It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast, Healthy and Tasty, what more do you want? yes it is cheap too.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I like this one because it is

1. Fast, I hate messing about in the kitchen, unless I am frying bacon without my shirt on.
2. Healthy, because I am gods specimen of health. (LOL!!!)
3. Tasty, because ever since that incident with the axe, my tongues a bit shorter, now I need tasty food.
4. It's cheap, I am not cheap, the products are, I just pitch things in the cart(s) and then complain at the till.

Ingredients:
Pacific Salmon filets X the number of hungry wolves your feeding.
1 Large onion.
3 Large lemons.
2 cups of Jasmin Rice.
1 extra vegetable, no not uncle Janko.

Tools:
Cookie sheet at least 12-16 inches long
Tin foil - If your out, use some from your hat.
Medium sized cookware with lid
A stove, hotplate, or camp stove.
A club, to keep the wolves at bay as you try to get it all cooked and plated.

Step one:

Pre Heat oven to 400F

Line the cookie sheet with a length of tin foil. Put the dull side down. This is pretty simple, if at this step you are all of a sudden confused, please leave the thread.

Next slice your onions and lemons. 1/2 inch thickness should be OK.

Place 2 slices of onions and 2 slices of lemon down for every fillet you are going to cook. Basically all these do is keep the skin from sticking to the foil.

This is what you should have so far.

Step two:

Place the rest of the onions and lemons on top. Not big on onion? don't put them on top.

Build up the sides like a dam, this will help when it is time to ask your girlfriend to wash the dishes up.

So if you built the little boat right, you'll now have something that looks similar to the way I wrap a Christmas pressie.

Now cover it with another piece of foil, dull side up. Are you able to keep so far? OK,

Place it inside the oven, already heated to 400F middle rack.

Step three:

START THE RICE.
2 Cups of Jasmine Rice, three cups of good water. Add 1/2tbsp of margarine to water, it will help stop it from running over.

Bring to boil, stir it every few mins, don't let it stick to the bottom. Once it is at full boil, turn down the heat to LOWEST burner setting and cover. DO NOT open the lid. Even if a buddy comes over and begs you to open the pot so he/she can take a peek, don't do it. That's how to flub up rice by opening the lid. Set the timer for 20 mins.

So at this time, you need to grab the club, jam it down your pants for fast retrieval, things are going to start smelling good. It will attract all kinds of dangerous attention.

Once the Salmon went into the oven, it took about 10 mins to get the rice to boil, now the rice needs to sit covered on low for 20 mins. When the timer goes off.

OK, so the timer for the rice has just went off. Remove the rice from the burner, turn the burner off (duh).
Check the Salmon, it should be flaky, it should not be bright pink anywhere inside it.

Lets plate this bad girl.

You should have gallons of China Lilly soy sauce at the ready, some salt if you choose and copious amounts of pepper. Turn the phones off, turn the ambient background music on.

Go downstairs and grab a bottle of the wine you picked up a few days earlier (if you have done your homework)
Wine Suggestions

Bon appetite.

A special thank you to Tundra, my lady gurl for both helping me with handling the sharp knife, taking photographs and most importantly, helping clean the kitchen up.

The only thing missing was you.

Only one fish was harmed in the making of this recipe. Shot with Canon on Location in paradise.

edit on 24-3-2013 by lnfideI because: ~~~~ __/) ~~~~~~

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Give you a tip next time get about 15-20 grapes cut them in half and add them to the salmon....then cook...sounds odd but boy best thing ever

Oh and If you add garlic and ginger to it ...even better.
edit on 24-3-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Give you a tip next time get about 15-20 grapes cut them in half and add them to the salmon....then cook...sounds odd but boy best thing ever

Oh and If you add garlic and ginger to it ...even better.
edit on 24-3-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

Grapes?

Green or red? then slice them, place them face down on the fish?

Might have to try that.

I like the garlic idea, but if I eat any more garlic, the only kisses I may get will be from the friends dog.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by lnfideI

Green works best, just put them in the tinfoil with the fish etc try to make the tin foil pretty airtight (like a bag) so all the flavour infuses with the grapes, If garlic is a no no try ginger, ginger goes well with Salmon and the grapes.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I love fish, I could eat it four days a week without tiring of it. I like almost any kind of fish if prepared right. Sounds like a good recipe to me. A little too much lemon though, one lemon is plenty. I'd rather spend the extra money on more fish

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Just to point out do not eat salmon,trout,mackeral,tuna or herrings more than 3 times per week way to much mercury in them to eat all the time.
(1st job was a Fishmonger)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lnfideI

You have nice looking hands....what time should I arrive for dinner......

Des

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by lnfideI

You have nice looking hands....what time should I arrive for dinner......

Des

Are you trying to make this shy little boy blush?

Anytime after 7 am is OK Des.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:51 PM
link   
As a Professional chef and baker, I can agree but with one suggestion.

Salmon...not so cheap in many areas. Love it as well as Haddock, Sole and especially Halibut.

Your recipe will work with many fresh water fish as well such as pickerel (Walleye), perch and even Pike (Jack Fish...More abundant) and if people were to use something like Basa (Cat fish style soft taste) the cost would be about 1/5th.

Just a suggestion but great recipe nonetheless.

Peace
edit on 24-3-2013 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:08 AM
link   
It was on sale at Safeway the other day for $5.00 a package. That was two fillets in the pack. I think we threw in 10-12 packs. I like to throw them frozen into the cooler for weekending in the summer.

The Lemons were 14 cents a pop, the onion I picked up out of the ditch a few weeks ago, (kidding)

I keep forgetting about all the stuff my Mom sends home with me in the fall, I will show you what I mean in your thread "why don't you prep?, or something along those lines.

I will try some other fish next time.

Thanks for the advice, I can always use good advice.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by lnfideI

Thank you! What topic will this end up under so I can find it tomorrow night? Grey area?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dianec
reply to post by lnfideI

Thank you! What topic will this end up under so I can find it tomorrow night? Grey area?

Hi Diane,

They may stuff it into one of the following categories:

Disaster Conspiracies
Cryptozoology

Or where I was going to initially post it in
Ludicrous Online Lies

Just type in, Lemon of a dilly, Dilly of a lemon, lemon head, fish stories, or flounders fields. It should come up somewhere.

Cheerio

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Thanks for the great recipie Infidel.

Its only 08:55 here at the moment and you have got my mouth watering... going to try this out tomorrow evening with a nice cold glass of Touraine Sauvignon.

By the way, now we know you have hairy hands

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 04:10 AM
link   
mhhh, yummy yummy !!

InfideI of ATS, I would gladly do the dishes if you would share this meal obviously for two with me. maybe next time….

I also have an idea to improve your dish in taste and in cost. wrap it in banana leaves. they give it some extra exotic flavour and they come for free (if you have access to it). it makes cooking more environmentally friendly –

I do like the method of cooking where you can save a lot of time cleaning up, I use baking paper underneath everything that goes into the oven.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   
I would not call Salmon a cheap meal. Unless you are catching it yourself. What are those slimey looking green things on the plate?
edit on 3-25-2013 by groingrinder because: Edited for more words.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Not so healthy for the poor salmon. That salmon, if it could sign up as a member and type with her fins, would have some choice words to gurgle to you.

And I know what I'm talking about, because I was once a hand model (true).
edit on 25-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by rickymouse

Just to point out do not eat salmon,trout,mackeral,tuna or herrings more than 3 times per week way to much mercury in them to eat all the time.
(1st job was a Fishmonger)

If you eat garlic or onions with the fish, the sulfur molecule in them binds to the mercury and it is excreted. The same with any sulfur food like kimchi. Eating egg drop soup along with the fish can help to bind the mercury also. The albumin ties to the mercury to make it inaccessible.

The old people had practices to stop mercury from becoming a problem. We chose to ignore them and listen to science. I am now trying to investigate science to find the answer to things.

It was also found that the mercury in fish is not absorbed if in moderate amounts because of the sulfur it contains. I read a study on this and this is why the health department has raised their allowable consumption of fish lately. They were testing for mercury before and not testing if it was bound or not. Eating all the fat of an older fish is not advisable though, neither is eating a fish that is taken from a lake or river that has a lot of mercury present from refining gold and other metals. The excess mercury is stored in the fat and also in the bones of these older fish.

When they told us that eggs were no good for us they made a big mistake and caused a lot of complications with the heavy metals.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I would not call Salmon a cheap meal. Unless you are catching it yourself. What are those slimey looking green things on the plate?

Those slimey looking green things on the plate are there because of their sulfur compounds. Read my above post to find the reason.

Some things just go good together, like asparagus and fish. Ever wonder why they go good together? Cabbage can bind to the arsenic in rice also to help it not get absorbed.
edit on 25-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder

In the western part of Canada I live in, the fish was as cheap as Russian borscht.

The green slimy looking things are brussel sprouts.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by lnfideI

HHHmmm sprouts, like a whole cabbage made small
I love em

Back when I was a fishmonger 20 years back Salmon was really expensive now it is cheaper than Cod.
edit on 25-3-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join