It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Senate Approves Proposed Internet Sales Tax

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

Wait, our government is going to collapse without an internet sales tax? What about all those years the government has ran while the internet hasn't had a sales tax? We do not need more taxes. What we need is for the government to get its spending under control and break up some of these corporate monopolies that are destroying the small business sector.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Krazysh0t
reply to post by rickymouse

Wait, our government is going to collapse without an internet sales tax? What about all those years the government has ran while the internet hasn't had a sales tax? We do not need more taxes. What we need is for the government to get its spending under control and break up some of these corporate monopolies that are destroying the small business sector.

It is unfair to have the local businesses pay taxes and the internet sales not to pay taxes. That gives the internet sellers an advantage over local business. This means that the ones with the less expenses have an advantage over the guy who tries to start a local business. This is bad for the local economy of an area.

It takes money to plow our roads and run our judicial system. It takes money to run our schools. I don't think the feds are as necessary as the states and the state income taxes are what I think is necessary. Most states are a lot more efficient than the Feds, a few waste a lot of money but most have fair taxes. Michigan cut their taxes in the past but went too far, crippling the state.

I'm against taxing small businesses except on the money that actually goes to the owner. Money that is reinvested goes back into the company and it stimulates the economy the right way. The Big corporations are destroying the manufacturing jobs by exporting the manufacturing. This is bad for the country. We cannot support the government without homegrown jobs. The USA has been compromised. Don't complain about feeding the people that are not working because of this scam, bring the jobs back and bitch at the ones that destroyed our factories. The government is deceiving us, they include rent in the GNP implying it is a part of manufacturing. They include home building as part of industrial GNP when it is a service oriented job, not a manufactured product. They have been twisting the figures to show we are in better shape for years. Hiding a mistake does not fix a mistake, belief in a lie does not make it truth.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Why would anyone agree to this? It's a form of double tax. A business selling 1 million in merchandise over the internet already has a tax ID as a business and IS paying taxes. So you want the company to pay double tax and raise your costs as the consumer??

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Small businesses absolutely need some protections against these giant businesses. They are already not competing in a level playing field. I for one always go and support a local business if they have what I want.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

So the answer to this problem is to pass ANOTHER expense onto the consumer? At what point is there enough gouging? I mean just because it is done locally, it MUST be implemented nationally right? What about passing laws that break up these large corporations so that they cannot corner the market, dictate economic policy, and most importantly are too big to fail?

I'm sure that if the government were to blow the dust off of its anti-trust laws, update them, and start using them again we could fix many of the economic problems that are strangling our country. But no, the government only thinks about money. Its almost like a flowchart. Is there a problem? Throw money at it. Do we have enough money? If no, tax the populous. If yes, tax them anyways. Contrary to what the government does and says, taxing and throwing money at a problem doesn't fix everything. We need to implement real solutions to our problems.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Just have your web site in Switzerland!

the internet is a world thing.
like light and air.
you Can not Tax it. unless you are a dictator.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Small businesses absolutely need some protections against these giant businesses. They are already not competing in a level playing field. I for one always go and support a local business if they have what I want.

Really? Last week I wanted a computer cable. Called a few local businesses. 2 were closed on Saturday, 2 didn't have it in stock and the one that did wanted $9 more for it than Amazon with free 2 day shipping.

Do I really want to drive 12 miles AND spend $9 more? No. Small businesses are lazy and don't get it. How many of them have websites? How many ship? Very few. Most open at 9am on Monday and close at 5pm when people get out of work and can actually stop and buy something. Most are closed on the weekends when people are off and shop.

If the product wasn't made in the state then it shouldn't be taxed. That would create a lot of jobs. And as far as states needing money for roads, schools etc... Don't you pay property taxes? Gas Taxes? Personal property taxes? Taxes paid on goods bought in state? Give me a break.... Let them stop wasting money and get on a budget...
edit on 25-3-2013 by SSFlorida because: Spelling

edit on 25-3-2013 by SSFlorida because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Never let a crisis go to waste.

While everyone is focused on Boston, now is the perfect time to slip through yet another tax to pick what little is left in our pockets.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 11:24 PM
link   
They are going to effectively put many business so far under the paperwork tax collecting burden they will shut the door. When you order on line you pay shipping and when this thing is signed into law you will pay tax also. I heard tonight that a business would have to track almost 9000 different tax rates....Dunno if that was true but if so then good bye Internet shopping for the most part.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by CIAGypsy

I think everything sold new retail on the internet should be taxed. The states need money to run. If it is not a sales tax it is a hidden tax or use tax that will fund them. I hate hidden taxes.
I pay taxes on my earnings. Why should I pay taxes on my spending as well?
Is that not double taxation?

edit on 4/22/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian

Originally posted by rickymouse
reply to post by CIAGypsy

I think everything sold new retail on the internet should be taxed. The states need money to run. If it is not a sales tax it is a hidden tax or use tax that will fund them. I hate hidden taxes.
I pay taxes on my earnings. Why should I pay taxes on my spending as well?
Is that not double taxation?

edit on 4/22/2013 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

Then to level the field it would be necessary to remove all state taxes on the retail level to make it fair. Sales tax is important to run our states. If we get rid of sales tax we need to increase state income tax or the state will suffer. The governmental system will get the money they need to operate one way or another. We benefit from these taxes more than most people realize. Cutting the government spending for wasteful things or to line the pockets of fat cats is what needs to be addressed. Most states are more efficient than the Federal government today. I'm all for supporting these frivolous states. This is the United States, each state should be somewhat individualized with their own rights. I am more for strong and rational state government than a overpowerful federal government. There are only three main things the Feds should be concentrating on. Military to protect the USA, Moderate food safety regulations, and Environmental monitoring and enforcement. People cannot be allowed to destroy the ability of the future environment of the world. I think Environmental concerns should be worldwide myself. I am all for an environmental czar to control business pollution worldwide.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join