It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should a deity be recignised in govornment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Our govornments have long recignised gods, but should it continue?

There are millions of cristians, but are there not millions of jews, athiests and budists? is not having a deity recignised just like getting the athiests' god into power?

Or should we go with the majority?

please note: ALL GODS HAVE MERRITS, and do not just say things like "satin, 'cause i'm a devil worshiper", you must give REASONS!

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:19 AM
link   
I think that govement and religion should be seperated. If you want to worship, do it. But
to link religion with controling a country i think is a bad thing.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:57 AM
link   
why not a comprisal of all religions the represent your nations. have the beleifes of each broken into percentage of how many people of each.

awarness has its downside eh sebatian?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Haven't people had enough of the troubles that always present themselves when religion and state 'link'?

The 'founding fathers' knew what they were doing when they wrote article 6. Thomas Jefferson was one of the wisest commentators on this going.

.....and if you're wondering how come you can tell right now why I and many outside observers and commentators think there is genuine danger for US democracy in this - particularly from the evangelical fundamentalist 'Christian' right - one only needs look at the lies or outright stupidity (cos it can only be one or other) they are currently repeating over and over hoping to establish as 'truth'.

They completely ignore the truth of the founding of the American state and lie over and over about how America has been taken from them.

These people are dangerous even if that danger is only based (in the vast - less critical - majority of them) on their ignorance......and as for the educated leadership and the political friends who should know better, well, you tell me?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 06:59 AM
link   
This is a rehash, folks. Let's take this up on one of the numerous preexisting threads on Religion in the Government, huh?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Ah, the heck with it; it's been over a month, go ahead.

This nation was founded on Christianity, a cursory study, involving a little more than just looking for supporting quotes out of context, will clarify this.

Cut to the chase - it is important that we do not allow this concept be dropped. As it stands, it is understood that our rights are given to us by the God of Abraham, is this concept is tossed, that means that the government gave us our rights. As it stands, they, by the words of the Founding Fathers, do not have the authority to take them. Allow them to remove that....you get the picture. I don't care if you're an athiest or a Holy Roller, you have an interest in that.

As far as any ol' religion will do, that isn't so, as different religions, as do different cultures, have different values, ethics and principles. This nation was founded upon a particualr set, and as Ben Franklin said, the only way this experiment in society will survive is with Judeo-Christian ethics, morals and principles.
I'm not going to go into another ten page report on this; I don't have the time to do it once a month. If I had half a brain I'd put it to Word so that I can repost the same thing every month. Then again, if I had half a brain, I'd be wealthy and enjoying the Bahamas instead of waiting for the NyQuill to kick in so I can go to sleep after working all night!

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
This debate is nothing to do with a general considering of whether we are informed or not by Judeo-Christian 'values'.

In all practical senses today it is absolutely about the actual introduction into government and then the state's various laws of evangelical fundamentalist 'Christian law'.

IMO the lunatics are taking over the asylum.

[edit on 2-11-2004 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kayaroyu
Our govornments have long recignised gods, but should it continue?

No, no, no, NO! Church and State should always be seperate, otherwise (as we've seen) faith can end up dictating law...

It's so funny how people are quick to demonize an Islamic state, but are also in favor of basically making the US a Christian state. We'd end up no better...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by negativenihil
It's so funny how people are quick to demonize an Islamic state, but are also in favor of basically making the US a Christian state. We'd end up no better...

- Naaa mate; what is really really funny is when it comes down to it how evangelical fundamentalist 'Christians' see so little wrong with Islamic fundamentalist states.....they love them really.

They just think they got the wrong religion.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Great posts, Pinkey, very mature and informative...

Negative, you need to understand a couple things. This country started out a religious nation, the wall was between the government and the citizenry, not the citizenry and the government. Christianity was the faith upon which the nation was founded, but at the same time, there was to be no specific sect (The evil white white dead men's term for denomination) picked to be the official national religion. This was never meant to be the case with the several states, they had the right to choose a sect (and I like that word as there are less letters in it than there are denomination!) and many states began because of that. Still, there has never been a time when we were a theocracy, and there never will be. The scary scenarios painted by the fuitloops that have no desire to see their 50 years destruction of the American culture be reversed is impossible if you stop and think about it reationally.

new topics

top topics

join