It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teaching Kids Chess - one approach to solving the world's problems

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Trackhunter

Any particular reason you decided to post that you already knew this? How does this help discuss the OP's premise?
I didn't know about this. Us are awake, we're still learning.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by CommanderCraCra

Now you show them how to bring an inherently antisocial game (chess is brutal whichever way you look at it), into the socially accepted arena. They may form their first bond with their teacher. They may learn that there is some sort of objective rule set which can be used to best maneuver in the world. If not for the sake of morality, then for the sake of survival without the chance of being locked up.

Really, there's far too many possibilities to give standard answers to complex situations

Wow. Okay.
So you think it is a mistake to teach kids how to play Chess. Correct?

I think it would likely be best to not think much about chess, and deal more about if they are being abused, are hungry, or need someone to confide in.

Well, of course it would!
I suppose I was thinking that these particular children are not being abused, are not hungry, and are nurtured correctly.
I do get your point, though.

Do you, then, think that Armenia is wanting to conquer the world with their little chess-masters?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
People touting chess as a marvelous way to develop thinking or social skills makes me laugh harder than people who promote video games as a wonderful way to develop eye/hand coordination.

Yes. I play chess everyday. I've played tourneys and masters, and I've never taken any critical
thinking skill AWAY FROM the game. I BRING my critical thinking TO the game. It's fun, I love it, it's a
mano-e-mano strategic slugfest...but as a teaching tool?? No.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift
People touting chess as a marvelous way to develop thinking or social skills makes me laugh harder than people who promote video games as a wonderful way to develop eye/hand coordination.

Let me refute your claim.

First, I am 48, and have been playing video games since 1978 at the wee age of 13 when I got my first Atari Pinball console. At age 7 I learned to play chess.

I would consider myself a scientist, as I have several degrees in the sciences, including a doctorate in Pharmacy.

When my son was 3, I put him in front of a playstation, and subsequently, every console after that. I also taught him chess at the age of 6. He beat me for the first time when he was 10, and he went on to a championship at his school chess club where he participated for several years.

Video Games do in fact improve hand eye coordination, as well as strategy, survival, and even shooting skills. The first time I taught my son how to load and shoot a .223 bushmaster, he knew exactly how to hold it, how to handle it, and how to use it -- all from having done it thousands of times over his decade long experience of video games.

Video games also expand rational and logical thinking.

Or, are you the type that would rather his kids sit down in front of the Disney channel and be brainwashed while learning no skills what so ever. Yeah, waving a magic wand may be important to you, but in the real world, it is worthless.

Nothing personal..

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

Thanks for your contribution. I can't understand how people dismiss "play" as a crucial means of helping kids develop.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Happy1
reply to post by wildtimes

I agree, chess is a great learning tool - I, also, was going to add RISK to the thread.

I'd like to add that chess is very popular in prison - the convicts love it, and spend hours perfecting their thinking.
Anyone who works in a prison, knows this.

The best chess players in my elementary school conspired against me and let me win the school chess tournament one year.

The following year my church youth group visited a home for the retarded as an outreach to give them some company near Christmas.
I remember there was one resident sitting silently next to a chess board looking kind of unhappy so I sat down and played a game with him.
He let me win and then excitedly said "play chess play chess" which appeared to be the limit of his vocabulary.
The second game he played at a much more advanced level, he was seeing board positions 4 or 5 moves ahead.
Despite his letting me play white and me using a complex slow play opening he beat me. Mission accomplished, but I think he would have been happier in his "prison" if it wasn't populated with a predominantly "now neighbor" demographic.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Cauliflower

but I think he would have been happier in his "prison" if it wasn't populated with a predominantly "now neighbor" demographic.

I don't know what you mean. What's a "now neighbor" demographic?

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

This man was sheltered in a home for challenged individuals that could not function outside the institution. He was most comfortable meeting people over a game of chess and sat there with a board set up inviting anyone to play. I'm projecting the term "now neighbor" to describe someone entering his world that would be in conflict with his world view.

To sit down and play chess with this fellow by his rules you were initially expected to making 1 of 20 moves any of which might appear to have the same effect "now". From his perspective there would be stronger and weaker openings. I'm not sure his fellow patients respected his rules, certainly knocking the pieces off his board and trying to steal his canteen money would not be considered a strong opening move by him. He didn't even respect that as a mid game tactic and promptly kicked my butt to let me know!

Years later when the movie Rainman came out it brought that Christmas experience back to me and I saw Raymond in a whole different light. Sometimes when the cold winter wind blows I can still feel his ghost.

edit on 28-3-2013 by Cauliflower because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join