It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK migration crackdown: ‘No social housing for newcomers’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

Sorry, I have just realised you said the 2nd bedroom is being used for your medical gear.. But the general point remains the same for others complaining..

The Government has, apparently, set aside a large fund so people in your situation shouldn't actually be penalised. If you are, you should take it your local authority as it sounds like you'd qualify for relief from this benefit reduction.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I tend not to be offended by such things, so don't worry.

We cannot rent out our spare room as it is where my wife's hoist, wheelchair and other medical equipment she requires lives when not in use. Also as stated in my last response, we need to have a bed available for a Carer to use when my wife's health is really bad and I need an extra set of hands to meet my wife's medical and personal needs overnight.

I used to work (even though I have been battling serious mental health issues for 23 years) and I spent the 2 decades prior to my becoming unfit for work in the 40% Tax bracket, however nowadays I cannot hold down a full or part time job, partly because my wife needs 24hour assistance and care and partly because the stress of caring for my wife has pretty much pushed my mental health issues over the edge, so to speak and for the first time in my life I find myself unable to go out in to the world and earn a living. I won't go in to the details of what has happened to put me in the situation I'm in medically, because I find that it usually comes out as a "woe is me" speech and I do not feel that way about my health at all. I just feel blessed that I managed to have 23 good years working in a job I excelled in.

I can't remember what else was in your post, but I hope this clears things up for you.

Rev

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Originally posted by pikestaff
What I find strange is the rumor I was told by a Brit friend of mine about social housing tenants will shortly have to pay $35.00 tax a month on empty bedrooms?

I am losing the plot with this one...

IT'S NOT A TAX!!!!!!!!!! IT IS REDUCTION IN HOUSING BENEFIT FOR THOSE IN RECEIPT OF TAXPAYER MONEY TO PAY THEIR RENT WHO HAVE AN EXTRA BEDROOM!

WHY SHOULD THE TAXPAYER FUND PEOPLE TO HAVE HOUSES BIGGER THAN THEY NEED WHEN THOSE WHO DO PAY FOR THEIR HOUSING HAVE TROUBLE AFFORDING IT?

edit on 25/3/13 by stumason because: (no reason given)

If people are being FORCED to pay it, then it is a tax on poor people!
edit on 25-3-2013 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

As far as the discretionary fund goes. We've been informed by Cornwall council that they will only offer help in the short-term and it will be on a first come first served basis. Also, if you get turned down you cannot appeal. It's a bit poo to be honest, but like I said, we can afford to pay for it because we receive DLA, but it sucks for people who only get ESA or JSA.

The thing that annoys me the most, is the fact that the elderly are not going to be effected by this. Not cool IMHO.

Rev

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Its too late now britain is now a mono culture of multiculturism,just like the rest of the world is being lined up to be.
Its the only way you can get people to be divided while the rich purebreeds conquer the world.
All these people complaining are racists. These immigrants love the british people and just want to help us best they can. Ethinic minorities claim more in benefits than others because we british are racists. Its nothing to do with immigrants being lazy.
I just feel sorry for the indiginous big issue sellers,prostitutes,beggers,labourers,children,hospitals,construction workers....etc etc they have all become less well off. We are modelled on the great u.s.a now. Then they may fight for us against their own country, way to go, alright,usa usa
We should raise taxes to pay for more immigrants, they are better than british people. Less crime,less drugs,less trafficking.
We should rip down all borders so yhe deserving can travel to places and make places like britain a better place.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:05 AM
link   

reply to post by revmoofoo

I hope you take this in the way it is intended

Could you not rent out the extra room? The reduction in benefits could be easily countered by renting out to a lodger who would also make up any shortfall in other benefits/income...

This is something that has baffled me over this whole "bedroom tax".. The people concerned are losing £14 a week, is it? You could easily charge £100 a week in rent and then some...

Granted, this may not be ideal, especially for disabled persons. Also, now I know this is a touchy subject, but may I ask if you work? I also realise that some disabled people simply cannot, but others are able. If you don't work, is it a case of not being able, or is it that the system is designed in such a way that it would just be financial suicide to work?

Ahh, but then when you have a lodger you have to pay extra tax... If you go by the books like.

It's like for every positive there's a negative.

1 step forward, 2 steps back.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

What I find strange is the rumor I was told by a Brit friend of mine about social housing tenants will shortly have to pay $35.00 tax a month on empty bedrooms?

IT'S NOT A TAX!!!!!!!!!! IT IS REDUCTION IN HOUSING BENEFIT FOR THOSE IN RECEIPT OF TAXPAYER MONEY TO PAY THEIR RENT WHO HAVE AN EXTRA BEDROOM!

WHY SHOULD THE TAXPAYER FUND PEOPLE TO HAVE HOUSES BIGGER THAN THEY NEED WHEN THOSE WHO DO PAY FOR THEIR HOUSING HAVE TROUBLE AFFORDING IT?

If people are being FORCED to pay it, then it is a tax on poor people!
edit on 25-3-2013 by doobydoll because: (no reason given)

But they are not "being forced to pay it"...They are just being paid less.

Makes me laugh when benefit people act like they own other peoples tax aha.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by symptomoftheuniverse
Its too late now britain is now a mono culture of multiculturism,just like the rest of the world is being lined up to be.
Its the only way you can get people to be divided while the rich purebreeds conquer the world.
All these people complaining are racists. These immigrants love the british people and just want to help us best they can. Ethinic minorities claim more in benefits than others because we british are racists. Its nothing to do with immigrants being lazy.
I just feel sorry for the indiginous big issue sellers,prostitutes,beggers,labourers,children,hospitals,construction workers....etc etc they have all become less well off. We are modelled on the great u.s.a now. Then they may fight for us against their own country, way to go, alright,usa usa
We should raise taxes to pay for more immigrants, they are better than british people. Less crime,less drugs,less trafficking.
We should rip down all borders so yhe deserving can travel to places and make places like britain a better place.

British Racism??

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but THESE DAYS racism is aimed AT white people.

Immigration has not only strained our health, social and housing systems, but also brought with it a new breed of racism and sexual assulat circles.

In Birmingham, being a white girl automatically makes me target for sexual assaults and racism.

Call me lier...
But check the figures..

edit on 25-3-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou

Originally posted by symptomoftheuniverse

British Racism??

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but THESE DAYS racism is aimed AT white people.

Immigration has not only strained our health, social and housing systems, but also brought with it a new breed of racism and sexual assulat circles.

In Birmingham, being a white girl automatically makes me target for sexual assault and racism.

Call me lier.
But check the figures..
yes you should consider being more modest in your dress,a hijab perhaps. Why wont you bend to the your new reallity. Surley your family voted for this,dont complain now.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by ObservingYou

He was being sarcastic. Anti-racism is codeword for anti-White.

And, yeah, I'm a StormFront member. 14/88.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

The problem I have with this, is that according to estimate's, 80% of those household's affected are going to be families with a disabled member who need an extra bedroom for their disability...already highlighted by another poster. I have personal experience of this also. There is not going to be any provision for this under this new benefit cut...people who NEED an extra bedroom on disability grounds will still have to pay and any extra discretionary help is going to be short term.

I have no problem's with reducing benefit for those who genuinely don't need an extra bedroom and are given a viable smaller alternative that they don't take up on...apart from that, it is just another benefit cut on the poorest.

This is part of what I mentioned before...targeting section's of society and offering them as the problem and thus justifying welfare cuts.....pat on the back to this government for making the UK population turn against itself and point the finger at each other with blame.....when we really should be pointing our finger at the government and calling them out for the reasons why we are where we are today!

That's not to say I don't feel we are all personally accountable...because I do...but it sadden's me at the scale we have now started to stigmatize section's of society mostly led be crappy tabloid's and propaganda and inaccuracies...and all the while ignoring the fact there are bigger fish to fry in the form of corruption on a grand scale!

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by ObservingYou

You talk some rubbish, but yeah this is great news. I'm all for being a welfare state and helping those in need. But equally you need to put in what you take out. Hopefully this will help towards the start of balancing things out.

edit on 25-3-2013 by tdk84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Wow you are a girl? funny I always imagined you as a biker

Now I will just have to imagine you as a Girl biker
(hot one of course
)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   

This thread sounds quite racist shame on you guys and girls for being so anti-other ethnicities. That sucks. But the truth is the benefit system is rubbish, and fails those who need it most at times.

And this needs to change, those with drink/drug habits for example, are considered to have a disability. Now I ask you HOW is addiction a disability? We have this absurd culture that spoils those who dont frankly deserve it at times.
edit on 25-3-2013 by FreedomEntered because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Social housing is a privilege. It is not a right.

Yes, it may be hard for people who have lived in houses for years but if they don't need all the bedrooms then they need to either move or to pay for those rooms.

I don't understand all the talk about taking lodgers either. It is against local government housing rules to sub let in your properties so if anyone wants to go down that route i would definitely check - otherwise you could be in breach of contract and therefore kicked out.

As already identified on here, the only ones i really feel sorry for are those that need the extra room due to disability needs (for carer, equipment, etc).

I am also hoping this goes hand in hand with a serious crackdown on those in significant council rent arrears. People are getting away with running up bills into the thousands in subsidised social housing the length and breadth of the country and yet many of these households have new flatscreen tvs, satellite tv, etc. That isn't right at all. If you think those things are more important than paying for your subsidised home then you should have it taken off you.

And before any of you start saying that is media rubbish, no it isn't. I have direct first hand experience of this. No names being named or areas (various) either but i know of people with new cars, just been on holiday (abroad) etc, and yet they run up rent debts of over £2000. And then moan when they are asked to pay. If it was up to me, they would be homeless and the houses would go to those more deserving.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered

This thread sounds quite racist shame on you guys and girls for being so anti-other ethnicities. That sucks. But the truth is the benefit system is rubbish, and fails those who need it most at times.

And this needs to change, those with drink/drug habits for example, are considered to have a disability. Now I ask you HOW is addiction a disability? We have this absurd culture that spoils those who dont frankly deserve it at times.

I agree... theres a much bigger problem in the United Kindgdom and that's the welfare doll dossiers. When I finished my Education many years ago now I struggled to get work especially with the way the economy was changing/crashing.

Took me a good year to get the right job so I can sympathies with people looking for work. But man, before I found that perfect job I took anything. I was a tin basher for an electrician, did some scaffolding, worked in bars etc I even found a job in the new media industry that I now work. But to get that junior position I had to travel 2 hours there and two hours back for 3 days worth of work and the worst wages ever, but you got to do these things sometimes.

Now in comparison, I have a friend who left the army around the same time, hes a done a few cash in hand jobs, even tried to get him a job at my place but still today he hasn't held a real job since. Admittedly I don't think he takes much welfare since he probably hasn't paid in enough to receive. I love the guy but some people need to put in the effort to get work.

We should be doing more to help such people get real work offer incentives for businesses to do so.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I think there's a couple of facets to this.

First of all I've got say that I despise Cameron with a passion and dislike the general direction he is taking this country, however, I've got to applaud him for this.
It may be popularism but how many times do we criticise politicians for not listening to 'the people'?
This is long overdue and something the vast majority of people in the UK will support.

The open door immigration policy that this country has operated for far too long has to stop - we don't have the room and we don't have the money to support such a policy.
That is not to say that we should not welcome those who have something to offer and can benefit this country or genuine refugee's - but there has to be a limit.

Perhaps we should also look at why there is a lack of cheap and affordable public housing.

When Thatcher began the Right To Buy programme many of our parents bought their homes - only a fool wouldn't have taken advantage of that offer if they were in a position to do so.
But successive governments and councils etc have completely failed to build any new council housing.
As a result it forced people, mostly young couples, into the private housing market which in turn resulted in spiralling house prices and rental fee's - simple supply and demand.
But in the meantime the population increases, the economy goes tits up and hey presto we end up in the appalling situation we are in at present.

Solutions?
Well first off let's take an open and honest look at this country's immigration policy.
Then let's take a serious look at the prioritisation process for current available council housing with some emphasis being placed on existing British nationals.
Legislate against unscrupulous landlords charging exorbitant amounts of rent.

But perhaps most importantly begin a nationwide house building programme that will offer cheap and affordable housing for the needy and those on low to middle incomes.
As well as the obvious improvement to social housing this would also provide some stimulus to the economy, would take people off benefits and give them real jobs with a decent tax paying wage which they would then in turn spend thus further helping the ailing economy.

It's so simple and obvious to me but then again I'm just a dumb council estate boy.
edit on 25/3/13 by Freeborn because: spelling

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
I think there's a couple of facets to this.

First of all I've got say that I despise Cameron with a passion and dislike the general direction he is taking this country, however, I've got to applaud him for this.
It may be popularism but how many times do we criticise politicians for not listening to 'the people'?
This is long overdue and something the vast majority of people in the UK will support.

The open door immigration policy that this country has operated for far too long has to stop - we don't have the room and we don't have the money to support such a policy.
That is not to say that we should not welcome those who have something to offer and can benefit this country or genuine refugee's - but there has to be a limit.

Perhaps we should also look at why there is a lack of cheap and affordable public housing.

When Thatcher began the Right To Buy programme many of our parents bought their homes - only a fool wouldn't have taken advantage of that offer if they were in a position to do so.
But successive governments and councils etc have completely failed to build any new council housing.
As a result it forced people, mostly young couples, into the private housing market which in turn resulted in spiralling house prices and rental fee's - simple supply and demand.
But in the meantime the population increases, the economy goes tits up and hey presto we end up in the appalling situation we are in at present.

Solutions?
Well first off let's take an open and honest look at this country's immigration policy.
Then let's take a serious look at the prioritisation process for current available council housing with some emphasis being placed on existing British nationals.
Legislate against unscrupulous landlords charging exorbitant amounts of rent.

But perhaps most importantly begin a nationwide house building programme that will offer cheap and affordable housing for the needy and those on low to middle incomes.
As well as the obvious improvement to social housing this would also provide some stimulus to the economy, would take people off benefits and give them real jobs with a decent tax paying wage which they would then in turn spend thus further helping the ailing economy.

It's so simple and obvious to me but then again I'm just a dumb council estate boy.
edit on 25/3/13 by Freeborn because: spelling

Again, I find myself agreeing with everything you have to say.

and also add there has to be something done in regards to the prioritisation process with young adults, people having kids to get housing etc. Its ridiculous. I'm almost 30 and would love to have kids, but haven't, because until recently I know I simple cant afford too.

This culture of doing first and worrying about it later has to change. Its deep seeded in a lot of things like the giant dept people got themselves into that aided in recent economic problems.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   
I'm sorry if I sound racist..But I know that I am not.

I am just merely oberserving the fact that there is ethnic and cultral bias happening daily in this county.

I put just as much/if not more effort in trying to stop our wars to save these Eastern Butts.

edit on 25-3-2013 by ObservingYou because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered

You've hit another nail on the head. Drug/Alchohol addicts should be stripped of their benefits also...If it leads to crime, let em do the time!

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join