It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WHY I Dont Invest in Gold/Silver

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I don't have any alcohol so I guess no desperate alcoholics will be breaking down my door to get to it. The roving gangs scenario is quite real, though.

Imagine local gangs, convoying around in stolen trucks looting and killing, house to house. If a half dozen bob tails pull up at the end of your street and 50 armed thugs jump out, what are you going to do? Do you have a "bolt hole"?

edit on 24-3-2013 by intrptr because: spelling

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

It depends, are they looting or are they cannibals?

Looting? I doubt they would take the time (or have the intelligence) to know exactly where I would hide things in a SHTF scenario.
Cannibals? I fight. May not win, but I would fight.

I don't have any alcohol so I guess no desperate alcoholics will be breaking down my door to get to it.

Plus, I wouldn't really advertise what I have...I kind of thought that would be a given...
edit on 24-3-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Templeton

Food...fish pond
Basic Maslow
Survival First
Why my granddad had a dozen ways to cook possum. It was the only thing to hunt during the depression in the south.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   

People used to live like this normally. In a pre federal reserve, fiat currency world (according to the constitution) gold, silver, nickel and copper were the only allowable forms of "currency". And congress (elected representatives) was supposed to be the only to "coin" money and regulate the value thereof. It was "normal and ordinary" way of existence. Now that is so far gone people don't have an understanding of it anymore. People like, well the people on here. And some others who foster the "metals are worthless" jargon.

Earlier post here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

When things "crash" for whatever reason it will return to that way again. Until some thieving greedy bankers try and take it all again.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

That was far from explaining a scenario where other tangible goods are not there and gold is the only thing to trade.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   

I don't have any alcohol so I guess no desperate alcoholics will be breaking down my door to get to it.

Plus, I wouldn't really advertise what I have...I kind of thought that would be a given...

I thought you were going to trade it to them? Now you are hiding it? Okay... good advice

Besides when you run out, some moon shiner will be ready to sell (ahem)... trade for more.

People can smell mash cooking for miles.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

The only scenario where gold is not 'valuable' is during modern times. Except it is the only thing that has quintupled in value since 911. Same with silver. What scenario is the only one where gold loses its value?

Now, as well as ancient times it was the only thing... King Tuts tomb had seven tons of it inside.

The chapel walls in Europe are covered with it. The banks of all nations hold it as their "ace in the hole". Thats all.

Tired of this one. Thanks for the replies superman... i'm out.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Only a complete idiot would let their customer know that they have many more...especially in the situation described. You have heard of supply and demand?

Sure they could go to a moonshiner...but like you said, "when I run out". By then I will have traded for things that I need to continue on to smarter trades. I have no compunction of taking advantage of someone that "needs" a good (tobacco, alcohol) in order to help my family.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Gold is useless when you are hungry.

I'm tired too. Enjoy eating your shiny metal.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

edit on 24-3-2013 by superman2012 because: gross. double post..haven't done that in awhile

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CSBowie

By the way, thanks for the thread and discussion. S/F.

I see now that this thread is more of a fantasy thread where we can ride off into the sunset with the smell of gun powder wafting from our holsters. And not based in any sort of reality. I can play this game! I currently have about 20 pounds of coffee extra and 2 cases (24 bottles) of vodka (I don't drink) in my pantry. I have boxes of batteries off all sizes and even a couple boxes of BIC lighters. These are my meager bartering supplies. I think they would work well for me. I also have tons of canned food, water filtration/purification systems, medicine and trapping/skinning gear to hedge my bets if all of society collapses. I have only a single gun and a couple boxes of ammo so I am deficient there, but if situations were really that dire you can bet I will find a way to take yours. But as others pointed out this is for an entirely different reason than why I have silver and gold. The reason for those are because they are, can be, and have been a stable fallback currency. That and I am sure not going to invest my paper money back in the banking system.

The investment I am most proud of though is the relationships I have with my neighbors.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Well, "reality" is that this hasn't happened and we don't know how this would go. You have one side claiming that gold would be silly and one side saying it would be the end all be all. Let's hope we never have to find out.

I agree with you though! Having a good group and a community would be worth far more than anything!

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by CSBowie

I would not be quoting an article from an author named "Justin Thyme" (just in time)......

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Junk silver coin is the best investment for a SHTF economic crisis....Easy to buy, easy to trade,
and everyone knows its value.

It gives me pause to even give this information out--It's like an insider trading tip because there is not
enough silver coin to go around for everyone. But very few will heed the advice and at least I can say
I tried to help....

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by CSBowie

Agreed, land and guns are the way to go.
You can't plant your food in pots of gold, and all of the gold cannot reason with a man with a gun intent on getting your stuff.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

I think Im gonna steal that and put it over my door, thanx. Pretty much sums up my whole post. Wife always did say I over explained everything LOL

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Complete GARBAGE!

In what 10,000 years a universal constant known on every continent has been Gold or Silver it has always had value.

For anyone to say Gold would be worthless is just plain wrong.

True you can't eat gold but you can trade it for food,land, everything else.

Land people don't own land either by a mortgage or property taxes that can't be paid for.

However there was a time to get in to gold, that time is long passed when government's around the world are buying it the biggest reason that the gold price has increased is because it is a finite resource unlike fiat currency.

The less there is the more value it will have when people own printing press's well you get what we see today.
edit on 24-3-2013 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Some of the best barter items after the SHTF will be:
Non-powered hand tools, especially drills, drawknives, planes, froes, sickles.
I'm going to make my fortune bartering hacksaw blades.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrptr

that or to have it taken by the government.

Like you would take yours down to the local police station and turn it in...

when its the only thing left to trade. Remember, at this same time guns are outlawed and people have (at some point) to come out of their dwelling to find food. If you have a rifle slung over your shoulder or a pistol at your hip it will be taken away. Just like any other period of marshall law. If theres police and military enough to go around...

if not, then the crime bosses for your hood will kill you for it.

Which is why pistols for concealed carry will be more valuable that any other guns except anything full auto or good sniper rifles.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Staying off the beaten path is a good idea too. Depending on your current locale of course. There will be roadblocks or checkpoints everywhere. They will take anything of value if it really is that bad news scenario. Even your "hide-out".

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join