroaded by corrupt prosecutors.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join