It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage as Department of Education Quotes Notorious Chinese Leader Mao Zedong on its Website

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   

The Department of Education has come under fire for showcasing an 'inspirational quote' from the Chinese dictator Mao Zedong on its site 'Kids Zone' which is produced by it's auxiliary organization the National Center for Education Statistics. 'Our attitude towards ourselves should be ‘to be satiable in learning’ and towards others ‘to be tireless in teaching.''

This is crazy, the U.S. Dept of Education using a quotation from a mass murderer on its website...

Here's what it looked like at first:

The “Kids' Zone” of the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES) website, part of the Department of Education's Institute of Education Sciences, quotes communist leader Mao Zedong. The NCES is the“primary federal entity for collecting and analyzing data related to education in the U.S. and other nations.” Update: The quote has been removed and the Department of Education has issued a statement.

They replaced it with this:

"Sorry there is no quote of the of the today"

These morons can't even put a complete sentence together.

A little background on Mao, you know, for the kids-

In contrast, critics have labeled him a dictator whose administration oversaw systematic human rights abuses, and whose rule is estimated to have caused the deaths of 40–70 million people mainly through starvation, forced labor and executions, placing his rule at the top of the list of most people killed by democide in human history

en.wikipedia.org...

This website (and program) are paid for by your tax dollars, by the way....

Another reason to home school?

What exactly is the message they are conveying to our children?

Thoughts?

www.dailymail.co.uk...

www.buzzfeed.com...
edit on 25-3-2013 by Signals because: (no reason given)

+3 more 
posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
...is it still wrong if the words he's saying are right?

I mean look at what Mao is saying there objectively for a second.
Now imagine if Lincoln said it, feel better?

Obviously it's wrong to put a Mao quote on a kids site i'm just saying that what is being thought isn't necessarily that bad.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Thanks but I think you are missing the forest for the trees...

edit: actually I may have to take my own advice there
good post.

Now, what part of Mass-Murdering Communist Scum quotes used to teach our kids are we missing here?
edit on 25-3-2013 by Signals because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Unfortanetly, they're probably selling Che Guevera t-shirts on the back page, also.

The us dept of edumacation has been deliberately instilling communist theories into our hapless children for decades.

Just getting them ready for enslavement under the new world order.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Reply to post by Signals

This is an interesting problem. On the whole, China is gaining momentum and posed to overtake the US as the largest economy. China has more college graduates and English speaker than the US to boot.

On an individual basis, the average Chinese has a standard of living well below the West.

The Department of Energy is just another government bureaucracy that looks at education as a whole, so on some levels it makes sense they would want to copy the fastest runner in the race.

I do feel this is misguided, however. They should probably examine what enables educational success (parental involvement has a strong correlation) and go after that than just trying to channel China.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:11 PM
link   
They fool the kids into thinking like communists e.g uniforms then they exploit them when they leave school, they get them young in the u.k as well. We cant have all the population behaving like rampant capitalists now can we. Who is going to do all the work?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

My thoughts on this are a bit ambivalent. On the one hand there's nothing wrong, per se, with the quote they used. Even evil dictators can get off a good zinger sometimes. On the other hand ... hmmm. I see nothing wrong here.

On yet the other hand (did I mention I'm from Orion and have multiple hands?): I recommend that every American family who can should self-educate. Kids should definitely know who Mao is; they should know what he did; they should have a solid understanding of his place in the world and in history.

Education is education; we should be pleased to see our young ones' minds expanded: They should be able to quote Mao, and Pancho Villa, and Bette Midler, and anyone else who had something useful to say. The fact that you know who someone is and can quote them doesn't necessarily make you a follower....

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Well if mao killed more than hitler then its wrong.
Where did the chinese get all their money from? Western investments? I dont know

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

edit on 25-3-2013 by Openeye because: Because I'm dumb

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Reply to post by Openeye

Horse pucky! I know a lot of older Chinese who fled China during the Great Leap Forward and Cultural Revolution. If you can find one I recommend talking to them about it. China became a horror movie.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

edit on 25-3-2013 by Openeye because: Because I'm dumb

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Openeye

Strange using an education quote from mao, who killed the educated chinese first - like any good dictator would.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   
Reply to post by Openeye

Here you go.

lmgtfy.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Clever little link there will have to use that in the future myself.

Well I stand corrected.

From what I read so far there is more than enough evidence to support that Mao committed genocide. I was unaware of the mass executions during the "Cultural Revolution".

I have removed my original comments and now stand as an example of someone who now looks like an idiot for doing no real research.

I will now go flog myself in shame.
edit on 25-3-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Openeye

Clever little link there will have to use that in the future myself.

Well I stand corrected.

From what I read so far there is more than enough evidence to support that Mao committed genocide. I was unaware of the mass executions during the "Cultural Revolution".

I have removed my original comments and now stand as an example of someone who now looks like an idiot for doing no real research.

I will now go flog myself in shame.
edit on 25-3-2013 by Openeye because: (no reason given)
you should pat yourself on the back for your integrity. And i agree about that link,that was my favourite link ever.
Now i really find he op post a bit sinister.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
Reply to post by Openeye

Wait until you get to the part about cannablism in Guangxi. It was not to because they were hungry but to prove their loyalty.

Hearing some stories of people who lived through it (the one that sticks out in my mind is watching his grandfather be beaten and burned -and lived!) makes it all more horrifying. The whole thing came up when he asked me about voting and I told him I didn't. His tales made me all the more appreciative of freedom like the right to own firearms (he actually got into an argument with a liberal over this). So now when I am talking to a older Chinese person I take the opportunity to ask. The get a disgusted look in their eyes as they remember.

It goes a long way towards explaining my fang bearing towards liberalism and installed in me the need to learn more about what communism really is.

As such, I am now a firm believer that communism, in all its forms, must be exposed and rooted out.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

A good, but hard to watch at times, movie to see about what happened in vietnam after the us left is "The Killing Fields" - before someone puts up a thread about how great ho chi minh was.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
Reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Damn my cell and its need to be helpful. Education = Energy. Right now its adding words and letters as I type this.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Yes well, we don't want our children learning educational and inspirational quotes from dictators and mass murders. Period.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
To be honest, it does not matter who he was.

The point behind the words matters, not the person who said it.

Many most hated men in history have been true geniuses and excellent speakers. We may argue on the matter, but you can not get to the top without any mind and afterall, there is a slim line between a genius and a lunatic.

Most of their quotes are cruel, although some of them are simply brilliant and nothing evil, like the Mao
Zedong quote.

Lenin, who also was a mass murderer, once said : "Learn, learn, learn"

Is it bad to show kids such quote, simply because it was said by someone so terrible, even though it is a nice quote?
edit on 25-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join