It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHY I Dont Invest in Gold/Silver

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It's hilarious watching the "either/or" debates going on in these types of threads.

Apparently, the only option is to have precious metals OR have food, guns, water, land, etc.

What the hell makes you guys think those who own precious metals don't also have all the other necessities ?

Land, home, gardens, distanced from large population centres, surrounded by wild bush, completely debt-free, food, supplies, fuel, access to underground potable water, weapons, ammo, equipment, supplies, booze, hidden cash, hidden gold and silver, self-sustainability skills, etc etc...

Anyone with half a brain prepares themselves the best way they can for any and all types of SHTF scenarios that they can think of.

Just keep in mind that a dollar collapse is a far more probable SHTF scenario than a Mad Max zombie apocalypse is. Why would you chose to only prepare for one and not the other ?!

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Templeton

Really you still cling to Pharma? In survival mode you use oils and herbs from nature medical purposes. Which are way better anyways.

But if you was to stock pile antibiotics then just get ones for farm animals since the others are hard to get.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Cranien it went 1400ponge

What NO ZOMBIES! Okay this has gone far enough! Now your taking it to the realm of redonkulus! Okay I give up. Sold all my gold when it went 1400 and retired. No one ever said we not to diversify just dont see its worth in a TEOTWAWKI situation. Never said it wasn't an "investment" just questioned its worth in a total collapse. Still I wont trade a can of beans for a double eagle unless I know its all gonna get better the nextday.
Really though no zombies. My kids are gonna be so bummed.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
There is just about only one time to buy gold.....when its a rock bottom prices. Then you sale as the price climbs up somewhere. You cant buy on the big end and then sell on the big end. Its an economic law....the law of economics related to buying and selling ANYTHING for profit or a hedge.

Another law and related to the first is that you cant buy something very subject to inflation burring a period of inflation and expect to make much of a hedge out of it.....unless you are a millionaire where a simple % can mean a relitve profit and then you can still lose.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   
metals move wealth from this economy to the next.
all you preppers prep TO much and think we would be living in a post apocalyptic world for 100 years, where YES, PMs would be useless.
the much more likely events, is that the dollar/world economies will crash and the US will spend a good 3-6 months in hardships for gas/food/meds/water until the government pushes its new dollar and the shelves are stocked again.

the known/planned crash is a transition to further plans. you didnt think they intended on us all to starve so they have no people to play god with in the new world do you? they have the power, they want to keep the power, the plans are already made. there is a rebuild plan already in motion.

PMs move your little wealth and power to the next world. no one is suggesting its all for end of the world bartering lol

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
It depends on the time frame you intend to invest for. If it's the long term then gold/silver/shares are all great investments.

No one will lose anything unless they buy for short term gain which is stupidity not investment..

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Bisman

The reason why I don't (and will not) buy PM's is because I prepare for the worst case scenario. Obviously you would want some way to transition from one currency to another, but, you don't think they would help people along with that if that were the case? If they knew the dollar was going to tank, especially in the US, they would warn the people. Otherwise they would have a lot of pissed off gun owners looking at their empty bank accounts and then wondering how they could get it back with their fully loaded guns.

There is no reason to prepare for currency devaluation (in my opinion) unless you don't have a job, or are easily replaceable in your job. Like they say, prepare for a zombie apocalypse and you'll be prepared for anything.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by pacifier2012
It depends on the time frame you intend to invest for. If it's the long term then gold/silver/shares are all great investments.

No one will lose anything unless they buy for short term gain which is stupidity not investment..

Even then you must buy low. If you buy when prices are high you are forced to set on it. What we have now is a gold price bubble and like that house one may have bought 8 or 6 years ago its not worth what what you paied for it. And you cant refi gold and silver.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Complete GARBAGE!

In what 10,000 years a universal constant known on every continent has been Gold or Silver it has always had value.

For anyone to say Gold would be worthless is just plain wrong.

True you can't eat gold but you can trade it for food,land, everything else.

Land people don't own land either by a mortgage or property taxes that can't be paid for.

However there was a time to get in to gold, that time is long passed when government's around the world are buying it the biggest reason that the gold price has increased is because it is a finite resource unlike fiat currency.

The less there is the more value it will have when people own printing press's well you get what we see today.
edit on 24-3-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

If you had food, land, everything else, would you accept shiny bits of metal for it? Think about it this way. You worked hard for everything you have and will have to continue to work hard for it, what good is gold or silver when you have to dig a well? Harvest your crops? Plant your crops? Build a fire?

Agreed gold was revered and will always be, just not by me or the rest of the peasants.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

In an economic collapse people won't be working so people can't pay for their land or food given the fact that gold or silver can't be eaten to me seems like the preferred choice of barter.

You can pay someone to dig a well etc

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I feel like there's no need to emphasize "why" in the title. If anything "I" should be emphasized, but capitalizing all the letters there doesn't do much.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
yes land and wells and crops and stock and personal labor is more valuable then gold and silver.

but land and wells and crops and stock and personal labor can be taken away and called federal property as well.

granted gold can be stolen as well, but nothing says tangible better then putting something from your hand to your pocket. not so easy with this "land ownership" thing that we are so silly to believe exists.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Yep copper jacketed iron core lead will be worth more that gold. Heck you got brass, lead, copper and iron/steel.....your in the pm bizz. Bing, bang, boom.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

In an economic collapse people won't be working so people can't pay for their land or food given the fact that gold or silver can't be eaten to me seems like the preferred choice of barter.

You can pay someone to dig a well etc

What are the bankers going to do with the land? Sit on it? If it is nationwide, that is extremely doubtful. I'm sure someone would rather get paid with food/clothing/water/shelter for digging your well then with some shiny pieces of metal. I know if I couldn't afford my house or food, that would mean I have no means to support myself or to feed my family. Where am I going to keep all my gold that you are paying me with if I have no house?
If you have no means to purify water, and a member of your family is suffering from a waterborne illness, would you take the gold to dig the well, or would you take medication, or a means to purify water so this doesn't happen again?

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CSBowie

Next Im going to put in a pond and stock it.

yeah. good luck with getting a pond approved if your a USA resident....

water storage is a 'resource' the state wants control over.... your 'pond' will need to be tested regularly... the dikes or mounds will need to be supervised bt the corps of engineers.... then it must be made 'safe' to trespassers that want to skinny-dip against Your wishes

an illegal pond could be looked at as a terrorist activity.... so brace for mega-bucks in fines & a potential decade in jail !

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Knives4eyes

Why would anyone in the survival mode want anything but physical gold or silver ? There is no fee to buy or sell gold or silver as a private individual.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

If a half dozen bob tails pull up at the end of your street and 50 armed thugs jump out, what are you going to do?

My neighbors and I have more than enough firepower onhand, 50 thugs would be easily handled.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Precious metals is not for WHILE TSHTF is in full swing. It is for well AFTER when the recovery is solidly in place. Then your current savings can be re-established.

For the duration of the TSHTF event you must also be fully stocked, prepared and ready.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Never buy gold/silver shares. You need to have the metal in your possession. If the SHTF, how are you going to get your shares converted, and to what? Rubels?

Do you think if the SHTF that the NYSE is going to be operative? Do you think your broker is gonna be hanging around the office waiting to take your trade order?

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Even then you must buy low. If you buy when prices are high you are forced to set on it. What we have now is a gold price bubble and like that house one may have bought 8 or 6 years ago its not worth what what you paied for it. And you cant refi gold and silver.

Sorry, but there is no "gold bubble" that you speak of. Gold prices are partially driven by scarcity, supply, and demand. Housing is not. Houses lose value because they do not last forever and depreciate over time.

Gold will hold its value simply because as others have posted, it has been used as currency for thousands of years.

Silver is undervalued based on its demand and usage in industry. It should be trading at 1:9 the value of gold, putting it at around $100 an ounce right now. Gold will go to 3K an ounce soon, and Silver will follow an upswing and catch up to the 1:9 ratio.

So you have an upside of 5 or 600% gain in silver, versus 100% gain in Gold.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join