It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK search and rescue goes US!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:05 AM
link   
I ask you, is the UK going mad? Ok do not answer. Just consider the following.

Till 2014 search and rescue will be performed by the RAF and Navy, but because the helicopters are getting old, Bristow (A US company) has been awarded a multi million pound contract to take on the responsibility.

Bristow have provided ferry services to offshore rigs, as well as S&R services to the Scottish Islands, so no doubt they have a good record.

But.. does this mean that the RAF and Navy will not now have helicopters? I doubt that so it means aircrew will not now have so much to do, thus be a drain on resources.

To my mind, provide new helicopters and continue to use the trained/trainee flight crews to provide a service rather than sell out another bit of the UK to the lowest bidder.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Oh joy, my life is now in the hands of a company which is responsible to shareholders instead of an outfit which is responsible to the media.

If someone dies due to cutbacks when S&R is run by the government, there will be outrage in the media. The upper management are therefore very keen to provide the best possible service to anyone who might need it.

If someone dies due to cutbacks when S&R is run by a private company, there will be little to no backlash. The upper management will therefore be very keen to save as much money as possible while maintaining the façade of 100% operational capacity.

You see S&R teams practising all day up and down dangerous coast, sometimes it can be fairly annoying, but I'd rather have them doing that than say a twice monthly rotating training schedule to save money.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Yes, I have to agree.

I think Bristow lost a couple of helicopters last year in the North Sea, I may be wrong, and think everyone was saved, but you are correct. Cheap is good!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by dowot

No, it was CHC (Canadian based firm), not Bristow, my mate was due to go offshore to the rig on the flight after the one that went down in October last year, Bristow however suspended flights from the same model.

As for the story, it's just another example of Britain selling out, it doesn't surprise me anymore.
edit on 26/3/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by dowot

No, it was CHC (Canadian based firm), not Bristow, my mate was due to go offshore to the rig on the flight after the one that went down in October last year, Bristow however suspended flights from the same model.

As for the story, it's just another example of Britain selling out, it doesn't surprise me anymore.
edit on 26/3/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

The government has always sold us out!

Bristows was(is) a British company, now HQ'd in Houston and used to run 4 Search and Rescue bases for HM Coastgaurd (Porland, Lea-on-Solent, Stornaway and Slumbergh(spelling)) and used (not sure if they still do) train UK SAR crews, a lot of the developments in flight safety come from Bristows.

I think I mentioned previously having worked in SAR operations (albeit back office) and have to admit that I think, given how deeply the Gov are cutting services that this is about the only instance I believe a private company would be better at managing the service than the current lot in power, or those waiting in the wings to take power.

edit on 26/3/13 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Give it another 5 years and our Fire Service, Health Service and Police force will all be private.
Everything is being sold of to MP's mates and family members!!!!!

The prison service and education system is already in private hands, we see how well that works dont we

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

Already Bristow is cutting the service....Suffolk just lost their search and rescue team!!!! 2 less choppers on the east coast looking out for peoples safety.

Scummy shareholders!!!!!

top topics

join