It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake swarm of 4.x's and 5.x's.... The start of something big?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

First of all, allow me to explain the meaning of the word earthquake swarm..... it is a series of quakes all within a certain amount of time within the same spot, or very very near the spot of the first quake ..

I've been watching the GlobalIncidentMap site for a while. I haven't seen anything like this since I've started watching... Yes... One'zees... Two'zees... Maybe one or two 3.x's thrown in for good measure. meh

Is it possible that all of these 4.x and 5.x's have something in common? Like they are all building up to something to happen in a common area; perhaps in a spot in the Pacific Ocean - along some tectonic plate line(s)?

After considering it... To answer my own question: time will tell.
edit on 25/3/2013 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by timetothink

Landslides are exactly the big issue with a possible Canary Island event. An earthquake on it's own is a localised event to a large extent, however terrible it might be. Tsunamis created by landslides however are massive, and have the capacity to impact a much much larger area. Historically, we've even had events like the Storegga slip here in Scotland, which is not a very seismically active area. It can happen anywhere, and the possibility is that the worst impact might be remote from the seismic site itself. Not good.

British Geological Survey
edit on 25-3-2013 by caitlinfae because: half asleep typos

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Well, I'm off to bed... to tired to track any more tonight.

Hopefully things will be not so jello-like, and everything else will be pretty much the same tomorrow.

p.s. 4.2 in Indonesia about 3:40am EST... but they are used to those.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   
The USGS map around Fiji looks like it is very active. A couple of 5s and a 6 in there, hopefully the 6 was the big one.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
It's the next day.... no more 4.x's or 5.x's occurred in the Pacific region or in the Canary Islands since last reported.

Looks like that was it, at least for now. Thank G-d for that.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by alysha.angel

First of all, allow me to explain the meaning of the word earthquake swarm..... it is a series of quakes all within a certain amount of time within the same spot, or very very near the spot of the first quake ..

this here does not consist of a quake swarm by any standards because their happening all over the world and from the informatuon you provided it is most deff not a swarm.. and thats just off the top of my head . plus i just woke up for the day . and this used to be my hobby , watching quakes and volcanoes and i have done extensive research over the years into what is what ...

i for one can honestly say there is nothing out of the ordinary here folks . unless we start getting quakes with mags that are over 5 and nothing but then id worry but for now ,. its business as usual.

I beg to differ with you.... the "something bigger" (or, if you like (as a typo): "something bitter")) did occur. An EQ 6.2 in Guatemala 3-25-2013 was what this thread was anticipating. 6.2's I don't think are normal.

So next time before you say that "it's business as usual", admit that you don't know everything and perhaps offer the benefit of the doubt.
edit on 26/3/2013 by MarkJS because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join