It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3D-printed gun maker now has federal firearms license to manufacture, deal guns

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I wonder how that happened, maybe there's hope for this country after all.

3D-printed gun maker now has federal firearms license to manufacture, deal guns

On Saturday, Defense Distributed—America’s best-known group of 3D gunsmiths—announced on Facebook that its founder, Cody Wilson, is now a federally licensed gun manufacturer and dealer. The group published a picture of the Type 7 federal firearms license (FFL) to prove it.

The goals of Defense Distributed is to produce and publish information related to the 3D printing of firearms. 3D printers can do some amazing things and these guys already made some firearms parts that work. My favorites are the Cuomo and Feinstein AR Mags. lol

They are still waiting for the Class 2 SOT which will allow them to make a fully-automatic rifle. I'm very interested to see if that will actually work out, and what new laws our fearless leaders will try to pass in response.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
3D Printed Guns (Documentary)

Click, Print, Gun: The Inside Story of the 3D-Printed Gun Movement

Read more: motherboard.vice.com...

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I have been following the gun debate in the US for some years, and also have been keeping an eye on the people who are promoting a more distributed knowledge base with regard to manufacture. Defense Distributed is one such organisation, but there are others. For instance, there is a fellow who, realising that if one purchases a BLANK lower reciever, and machines it himself using a series of jigs, he can legally possess a firearm which has no registration what so ever, did just that and made a video (A thousand curses upon me, but I cannot remember his name for the life of me right now).

The reason for this is that as long as the part is not sold pre-machined, it does not have to be stamped and serial numbered. Along similar lines then, I doubt that Cody will be selling printed recievers. His entire ethos appears to be against regulation, so selling those recievers will be tantamount to going back on that. This is because, if he sells the pre-printed reciever to a customer, he would be obligated by law to attatch a serial number, and either he, or the purchaser would have to register the firearm.

What he can do however, is continue to refine the quality and strength of his product, up to (or, maybe above) industry standard, and continue to provide that information to the public, so that those who have a 3d printer can make it for themselves, exempt from serialisation, and registration. As mentioned in the documentary, there is a lot of research happening into different and more exotic material mediums for 3D printing, ones which may be able to offer increased strength to printed products. Perhaps it will not be long before the rest of a firearm is printable therefore.

All of this poses a big question. Where does one draw the line? Do people believe that the part of the second ammendment which states that the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, ought to preclude the government from being able to monitor weapons at all? Are people dismayed that the previously comprehensive monitoring appears to be dissolving in the face of this distributed knowledge base?

All I know is, that the changes in the manner in which such things are being manufactured, are going to change the way that firearms are looked at by government, and by users, and by the general public, not to mention manufacturers themselves.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:45 AM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

just saw this video .. all I can say is ...

WOW ~!!!

What exactly is the future of manufacturing...........??~!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by whatsecret

Your local gun store of the future will have less fully assembled weapons on the walls, and more 'make your order' weapon's parts with instructions on easily assembly.

In fact, gun stores will not longer be 'just' gun stores. You go into the store to order a 3D Printed bicycle along with your 3D Printed lower. Whatever. It'll be like the days of old cameras when you brought film in to be developed.

Of course, New York will outlaw 3D Printers. Case pending in the New York State Supreme Court when this all comes about. But you won't have these problems in Montana....and who in their right mind wants to live in New York anymore? Rhetorical statement. There isn't a right mind left on the streets of New York save but the Stock Market gurus.

The real trick is 3D Printing ammo cartridge parts and the like. Since the Feinstein Sisters have discovered they can't stop the guns....they are trying everything they know how to stop the flow of ammo.

There will be more 'individual' ammo supply dealers in the future. Probably mostly from Eastern European countries like Bulgaria and Romania.

Now. Onto the Metal Storm technology where the gun of the future will have no moving parts and no shell casings needed.

All this will eventually come around. Adversity is the Mother of Invention.

That....or you will learn to perish with grace at the hands of the criminal element. Quit crying if you don't get with the show.
edit on 30-3-2013 by coltcall because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   
What's the deal when it comes to copyright regarding 3D printing items ?
2nd

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sayzaar

There isn't anything that hasn't been counterfeited or replicated on the international black market. Everything from Gucci handbags to pirated DVDs to the Mercedes Benz.

Isn't anything that can't be reverse engineered with minor adjustments.

I mean, not like the black market worries a lot about the legalities of a counterfeit product.

There are hundreds of millions of Kalashnikovs in the world. At least half of them are counterfeit. But they all work as well as the original. That's the beauty of the Kalashnikov.

Same is what is happening with the AR. Everyone's making them. Just change the color of the stock or alter the sight or change the safety or something. Guns have been replicating themselves with minor variations since way before Samuel Colt.

And don't put the name 'Colt' or 'Smith and Wesson' on the counterfeit Kalashnikov or AR or one of the many 1911s being manufactured by loads of gunsmiths.

Besides. You just want a reliable weapon that would stop a criminal from coming into your house. That's about your only real concern. That when you pull the trigger, it goes bang bang bang.

join