It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deaths Caused by Smoking, Salt and Sugary Beverages

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 04:11 PM
link   
This explains a few things:

garytaubes.com...

Oh, and one thing to keep in mind... when you cut back on salt, you also cut back on iodine (because the salt is iodized). Salt, for most in the US, is the biggest source of iodine.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by davjan4

I looked at your link.

Let me make it even easier

fightantismokertyranny.blogspot.ca...

Lets get right down to the important part.

When you claim that something CAUSES lung cancer, the incidence of lung cancer should DECREASE when you remove the thing that you believe is causing the disease. If it doesn't, then you were WRONG in the first place!

The incidence of lung cancer HAS NOT decreased despite the decrease in the incidence of smoking.

cfrankdavis.wordpress.com...

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dean007

Dean007

The idea that health fanatism is becoming a religion is very astute.

Public Health promises that if you donate money to the cause, they will tell you how to live and in return, they promise you that you will live longer!

Exactly like religion! Its adherents must obey in exchange for longer life on earth.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
maybe i was wrong not a religion maybe more of a cult
i don't understand why they need everyone on there team
like if im eating a cheese burger how am i affecting anyone but myself why do i need to be a vegan or a non smoker for them

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by dean007
maybe i was wrong not a religion maybe more of a cult
i don't understand why they need everyone on there team
like if im eating a cheese burger how am i affecting anyone but myself why do i need to be a vegan or a non smoker for them

1)Your behaviour influences the behaviours of other people. If many people think similarly and eat lots of burgers, there would be lots of obesity (I am not implying you are obese, simply the results of such long-term diet for most people). The more obesity is in the society, the more "normal" it becomes. And it even worsens the problem. If all your friends tend to be obese, you are often influenced by them and that might lead to getting similar eating/drinking habits which can lead to obesity. I would not like my kid to be in a class, where everybody are living unhealthily as there is a high probability he will be influenced by them.

2) I doubt you always smoke so that nobody else has that option to breathe it in, even if they did not want to.

I am also smoke, although overally I am anti-smoker. Just can not get over the habit. Although I personally always smoke in places, where nobody can breathe it in. I hate when people in the streets smoke without considering that people have to breathe in it.

On one case, of course it is your right to smoke wherever you want to. Although on the hand everybody also has the right to breathe fresh air. So who is more right?

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Fresh air ?!

What's that ?

If you want some "fresh air" you're going to have to travel into the far deep corners of the planet thousands upon thousands of miles away from civilization to actually find any of that rare stuff.

As a side note:

"Eat, drink, and be merry"
Amazing how such a simple quote can get right to the heart of the matter...

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
reply to post by Cabin

Fresh air ?!

What's that ?

If you want some "fresh air" you're going to have to travel into the far deep corners of the planet thousands upon thousands of miles away from civilization to actually find any of that rare stuff.

As a side note:

"Eat, drink, and be merry"
Amazing how such a simple quote can get right to the heart of the matter...

I live in a place, where the air is not yet polluted
And not thousand of miles away from civilization, one of the strongest IT countries in the world, if not the strongest

edit on 24-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I like to think so too (where I live).

But just because we can't see the pollutants (ie: smog) doesn't mean it's not there. We're poisoning ourselves to death and turn a blind eye to it.

Hell, they're even finding traces of nasty toxicities in Antarctica these days.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
reply to post by Cabin

I like to think so too (where I live).

But just because we can't see the pollutants (ie: smog) doesn't mean it's not there. We're poisoning ourselves to death and turn a blind eye to it.

Hell, they're even finding traces of nasty toxicities in Antarctica these days.

I understand your point.

As I have travelled much in Europe, also lived in States, then I can say that the air quality here is simply from another league
500k city with free public transport, buses come around every 10 minutes, bus stop every 200. meters. Around 100 different lines on buses. It lessens the traffic a lot. In the centre of the city and highly populated areas there is much traffic, also still the air is much better than in any other European bigger city I have been to or USA. I have been to basically every European capital and 14 states in USA. Never been to Asia though, except Turkey,Istanbul. From Africa only Egypt, Cairo. Compared to these areas air is better in my opinion and walking past smoking people disturbs a lot.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

Using their logic. I'll predict breathing for long extended periods of time, years and years of breathing, will produce 100% fatality rates for all humans.

We must ban breathing....it's harmful to everyone.....

You think?

I think you're wrong.

I think the cause of death is blinking. But hey... everyone is entitled to their own opinion. You're wrong tho.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Cabin

In your opinion, how extreme does an anti-smokers "right' To clean air go?

Are we talking amounts of smoke so low that it is measured in parts per billion or parts per trillion or are we talking just visible smoke

On what basis do you think the right to clean air exists?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by Cabin

Cabin

In your opinion, how extreme does an anti-smokers "right' To clean air go?

Are we talking amounts of smoke so low that it is measured in parts per billion or parts per trillion or are we talking just visible smoke

On what basis do you think the right to clean air exists?

Tired of Control Freaks

At least for me, I do not mind as long as I can not smell cigarettes
So probably the smoker should be standing around 5-10 meters away depending on the wind

It is funny. I am a smoker myself, although I hate the smell of cigarettes and am against smoking. Need to quit soon.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
So, does that mean that I can start smoking again? I want to see the study done about smokers "that died from smoking" and I would enjoy seeing what their sodium intake was.

I can live without salt, I enjoyed smoking.

I agree with Des, living is generally the biggest cause of dying.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TiredofControlFreaks

I totally believe that - and that is one of the reasons I switched to natural rock salt (used sparingly), and avoid all forms of high fructose corn syrup, and do not smoke. I already have enough health problems against me as it is. I was so thankful to find out about the table salt being so bad and toxic because of how it is processed, etc. I was getting such bad water retention and problems every day with a distended abdomen from the salt alone. It can still happen if I eat something prepared that is already salted, but I try to limit that as much as I can. When I made the switch to natural salts, such as grey, or pink, salts from Europe, or the Himalayas, it really made a HUGE difference in my health and my belly, what a relief. I suggest it to people whenever the topic comes up. Lemon and vinegar for flavor along with other spices are also good subs for salt, and I sub things like Xylitol or Stevia and other such natural sweeteners for sugar whenever possible. I have a family member who is young but got hooked on smoking, so I got them to go with the electronic cigs, better than the other, for sure.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by saintinwaiting

-Sintinwaiting

Salt is sodium chloride. It is sodium chloride whether it is natural, pink, white, grey.

It is all sodium chloride.

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

Cabin

So smokers are being health care, jobs and places to live because people like you can't stand a little smell?

All I can say....

I remain...

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Lets put the anti breathing laws and anti guns laws together and maybe one can help the other get past legistlation

edit on 24-3-2013 by putnamcrab because: just maybe I am illiterate

edit on 24-3-2013 by putnamcrab because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Life is a terminal illness acquired at birth

...enjoy it while you can

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:04 AM
link   
These scientists care about the money they receive from companies. There are no moral boundaries for them. This is because the secular education system teaches them.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
Since the exact same modelling was used to calculate tobacco deaths, if you don't believe the theoretical deaths associated with salt and sugar, how can you possibly believe tobacco deaths.

I wonder how long it will be before they stop using the words "linked to", "associated with" in relation to salt and sugar and these deaths become "actual" deaths CAUSED by salt and sugar?

Hard to win law suits against corporations unless you can use the word "CAUSED"

Tired of Control Freaks

Because you cannot say "causes" unless it is beyond dispute. For example, it's undisputed that cigarettes turn lungs black and destroy the tissue. It has been seen and can be directly correlated (cause/effect). You can't use the word cause in a study without concrete evidence. You can say relationship/associated only when statistical values show there is a strong probability. It means more studies will be done because they are onto something and the math doesn't lie. Having said that - would be interesting to see the variables, control groups, and how strong the data is. We know if they use those words it has to be a significant likelihood but would like to see how strong that "significant" is. Also, this would need to be a longitudinal study on humans, (which I doubt they used). On mice....how much sugar/salt did they give them. Anything can kill you if too much. I eat a ton of salt and have low blood pressure. I crave the stuff because my body clearly needs it. Blood tests show my sodium is low too.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join