It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bathaspere Fish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Does anyone know of any websites with any info about the Bathasphere Fish that William Beebe saw when he went down in the famous Bathasphere.

picture link-img.photobucket.com...

[edit on 3-11-2004 by liquidskin]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 05:49 AM
link   
This link might help:
Linky
Have a nice day

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I've never heard of Beebe or his explorations before but after reading TheDarkFlames link, I think I will look further into his adventures. He sounds like the Neil Armstrong of oceanographic study. Thanks for informing me about this seemingly oceanographic pioneer

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Thanka for the link intresting read...to bad its the only website about i've been able to find.....but didn't see much about Bathasphere Fish on there.

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Nice ball!!!But it's imposible to plunge to such depth.So....

posted on Nov, 5 2004 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I think not! Its is possible! It has been done. There have been shows about deep sea dving ect on the Discovery Channel.

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Bump......Bump.......Bump....Bump

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:34 PM
link   
what is that book called that you got the picture of the bathasphere fish from?

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 11:04 PM
link   
the book is called Saving Wildlife link

page 120.

posted on Nov, 15 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   
bump....bump.....bumpy.....bump.....

posted on Dec, 9 2004 @ 10:15 PM
link   
bump.....bumpedy.....bump...bump

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hidden
Nice ball!!!But it's imposible to plunge to such depth.So....

sorry hidden, your wrong.....

www.guinnessworldrecords.com...

posted on Dec, 10 2004 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Umm I don't ever rember stateing on here that....that was the deppest ever dove. Im just saying that its really F**king deep!

posted on Dec, 13 2004 @ 02:25 PM
link   
This is the best I can do.

Beebe himself identified many new life forms. On one dive, he observed a large fish at 1,500 feet that he had never seen before. It was at least two feet long, without lights or luminosity, and had a small eye, a large mouth, and a long, wide, filamentous pectoral fin. He called it the pallid sailfin, with the scientific name Bathyembryx istiophasma, which is Greek for a fish that comes from the abyss and swims with ghostly sails.

Link www.pupress.princeton.edu...

And

The strange fish was at least two feet in length, wholly without lights orluminosity, with a small eye and goodsized mouth. Later, when it shifted alittle backwards I saw a long, rather wide, but evidently filamentous pectoralfin. The two most unusual things were first, the color, which, in the light, wasan unpleasant pale, olive drab, the hue of water-soaked flesh, an unhealthybuff. It was a color worthy of these black depths, like the sickly sprouts ofplants in a cellar. Another strange thing was its almost tailless condition, thecaudal fin being reduced to a tiny knob or button, while the vertical fins,taking its place, rose high above and stretched far beneath the body, these finsalso being colorless. I missed its pelvic fins and its teeth, if it had any, whilesuch things as nostrils and ray counts were, of course, out of the question.There is a small family of deep-sea fish known as Cetomimid�, andsomewhere in or close to this the strange apparition belongs. Only threespecies are known, and only twenty-four individuals have so far been captured,sixteen of which have been in our own deep nets drawn through these verywaters. I have called the fish we saw the Pallid Sailfin, and am naming itBathyembryx istiophasma, which is a Grecian way of saying that it comes fromdeep in the abyss and swims with ghostly sails.

[\quote]

Link www.google.co.uk...:doAJNk7Gn7MJ:208.182.173.11/teachers/ballard/primarysources/docs/164.pdf+pallid+sailfin+%22pallid+sailfin%22&hl =en

All so he published a book in 1934 titled Half Mile Down

I hope this helps

[edit on 13-12-2004 by switchblade]

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by liquidskin
Umm I don't ever rember stateing on here that....that was the deppest ever dove. Im just saying that its really F**king deep!

Sorry Liquidskin, misunderstanding, i was just pointing out to Hidden that it IS possible to go to that depth and more.

posted on Dec, 14 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
A bump now and then is fine, but don't go overboard....
A bump that adds info or further discussion, is also much more welcome...

top topics

join