It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's your choice for Eotw?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Gonna have to stand by my list on the previous page. When I first started with a BOB, it was a huge full metal frame hiking pack, filled with all kinds of nonsense. Over the course of a year, I revamped it many times before getting it down to what I consider as having all of the basic things I'd need for a 4 day trip on foot, while still fitting in a normal sized backpack, allowing for good mobility, and not a lot of back strain. Also, it fits under my back seat in my truck, so it's out of the way.

About the only change I'd want to make would be going from a revolver in the bag, to an automatic pistol, but since I already had the revolver, it didn't cost me anything. I don't really plan on getting in any firefights on the way home though, I plan on staying away from folks, and likely moving more at night than the daytime. (too frickin' hot in the day)...until I get home.

If you didn't catch it earlier, the short-range radio in my kit is for turning on at pre-set intervals in the case of some kind of event, where my wife knows I'm trekking home on foot. That way, she'll know when I'm close.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Reply to post by azureskys

The question is; Its the end of the world, you managed to survive for time being, would you not take this chance to make the best of it even it be for say a day or two, If so, what gear you like to have with you?... Or you shall just give in fate and do nothing?

Its hard to keep tabs on all thread you posted in mobile version and also my posts does have words missing, hope you guys bear with it.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

edit on 26-3-2013 by Trackhunter because: Words missin again, must post slowly.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Depending upon the event, my list could change dramatically...

If the event allows me to stay in place, I won't need anything other than something to make sure my water supply is safe, which is actually, if you know what to do, fairly easily accomplished.

I know how to trap. I know how to fish, and hunt. I also know how to stay out of the way. Or, should events warrant, get out Dodge.

In that event? I should think travelling light would be best.

Backpack, or my bicycle with packs attached...one can pack a hell of a lot onto a bicycle. ...and no recourse to what will be crowded, and/or watched roads necessary.

What to pack?

Sleeping bag.
Rain cover/tarp.
Knife, or three.
Fishing line/para-cord.
Multitool.
(optional) firearms--my rifle and shotgun, with my handgun. As I said, optional. Depending upon circumstances, it might actually be safer to travel without those. I can make a bow, or throwing sticks, or other weapon, at a later date when I'm somewhere safe.
(optional) If the firearms go, so too does the reloading equipment. Not all that heavy, especially if I'm packing my bicycle.
Water purification/filter, or just a pan with a lid for purposes of desalinization. I'm thinking a small pressure cooker or something like it would be nearly ideal, if a little bulky...
Radio.
Lots and lots of batteries for said radio.
Flashlights (plural), I break the darned things by looking at 'em wrong.
Assorted clothing...for as many conditions as seem applicable. How long is your bug out going to last? Might be good idea to learn how to make your own clothing? Weaving? Tanning? Even cobbling? I actually know how to make shoes...they aren't pretty, but beats walking barefoot after the hiking boots give out...

Most of all, you need to bring your brain along, and practice ahead of time how to use it, in an emergency.

Are you actually safer bugging out? Or is it better to hunker down and ride whatever it is out? Or if you've bugged out, you'll need to decide when to come back... That's when you'll really need the brain you were gifted with. With out the brain? All the fancy staff in the world won't do you a bit of good.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I'd just like to add that in an EOTW scenario, I honestly wouldn't like to be among the survivors. Why? Because it would be awful to witness human beings behaving like animals because of food, water, gear and even women. I wouldn't hurt another human being for the sake of my own survival or even survival of my loved ones, so I might as well take an early exit from the game. Not that I'd kill myself if I survived, I'd just prefer to be spared of seeing humanity sinking to its lowest.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Why do we need to be prepared for the end of the world?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Have a Flint, Water purifier tabs and other basic survival items, shovel, vodka, honey, mess kit etc....

I like the thought of being prepared just pretty slow at it I guess, need more but I hate wasting money on a "what if". The power goes out where I live way too often and Sandy knocked it out for 12 days, no gas, no water etc... so we now have basic stuff for loss of power and emergency but not a full blown basement full of supplies.

Was thinking of getting a dehydrator and all that good stuff that goes with it, at least we can make jerky and banana chips and slowly stock up or have yummy snacks for a camping trip either way it's win win.
edit on 26-3-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

See my previous answer...

All you can do then is have drug and alcohol fueled orgies while eating great food....

Will still need things to do this....

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Now that is the right way to prep

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Grrr...I had a great post and it freaking vanished!....gonna try to re-write in word and paste.

Let us be honest here...self defense is the primary goal...I will follow up things with practical and day to day items that a return to the dark ages will require....

I am so angry! I spent almost an hour on that post and good ole...something or other kicked and lost it....

be back with a less than sparkling recovery.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Ok...here is a summary of a rather well written earlier post I lost (ok, I am being silly)....

Ok….skipping to the nuts and bolts….self defense is the main concern.

There will come a time that gunpowder and “bullets” are not easy to find. Yes there are recipes for black powder but none of the ingredients are so easy to find….if you can find and secure them…you will prob win…but otherwise…listen up…

Cold Steel website is an awesome source for competition/battle grade weaponry. From long swords to axes…they have it and is made to very tough and strict codes of standards…and you pay for that…a lot.

My favs…

The Italian style long sword and matching dagger…awesomeness
www.coldsteel.com...
www.coldsteel.com...
at almost $800.00 for the pair…they strike me as being the best of the overall.

Crushing power…sometimes speed can still be overcome by crushing power…these two are awesome…
The Greatsword - www.coldsteel.com...
The Chinese War sword
www.coldsteel.com...

Neither of these are for the common zombie fighter…(kidding)

The Scottish Dirk….better know what it is best at, but nonetheless…an awesome piece of craftsmanship….
www.coldsteel.com...

other items I am tickled with not shown here…

The Lucern Hammer/BecDeCorbin - awesome piece of battle engineering….look them up, they were very well thought out…not an accident but a true design with purpose. At 6’-0 to 8’-0 long…they are a better than clever alternative to a plain spear.

A simple 12' Bowie Knife

A seriously awesome blade made famous in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom...the Khyber Bowie at 24"

Archery…

Yes Compounds mark the day but there will come a time when no one has the tools or means to service them…get a recurve or an English long bow. Both have issues with long term strength but the Long Bow is by far the easiest to reproduce and make from scratch….many articles online for how to do so…get them, print them and keep them…you grandchildren might sing song of your greatness if you do…

Grrr...all the long bow images are not really that great....put it this way, the long bow was at one time the most lethal weapon on the planet....it's lethality has not stopped, it has only been superseded...

Close up alternatives…

Hard to beat a simple steel shafted hammer….the Estwing 28 ounce framing hammer should be classified as a deadly weapon…the straight sweeping claws…the 16” length…it is a might weapon for about 35-40 bucks…

Beyond self defense, get awake….save your seeds from everything…tomatoes, cucumbers, hot peppers….save garlic cloves….all of which is easy to grow more from…get them…keep them.

here are some ranged alternatives to think about...

The atlatl easily made and history shows multiple thousands of years of effectiveness....make it!

A blowgun...easy-easy to make...darts too....tip your darts in human dung and you have now created a horribe weapon....

Anyway....defense is mostly what you do with what you have....an xacto knife in the right hands is a lethal weapon....never forget that.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Trackhunter

If a person was to have a list of items, if they tell you anything that they are actually going to have, it would be a violation of the first and biggest rule...OPSEC...with that being said...
I would make due with what I can for as long as I can...your mind is the best tool in the box, cave men used it for surviving...it was used for building machines to travel through space, and get us to where we are, so yeah I am taking my mind...
Get whatever you need or think you need for you..and your abilities, and don't worry about the next person...they might be smarter or dumber than you and your skills and abilities are probably at very different levels...I know it sounds like a smartazz answer...but it is true...you should use your head for something other that a hat rack...it might be the only tool/item you have.
Besides what happens if you can't have or get to the items you would want to have with you??? food for thought

edit on 26-3-2013 by saltdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
As some of posters have mentioned, its up to the scenario and most useful tool is your brain. Here's my choice of gears for most Eotw scenario. A condor Tomahawk for breaking in doors / windows of building or car to escape / hide, also can be use for tactical and bushcraft. Zippo lighter for fire / light, fast and simple. Leatherman Multi-tool for any fix. All band scanner, Rope, flash-light, compass. Light but strong back pack with atleast couple of days Mre's, water packs, won't waste time looking for food water. First-aid kit and 10mm Glock.

If situation has given a chance to survive for few mins/hours/days longer i'm gonna take it and make the best out of it. With available food, water and first-aid in backpack, it give me time to plan and escape or delay danger. By taking a shelter or flying a plane will help then gonna try doing it and survive as long as possible.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Reply to post by Jeremiah65

Cold steel do make some really unique but reliable swords, thanks for sharing. But i would like to take the simple 12in bowie and long bow anyday, can't help it, Bowies are my favorite knives. What about about tomahawks or belt axe?

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trackhunter
As some of posters have mentioned, its up to the scenario and most useful tool is your brain. Here's my choice of gears for most Eotw scenario. A condor Tomahawk for breaking in doors / windows of building or car to escape / hide, also can be use for tactical and bushcraft. Zippo lighter for fire / light, fast and simple. Leatherman Multi-tool for any fix. All band scanner, Rope, flash-light, compass. Light but strong back pack with atleast couple of days Mre's, water packs, won't waste time looking for food water. First-aid kit and 10mm Glock.

If situation has given a chance to survive for few mins/hours/days longer i'm gonna take it and make the best out of it. With available food, water and first-aid in backpack, it give me time to plan and escape or delay danger. By taking a shelter or flying a plane will help then gonna try doing it and survive as long as possible.

OK I see your talking about getting in a house, cabin, or car..plane..whatever..
The way I see it with that...is your destroying my property, if your caught breaking into a vehicle, or home..trying to take something that is not yours ..well during a SHTF, you wanna be extra careful....because no rules or laws work both ways and it could be a trap for you...and even if its not a trap...what happens if your caught by the owner in the process? Even if your not stealing and your on my land, your going to have a big problem...thats a fact for many people that are not willing to buy there own things and prep for themselves, you think ok its a SHTF its fair game on anything I see...REALLY???
It is like people that think they are going to hunt to survive for there wilderness survival..yeah ever been out on opening day of deer season? Multiply the hunters that are out there by 10,000....everyone without a plan, or preps, is going to be trying to hunt animals...and many have no clue about anything with skinning, butchering, preserving the meat, tanning the hides or anything at all about really what they should be doing to survive.
So now you have thousands of dead animals that spoil 3/4 or more of the meat, because people are not smart enough to learn skills now.
My advise to you is to read more, gain skills through doing, and get a better plan for when you need it.
Just because the area/world is crumbling around you...it does not mean you should lose your morals!!!!!!!
It will be the people with morals that don't become savages, that will be the ones standing in the end.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join