It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over in Cyprus, there are reports of a small explosion causing a fire at a Bank of Cyprus branch ton

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

finmin told cyp reporters 50-60% haircut for bank of cyprus demanded. suggests it cd be preparing for lower 35-40% haircut a la IMF
And

Cyprus's finance minister has told some reporters that the Troika want haircuts of over 50% for wealthy savers (€100k+) at Bank of Cyprus

Since all the accounts of 100,000 Euros and under are protected, it comes down to a problem for the 1%'ers. Me, myself am not shedding any tears for them.

I would say that the 1%'ers do have power and can inflict damage. So it'll be interesting to keep in touch with this story to see if anything else develops.
edit on 25/3/2013 by MarkJS because: Win8 automatic spell correction- not always what I would like.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:11 AM
link   
How people rob banks:

"This is a robbery! Open the vault! Now!"

How banks rob people:

"This is a robbery! Lock the vault! Now!"

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kali74
I don't think violence such as this is okay, but then again it's pretty damn violent to steal peoples savings. Some banks have night guards though and their isn't justification for hurting or killing someone.

What else is there though? When things get dire peaceful protest isn't going to do anything at all. People at the top will just laugh at peaceful protesters. Sometimes physical force is absolutely necessary; and strangely enough, this is coming from a leftist who isn't violent by nature

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

The interesting thing is, this is one group of 1%ers screwing a different group of 1%ers. Division within the ranks? How soon before it becomes every 1% for him/herself?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shuye
How people rob banks:

"This is a robbery! Open the vault! Now!"

How banks rob people:

"This is a robbery! Lock the vault! Now!"

That reminds me of another quote, sorry, don't know who said it first.

"Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank and he can rob the world."

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
lol, which think tank came up with the name 'haircut'? Is that supposed to make the idea of banks refusing to give back people money sound less threatening?

Please don't jump to the tune of these thieves by using their propaganda catch words!!! It doesn't make you sound clever it just shows you are sheeple.

edit on 25-3-2013 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by Senduko

Thats all well and good but why the HAIRCUTS?

(read your OT)

My understanding is that Cypriot bankers are very hairy and they don't want people to mistake them for werewolves as often happens. For example, I saw a werewolf at the bus stop just this morning. Or possibly just a very hairy guy. Either way, the silver bullets worked but why risk it?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Explosions? I am suprised there hasnt been all out WAR! The people are not, NOT the playthings of the business world, nor the banks, nor the government of the EU.

They are under attack from forces which have no face, which have a distributed centre of power, which have no name and no nationality. I can only say that explosions are the LEAST of the reactions I expect from the people of Cyprus.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
The bomb was labeled Molotov cocktail.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MarkJS
reply to post by Senduko

finmin told cyp reporters 50-60% haircut for bank of cyprus demanded. suggests it cd be preparing for lower 35-40% haircut a la IMF
And

Cyprus's finance minister has told some reporters that the Troika want haircuts of over 50% for wealthy savers (€100k+) at Bank of Cyprus

Since all the accounts of 100,000 Euros and under are protected, it comes down to a problem for the 1%'ers. Me, myself am not shedding any tears for them.

I would say that the 1%'ers do have power and can inflict damage. So it'll be interesting to keep in touch with this story to see if anything else develops.
edit on 25/3/2013 by MarkJS because: Win8 automatic spell correction- not always what I would like.

The problem with not caring about the 1%ers is that they are not going to keep doing business with people who are stealing their money. Once they pull what is left of their assets do you think the government will stop? No, then it will be all account of $75,000 or less, and so forth until it is just everyone.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Majiq1

People w/100,000 or more Euros in the bank are one thing. People with less is a different story. That would be another reason to keep tabs on this potentially wide-spread dilemma..

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

nothing will help cyprus to show signs of recovery

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarkJS
reply to post by Majiq1

People w/100,000 or more Euros in the bank are one thing. People with less is a different story. That would be another reason to keep tabs on this potentially wide-spread dilemma..

100,000 is not much money at all

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by lnfideI
I knew it was going to come to this. Nothing gets people more riled up than poking fun at their money.

Lets say you had, $430,000 in a checking account.

How the heck are you going to go and pull it all out?

Go 43 days straight and take out 10k at the teller?

Where would you hide it? put it? secure it?

Do you think that pulling out that sort of cash would create any suspicions with the authorities?

Then what?

edit on 24-3-2013 by lnfideI because: ~~~~ __/) ~~~~~~

So... it's the people's fault, then? And they should give up all their money? Simply because the banks screwed up (on purpose, mind you)... and have made it difficult for them to withdraw large amounts of cash?

You drank the kool-aid, didn't ya?

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Cyprus is only a step in the geopolitical and monetary war between the West and the East.

Look at a map, Cyprus is close to Syria, Liban and Israel.
Oil and gas reserves have been found under the eastern meditarrenaean sea...

Dont forget they also banned Iran from SWIFT.
"Lets seize those Russian fortunes !"

Looks like a war is in full throttle to control the world finance.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MarkJS

I see where you are coming from I just don't completely agree. I think that government theft is just as bad no matter how wealthy the people are they are stealing from. Once they take all the rich peoples money who do you think will be next?

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:08 AM
link   

09.30 Our man in Nicosia Nick Squires on what to expect when Cypriot banks open their doors tomorrow.

There will be extra security around Cyprus's banks when they open on Thursday, amid fears of a run on the banks and verbal or physical abuse being directed at staff by angry and frustrated customers.

A British company, G4S, will have security guards on hand when the banks open, including the two biggest and most troubled, Bank of Cyprus and Cyprus Popular Bank or Laiki.

A spokesman for Popular Bank, Costas Archimandrites, said the bank would try to ensure there are no public order problems.

“One of the first things we discussed about our re-opening was people’s reaction and so we have spoken to the police and security firms to ensure order is kept at our branches island-wide,” he told the Cyprus Mail newspaper.

“We hope people understand the whole situation is not the employees’ fault and understand that the employees too face an uncertain future,” he said.

G4S, a private security firm, will post an extra 180 staff inside and outside banks.

“Our purpose, in close co-operation with the police, is to keep order and to help bank employees,” John Arghyrou, from G4S, told the Cyprus Mail.

“Because of the growing uncertainty over the whole sector and over people’s deposits we have had to increase the amount of security at banks, as understandably, banks want to protect their property."

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Could this be part of the 'technical advisory' team the UK sent over?...I think so....

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

When they pull out the SS ( G4S ) you know how bad they expect it to be. A poster said a few days back, how can the police arrest these people, isn't their money also in the banks? Well here is your answer.

They did the same in greece, there was a thread about it. Saying the police had to sign a deal in which they wouldn't meddle in the affairs from G4S

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Senduko

Much easier to control the 'masses' with 'troops' from foreign countries, than expect 'your own' to do it when they are 'in the same boat'. It is so scarry that this can be applied anywhere in the world.

I would also 'beggar the question' as to how deeply involved the UK still is in Cyprus since it's partition in the '70's.

Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join