It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea says orders artillery to be combat ready, targeting U.S. bases

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Taissa
Anyone catch this?

North Korea said on Tuesday its strategic rocket and long-range artillery units have been ordered to be combat ready, targeting U.S. military bases on Guam, Hawaii and mainland America after U.S. bombers flew sorties threatening the North.
www.nytimes.com...

Why are we provoking them?

Because the US needs a major war really soon to avoid the economic collapse - thats why nk is being pushed, iran is being pushed etc. Its the only way out of the economic mess the us is in...

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by talisman

Threats from North Korea are not unusual, but the repetition of threats right now is a little bit different, but recall he has something to prove to his own, some who might think he is too young to lead.

And they'd be right in thinking that... He's going to end up threatening himself into a coup....

I agree, he has over-played his hand and really left himself no way to back down. If he walks away from any perceived South Korean or US aggression he will look to weak to lead, now we just have to see how far he is willing to go before he realizes his foe will not back down.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

After US bombers flew sorties "threatening" the North.

Read the news lately?

Russian bombers have flown sorties over Us terrorities even nuclear armed, did the us respond we would attack Russia because of it?

Only North korea is that whiny.
edit on 26-3-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I did not read all the post so sorry if I bring nothing to the table but; IMO the NK will not attack the South or do anything that will really piss us and the U.N. off. They have nothing to gain and everything to lose. Now having said that let me add, I could be wrong if the political situation in N.K. is in such a shambles (due to shortages of essentials) that having lost everything already they feel they have nothing to lose if they pull the trigger. Hunger can really motivate someone or just make them think life ain't worth living. More sanctions are coming down the pike so the screws are being turned on their bad boy behavior, so stand by for act ll.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

lil' Kim is not his father though.... There are many factions within NK that would love to see a non-nuclear NK, getting all kinds of international assistance.

The one thing that HAS changed...is that now even China realizes it is out of hand. China wants to keep NK as a buffer, but can't do that if lil' Kim keeps shooting his mouth off. He's gone off the playbook, and escalated too much, too fast...and is rapidly passing the line of no return...no way to back down and save face, and no way to move forward without being ousted.

They have nothing to gain and everything to lose

Thing is, people like Kim don't live in the real world like you or I do. They live in a fantasy land, where only they are important, seeing everything like some big game for their amusement. You can't expect people like this to behave in a sane way... He likely truly believes himself to be some kind of messiah...
edit on 26-3-2013 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
will somebody PLEASE drop a nuke on that little chubster git

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShaithisFerenczy
will somebody PLEASE drop a nuke on that little chubster git

No one does a then everyone does BAD IDEA.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by ShaithisFerenczy

Easy to say...but won't happen. Using a nuke is political suicide. Staging a coup, or getting him to attack, then taking out his place with a big, conventional bomb....well, different story.... Even a pre-emptive strike that kills him would be considered political assassination, and political suicide.

You think SK or China would appreciate us dropping a nuke in NK? No way.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

i suppose, i just hate idiots like him grandstanding- either attack or quit puffing your chest out trying to make yourself look big

will not be at all suprised if he meets with some kind of "accident" this year....

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   
LIL Kim has serious Issues, way more than his sperm donor. First he's not "Old School" where threats were just that and everyone understood that once the key was turned there was no going back. Second,he's trying to live up to the immaginary reputation of his father who was the one making it up. Third, JMO, he believes the "West" doesn't have the heart to WIN a prolonged war. Fourth, He doesn't give a cr@p about his people or world opinion (thats a big one). Fifth, He really believes his OWN press. And finally, he's a spoiled little brat with nukes.
No If I was in charge of the S Korean defense forces I would be dispersing my harware and deploying my men to safe zones. I would not want a "Battleship row" scenerio where I loose the majority of my fighting force in a sneak attack.

Pretend inferiority and encourage his arrogance.
Sun Tzu

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
reply to post by ShaithisFerenczy

Easy to say...but won't happen. Using a nuke is political suicide. Staging a coup, or getting him to attack, then taking out his place with a big, conventional bomb....well, different story.... Even a pre-emptive strike that kills him would be considered political assassination, and political suicide.

It's easier to say what will or wont happen from a safe distance and through an internet connection.

Especially when everyone here cannot possibly know what kind of plans are in place, or what the North is actually capable of doing.

Odds are they will not cross the line and actually draw a US retaliation, and if for some reason they do, there is no way to know if the US response will be a measured one, or the most severe.

That said, welcome to the exclusive club of internet armchair generals and war strategists.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by IknowJack

First he's not "Old School" where threats were just that and everyone understood that once the key was turned there was no going back.

That is the problem...he hasn't ruled long enough to make any real solid predictions on how far he'll go.

Second,he's trying to live up to the immaginary reputation of his father who was the one making it up.

It was a working formula...then he went off script....

Third, JMO, he believes the "West" doesn't have the heart to WIN a prolonged war.

He's right there...but we don't have to. All we have to do is simply negate his ability to make war. As for who steps in the driver's seat...well, as long as they suck up to the right people, all is okie dokie....

Fourth, He doesn't give a cr@p about his people or world opinion (thats a big one).

Have to disagree there...he does want their adoration...but he doesn't care about their needs. He could care less about the world though.

Fifth, He really believes his OWN press.

Yep, but what despot in training didn't?

And finally, he's a spoiled little brat with nukes.

Kind of the crux of the matter....

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Zerschmetterling

from your source:

Our conclusion is as clear as day. We can no longer overlook the menacing reality in which the nation's sovereignty and supreme dignity are being utterly violated

Basically, as they use the term 'supreme dignity' to refer to Kim Jong Un, the Korean Supreme Command is threatening to strike, because Lil Kim feels 'utterly violated'.

Yeah USA - stop 'violating' the Dear Leader (whatever that actually means..?!?!)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

lets just say Un does use nuke on any one of his chosen targets, would we use them in return? lets say he use one, yea it would be more that one, on say Guam, would China let us US nuke NK? for here is the first time he DPRK Un has use or moved to this nwww.koreaherald.com... from the link

“No. 1 combat-ready posture” has never before been mentioned in the North’s media reports. Seoul officials said the posture appeared to mean the highest level of combat readiness, noting that no unusual North Korean military movements were detected yet.

“Compared to the South Korean military, the highest combat readiness means you put live ammo in your equipment and put yourself in full gear, and put soldiers in their positions,” a military source said, declining to be named.
I thought that was for all Military's US included. referring to this"the highest combat readiness means you put live ammo in your equipment and put yourself in full gear, and put soldiers in their positions"
An other thought: Could Un still be thinking if he pushes hard enough will we US make the first strike, keeping China in his favor.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ausername

there is no way to know if the US response will be a measured one, or the most severe.

Sure? No... Relatively sure? I think so. It's a simple matter of weighing pros and cons, and looking at the forces in the region. There are ZERO pros to a nuclear response, even if NK launches a nuclear attack. Whereas, on the contrary, if we responded to nukes using conventional weapons, there'd be no doubt as to who the international "good guys" are....

Could Un still be thinking if he pushes hard enough will we US make the first strike, keeping China in his favor.

We won't. There's no political gain for us to do so. Kim has the rope, he can use it pull himself out of the ditch, or hang himself with it....we're simply there for the view.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:51 PM
link   
The North Korean people are suffering incomprehensible hardships under Kim Jong-Un and the regime in that country.

I'm hoping it's just more rhetoric from North Korea, but the entire leadership is erratic and secretive.

But note how Americans become highly indignant in the face of such threats, whether they hold any weight or not. Although not so overt and blunt the Americans and Israelis have made similar statements towards Iran, threatening military action.

How anyone can justify the use of nuclear weapons against North Korea is beyond me. But time and again we see posters on ATS who gleefully call for destruction and death as if they positively yearn for it. If North Korea did attack South Korea or the U.S. bases there, why should we obliterate an entire country and it's entire population? It's as if there's some innate desire by Americans to slake their blood thirst. I'm quite sure the majority of rational Americans (I'm hoping there are some) would rather restraint be used rather than shouting loudly in their bravado and hubris for nuclear annihilation. The follies of Afghanistan and Iraq (although different circumstances) seem to have been forgotten already.

There would be unprecedented global uproar if the U.S. was to use nuclear weapons. I'm sure that wouldn't sit well with China or Russia or even South Korea. In fact probably the whole of East Asia if not the world. If North Korea was to strike first with nuclear weapons, I still wouldn't countenance their use.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

How anyone can justify the use of nuclear weapons against North Korea is beyond me.

It's our knee-jerk reaction...you punch me...I shoot you...

Luckily, our leadership is fully aware of the need, and our military is fully capable of surgically removing the regime's ability to wage war, with very minimum (note, I said minimum, not zero) civilian fallout. As another poster said, regime change is what is needed, not the targeting of innocent NK citizens.

Militarily, nukes aren't off the table.
Politically, they were never ON the table...but collecting dust in the china cabinet.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Yawn..i'll believe it when i see it,imo there's too much at stake for these two to throw down.
A thumb wrestling or rock,paper scissor match should be organised for all these idiots in power,what a world we live in..

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

I disagree with it, but there is a reason the US would respond with devastating nuclear force. The status quo for the past 60 years has been been if someone uses a nuclear weapon that means total nuclear destruction. There is some point in sticking to the status quo of MAD... I hope and believe that cooler heads would prevail.

I don't see Obama launching a nuclear strike unless a nuke was used against American troops. Within 2 minutes of a nuke being launched against American forces we would respond with 10 times greater force. A nuke exploding in SK that doesn't hit US troops we would use conventional forces to crush little kim. Any nuclear strike against an american target would lead to a nuclear war and we wouldn't ask China's permission. It's a very very scary scenario.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by IndianaJoe

I hope and believe that cooler heads would prevail.

I'd hope so too. But considering events in the past the U.S. has all too quickly reacted with force.

There will be people calling for blood and the pressure from the public and the media would be immense. Imagine the indignant outrage after 9/11 but magnified a thousand times.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join