It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Weider, Founder of a Bodybuilding Empire, Dies at 93

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Joe Weider, Founder of a Bodybuilding Empire, Dies at 93

www.nytimes.com

Joe Weider, a scrawny kid who sculpted himself with bodybuilding during the Great Depression and created an empire of muscle magazines, fitness equipment, doubtful dietary supplements and Olympic-style contests featuring Arnold Schwarzenegger, died on Saturday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. He was 93. The cause was heart failure, said Charlotte Parker, his longtime publicist.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Like him or hate him, he made Arnold Schwarzenegger and the bodybuilding subculture household names and got me started in bodybuilding since my teenage years. I'll be lifting weights until the day I die (or try) and Weider's magazines and books (which I have many of) will continue to be a great source of information and inspiration. Sure all the stars used anabolics but so do most in almost every sport as well.

R.I.P. Joe!

www.nytimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I was recently wondering, what became of Jack LaLanne, another fitness guru from the '50's.
edit on 24-3-2013 by Eedjee because: x

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Eedjee

Lalanne lived to 97. He led an incredible life and was also an early advocate for the bodybuilding lifestyle. I think both Lalanne and Wieder were evidence of what proper nutrition and strength training can do for your longevity and health.

I remember it was one of those Charles Atlas guides that led me to Lalanne and Wieder, and spent most of my years in the military absorbed in Wieder's mags and the gym.

I was glad to see M&F eventually become more of an overall heath magazine and not strictly hardcore bodybuilding - my one complaint about the magazine had been it's lack of acknowledgement of rampant steroid use in the sport.

new topics

top topics

join