It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Plasma actuators on aircraft

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:10 AM
link   
It's been open source since about 2004. The emitters now are not just on the leading edge (B-2) but can be built into the surface as little divots all around, and used for control flow. (ever wonder why the front edge 'beak' of the B-2 was so sharp? Where is the electric field the highest? Seems to fit together now).

SBIR in 2004, report in 2007.

www3.nd.edu...

Basic paper in 2004.

pop.aip.org...

Aerodynamic flow acceleration using paraelectric and peristaltic electrohydrodynamic effects of a One Atmosphere Uniform Glow Discharge Plasma

The development of the One Atmosphere Uniform Glow Discharge Plasma has made it possible to cover the wings and fuselage of aircraft with a thin layer of glow discharge plasma at low energy cost. This plasma layer provides, through Lorentzian collisions, a purely electrohydrodynamic coupling between an electric field and the neutral gas in the boundary layer. This coupling is strong enough to cause aerodynamically significant acceleration and manipulation of the boundary layer and free stream flow, including re-attachment of flow to an airfoil at high angles of attack, and the peristaltic induction of neutral gas flow by a traveling electrostatic wave on the surface of a flat plate. © 2003 American Institute of Physics.

I think I know what the difference between domestic and export F-35 is supposed to be: one of them glows in dark. We need the Boeing 808 Plasmaliner at 35% less fuel consumption.

edit on 26-3-2013 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Once you go plasma, you never go back again.

You can also use the plasma system as control surface - you just expose some wing to laminar flow and maneuver by drag.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
So how does the plane, B2 Spirit or otherwise generate the plasma/electromagnetic field? I mean we are talking millions if not billions of Volts required to generate this type of field.

Do they similarly employ some kind of circular, plasma filled accelerator ring/Magnetic Field Disrupter like the Astra TR-3B allegedly utilise?
edit on 26-3-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
So how does the plane, B2 Spirit or otherwise generate the plasma/electromagnetic field? I mean we are talking millions if not billions of Volts required to generate this type of field.

The papers seemed to show it requires oscillating circuits with kilovolts, which is feasible with standard technology.

Do they similarly employ some kind of circular, plasma filled accelerator ring/Magnetic Field Disrupter like the Astra TR-3B allegedly utilise?
edit on 26-3-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

I think that's a load of baloney.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   
Review article.

www.annualreviews.org...

The term plasma actuator has now been a part of the fluid dynamics flow-control vernacular for more than a decade. A particular type of plasma actuator that has gained wide use is based on a single–dielectric barrier discharge (SDBD) mechanism that has desirable features for use in air at atmospheric pressures. For these actuators, the mechanism of flow control is through a generated body-force vector field that couples with the momentum in the external flow. The body force can be derived from first principles, and the effect of plasma actuators can be easily incorporated into flow solvers so that their placement and operation can be optimized. They have been used in a wide range of internal and external flow applications. Although initially considered useful only at low speeds, plasma actuators are effective in a number of applications at high subsonic, transonic, and supersonic Mach numbers, owing largely to more optimized actuator designs that were developed through better understanding and modeling of the actuator physics. New applications continue to appear through a growing number of programs in the United States, Germany, France, England, the Netherlands, Russia, Australia, Japan, and China. This review provides an overview of the physics and modeling of SDBD plasma actuators. It highlights some of the capabilities of plasma actuators through examples from experiments and simulations.

------------------------------------------

Remember the Big Black Triangles moving slowly? "Though initially considered useful only at low speeds...."

It looks like it is developing sufficiently rapidly that this tech will be as standard as ailerons and flaps. Those weren't always there.

The device physics has been solved, now the problem is control systems & simulation, but that can be addressed rapidly.

www.gamm2010.uni-karlsruhe.de...

www3.nd.edu...

What happens in the rain?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
What happens if you use this same effect on the inside of a turbine engine???

Do some research on the Nazi stealth bomber they revealed recently... it had a carbon coating on the surface, too. Was this for holding charge?

Also, just because this info is coming forward doesn't mean this technology can't have other implications. It takes time for things to become fully visible.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheKeyMaster

If you can do it at high temperatures and pressures you might be able to increase engine RPM and thus power and maybe efficiency.

Do some research on the Nazi stealth bomber they revealed recently... it had a carbon coating on the surface, too. Was this for holding charge?

Early attempt at radar absorption.

Also, just because this info is coming forward doesn't mean this technology can't have other implications. It takes time for things to become fully visible.

It's perfect for UAV's and cruise missiles. Would it work on a SAM or AAM? (they're going very fast).

One problem:

Dielectric barrier discharge is accompanied by high intensity radio
frequency electromagnetic noise.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by mbkennel
If you can do it at high temperatures and pressures you might be able to increase engine RPM and thus power and maybe efficiency.

Nick Cook said in his book The Hunt For Zero Point that electrogravitics made aircraft slip through the air like a bar of soap slips through your hands when wet... Imagine that same principle used in an engine..

Early attempt at radar absorption.

Or is that disinformation and the electrogravitic charge is what absorbs the radar?

It's perfect for UAV's and cruise missiles. Would it work on a SAM or AAM? (they're going very fast).

I was thinking of gravity control capabilities. Read Paul LaViolette's book.

They probably have some way of avoiding this problem... maybe that's what HAARP is for.... shoot it at a certain geographic location and you can create noise to allow your stealth craft to go undetected. Something like that... It could have something to do with frequency as well.

What I would really like to do is see how they might have hid this info before.... how would they prevent other scientist from making info like this public or using it in other devices.... just think of all the possible uses for this.

Ion wind fans and lifters were likely targeted with disinfo to prevent this info from being widely known..

edit on 26-3-2013 by TheKeyMaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
How do you shield the aircraft's systems from the EMF / RF emissions and how do you keep the emissions from being detected by air or surface based detectors, a.k.a. antennas?

edit on 3/26/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Wiki page on plasma actuators

Originally posted by abecedarian
How do you shield the aircraft's systems from the EMF / RF emissions and how do you keep the emissions from being detected by air or surface based detectors, a.k.a. antennas?

Given the number of civil aircraft that could use this, who cares??
edit on 26-3-2013 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   

In the B-2s case the insides of the craft had a Faraday cage protecting them. They likely only switch it on at certain times as well.

You could design a conventional craft in such a way that elements of the craft were sheathed and some weren't.

For more info on this read Paul Laviolette's book on electrogravitics - which is antigravity. The book is called Secrets of Antigravity Propulsion.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
It's really disturbing to me this isn't getting more attention on this site.... this shows why dumbing the population down about science is so important and effective for the powers that be....

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

In rain, dense cloud, or suspended particulates, you have trouble with the plasma sheath but it's still possible to do. Rain and fog speeds the recombination time so you have to crank up the output. It's worse at low speeds, at higher speeds, the airflow tends to turn the rain/fog parallel to the wing so that you're able to blend in with it.

It causes more problems with older one-point systems like a B-2, since you can't compensate for local 'wetouts'.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bedlam

In rain, dense cloud, or suspended particulates, you have trouble with the plasma sheath but it's still possible to do. Rain and fog speeds the recombination time so you have to crank up the output. It's worse at low speeds, at higher speeds, the airflow tends to turn the rain/fog parallel to the wing so that you're able to blend in with it.

It causes more problems with older one-point systems like a B-2, since you can't compensate for local 'wetouts'.

How do you know the B-2 was a "one-point system"?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Actually, I just saw the AF let a TS contract on that one. I told Zaphod about it. They want to sheath the intake compressor and there's something to do with the combustor physics, they've got some cites but they're all pay-for, you likely have access through school/work so, behold:

Y. Ya. Buriko, V. A. Vinigradov, V. F. Goltsev, and P. J. Waltrup, J., Propulsion and Power 16, 1049 (2002)

F.A. Williams, Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 26, 657 (2000).

A. Starikovskiy, AIAA 2012-0828, 50th AIAA Aerospace Sciences Meeting Including the New Horizons Forum
and Aerospace Exposition, 9-12 January 2012, Nashville, TN

I. V. Adamovich, I Choi, N Jiang, J-H Kim, S Keshav, W R Lempert, E Mintusov, M Nishihara, M Samimy and
M Uddi, Plasma Sources Sci. Technol. 18 034018 (2009)

Makes it less costly to rotate the intake compressor as it doesn't interact as much with the air flow in terms of friction or drag losses, just the ones involved in compressing the air. Also, it severely modifies the equations for the intake (they tell me) so that the intake provides a lot more thrust, although that's more what I've heard than what I've worked on.

Oh, and the combustor bits allow you to get more control over the burn, can run it more lean, or in pulse modes, or in conditions when you'd get compressor stall or blow-out. So you can run them at higher altitudes and more Machy speeds.

Also, like I told Zaphod, think helicopter blades. "silent mode" takes on a brand new meaning...

That was actually a big problem, even in the B-2. You get that emission point down in size like a diamond microemitter point source, put it in a divot that's got absorbent, it helps some. Also the plasma bucking around can induce currents in susceptible systems and pop them. Causes a lot of systems integration work for people like me.

There are some methods better than straight DC to fire the point, maybe a bit of a laser would work too - imagine little plasma blooms all over... Anyway, the smaller the point the less the noise. Or so I hear - I'm channeling all the data from the great beyond. OmmmOmmmOmmm

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Nick Cook said in his book The Hunt For Zero Point that electrogravitics made aircraft slip through the air like a bar of soap slips through your hands when wet... Imagine that same principle used in an engine..

Nick got that a bit wrong, they fed him something off. It's plasma systems that he was nearly onto, and that phrase is one you hear used on the project. Also something about wet watermelon seeds.

Or is that disinformation and the electrogravitic charge is what absorbs the radar?

No. Nick no doubt says that's what's in the B-2 as well, and he's just confusing plasma systems with 'electrogravitics' which don't exist. Plasma systems tend to be all shiny at absorbing radar - you can enhance that with some clever engineering. It has to do with plasmon waves coupling to the radar and the airplane's skin and dissipating the EM as heat. OTOH, it makes radar and radio out of the plane a bee-yotch.

They probably have some way of avoiding this problem... maybe that's what HAARP is for.... shoot it at a certain geographic location and you can create noise to allow your stealth craft to go undetected. Something like that... It could have something to do with frequency as well.

No, no, HAARPs for other things altogether.

Ion wind fans and lifters were likely targeted with disinfo to prevent this info from being widely known..

They just don't work. Very inefficient, low thrust, don't work in a vacuum.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

That's an entire career's worth of work, that.

Good perception, it's one of the main issues. That and problems with control surfaces, plasma etching of metal etc.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

How do you know the B-2 was a "one-point system"?

Haven't you seen them up close? There's a line source on the wing leading edge. You only have control of the overall output, you can't manage the local plasma density at all. Not like later systems.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I would watch this thread VERY closely.... if there are disinfo agents on this site THIS is definitely one they would target.

I would suspect anyone that tries to tell you electrogravitics aren't real.

To see that it is a real effect read Paul LaViolett'es book Secrets of Antigravity Propulsion. It will show you why this information is so valuable.

Another way of making people ignore info like this is to have someone post in this thread pretending as if this technology is old hat and all the info is out publicly on it... a secret right in plain sight.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

You got all that from "looking" at it?

Why are you pretending as if all the stuff you are saying is a fact and that is all there is to it?

That is precisely what I would expect from someone trying to suppress this information.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join