It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CHOCKY - 1980s british kids tv show - SCARY

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
maan, that is a good show!

so how does it end? whos chocky, an alien
i thought it was a paranormal film.. but id say this is sci fi

and to the post above

weve all liked a willy wonka at one point
nearly went blined "watching" it too much lolol

edit on 25-3-2013 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

Goin blind doing something too much implies something different to the rest of us, I think.

Because if you were doing "that" while watching gene wilder in a costume, surrounded by little people in makeup, then.. I simply have no face when.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Loved this series as a kid ... showing my age now

Quite dark as I recall, but well written.
There were 3 series made:
Chocky
Matthew Gore is an intelligent boy chosen by a mysterious extraterrestrial visitor to be a source of information about life on Earth. As his schoolwork and artistic talent improve dramatically he arouses the suspicion of powerful groups who wish to tap into the amazing fund of knowledge to which he is now party.

Chocky' Children
A year has passed since Matthew said goodbye to his alien friend, and in the summer holidays he meets Albertine, a mathematical prodigy, with whom he discovers he can communicate telepathically. One day Chocky returns to warn him that they are both in danger. When he returns to tell Albertine, he finds she has disappeared.

Chocky' Challenge
Chocky, an invisible being from another world, has come into Matthew's life. His powerful knowledge has aroused a great deal of interest from the military, and they are willing to take drastic action if they don't get what they want.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaifan
Lol i was about to say the same, got some words here and there, but missed most of whatever they said..

God am i stupid?

edit on 26-3-2013 by Kaifan because: (no reason given)

It has to be a US thing. I didn't have a problem with it at all. Not from UK either.

And I've seen American programs where they've actually dubbed subtitles onto ENGLISH speaking people. Australians for crikeys sake.

It's not like you guys speak martian english, or ye olde english, or even a variant of it that somehow developed completely distinct from the rest of the world.

I did see a documentary many eyars ago on the variations of the language in English speaking countries, and the US did have a very wide variation of accents and phrases and word use, but you dang aint no time evers hearing nothing yall aint not understand is it.

Now if you want an indecipherable variant of English, check cloud atlas, tom hanks even had subtitles on what I watched it on, but they were wrong.

I dunno why this show, on topic, would scare the op. It reminds me in production value of the Tomorrow People. And that had hitler in it whose face melted off to reveal the evil alien imposter underneath, and that scared all the hypnotised hippies who'd gone awry and become thugs, back into their flares.

It is refreshing - ironic as it is - to see something I've not seen before though, that is not ridiculously stupid with talking dogs, or secret attics with alien computers and save the world themes but is still aimed at kids.

Kids back when I was a kid, were kids. what we have now are mini adults... who seem to never really grow up.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Plumbduff

We actually had this series in Sweden..
Sorry to say, i was probly the only one
in my neighbourhood that wathced it...
And it really did lure me in...

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
No mention of Tripods yet... just had to throw that in there as the most freaked out bit of BBC kid/teen programing ever made..

They dig that back up every so often.. well they used to.. at about 3am-5am.. that was back before infomercials became the new filler and older programs like Tripods and the tomorrow people were sold to cable.. or burnt.. hard to say.

Apart from old witchy poo.. (yes.. ye not alone..) Tripods used to freak me out regularly.

I'll have to check ye vid and see this chocky stuff

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

My stereotypical Brits are meant to be humorous based on the British comedy I have seen over the years.I love the BBC shows and watch them here in the USA with what approaches religious fervor. No insults intended. Gotta respect the minds who gave us the likes of Dr Who and Blakes 7.

About my cousin.. Have you seen her? Man she's really Hot. At least she's fully Human to that I can attest.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I loved the bravery of the bbc in the 70s and 80s,

Day of the triffids, chocky and the tripods freaked me out.

Not half as much as raven though!

www.tv-ark.org.uk...

edit on 26-3-2013 by selfharmonise because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Being 47 this was after my time, as it were, so I never saw it.

Was it any worse than Dr Who?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix
reply to post by skalla

My stereotypical Brits are meant to be humorous based on the British comedy I have seen over the years.I love the BBC shows and watch them here in the USA with what approaches religious fervor. No insults intended. Gotta respect the minds who gave us the likes of Dr Who and Blakes 7.

About my cousin.. Have you seen her? Man she's really Hot. At least she's fully Human to that I can attest.

i have not

i was over sarky, apologies - i just got a blackberry to replace my previous prehistoric mobile, therefor i can wake in mid hangover and get ats'ing before passing out again

ETA: does NO-ONE remember the "Ludwig" show i mentioned????? i'm gonna get driven to an early grave with this one

edit on 26-3-2013 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

I remember Ludwig well.

I loved it.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   
This is fascinating. Thanks for the share! I'm still watching.....

Reminds me of what I've seen of the "Alien Invasion" series on Science.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Well this thread is certainly bringing back some childhood nightmares for me.

No one mentioned "The boy from space" yet.

This was a program that was supposed to teach kids to read
Stopped me from sleeping till I was in my 20's

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Chocky was based on the books by John Wyndham I think. It also freaked me out together with day of the triffids and tripods.
I recently rewatched Tripods and it really only had one 'scary' moment (plenty of crap acting!) but one I remembered all theses years

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Thanks for reminding me of something I thought was truly banished from the depths of me memory!

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
How prophetic- he was trying to warn us not to buy French cars! As a breakdown mechanic I see more French cars than all the other nations combined.The brits on here will know who drives an orange van- the USA has nothing like it...

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by selfharmonise
reply to post by skalla

I remember Ludwig well.

I loved it.

awesome! i knew it was real

many thanks

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Gooseygander

Oh my goodness I remember that. It was a little bit like Escape From Witch Mountain. I was just realizing that I was psychic when those shows were on so they were so fascinating to me I loved them, Thanks for reminding me of it, I think i will have to watch them all.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by skalla

Hi skalla

Found loads of it on youtube"

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I'd forgotten all about Chocky. I'll have to watch the Youtube episode's and indulge in a bit of nostalgia.

I didn't find the linked clip in the least bit scary. Maybe the others might have more effect.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

My sister and I were only talking about this last week. She had this blue alien boy in her mind and couldnt work out where it had come from - it was this tv show. I think we saw these at school when we were 8-11. There was also Dark Towers which was scary too and the film Watcher in the Woods (we didnt see that at school) which was quite freaky.

We were also discussing the Childrens Film Foundation Films/Friday Film which were quite strange. There were a lot of Austrailian stuff on childrens tv - Girl from Tomorrow and one featuring the daisy wheel - can't recall the name. There were other classics such as Automan and Manimal.

I loved all of the Chocky episodes and recently got the ebook (the first series). Also Tripods as well, but dont remember those so well. There was also the Demon Headmaster, and yes I remember the Witch Mountain film too. I think there were several films? I saw the newer one recently and glad they kept the escape vehicle the same
- classic!

I know what I'm going to be doing when the kids have gone to bed!
edit on 7/4/2013 by YarlanZey because: (no reason given)

edit on 7/4/2013 by YarlanZey because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join