It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gallbladder Removal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
So I am having mine removed on Monday which should actually be pretty easy since they are doing it laproscopically

Anyone gone through this before? I expect to be out of work maybe 3-5 days but since my job consists of sitting in front of a few monitors it should be easy.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Did you get a second opinion? I had a doc that was financially tied to a hospital and recommended the removal. There are certain states that have more removals than others. They base it on obesity for the most part. I wouldn't part with any part of my body without a second opinion. My doctor told me the other doctor was out of his mind for recommending surgery. Don't fall prey.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA
So I am having mine removed on Monday which should actually be pretty easy since they are doing it laproscopically

Anyone gone through this before? I expect to be out of work maybe 3-5 days but since my job consists of sitting in front of a few monitors it should be easy.

Last year a Doctor recommended that my gallbladder be removed; I had just one gallstone the size of a pea; but I would eat certain foods...and then have a gallbladder attack; I went to another Doctor and got a second opinion; he told me to change my eating habits and not get the surgery; sooooooo....I did change my eating habits and the pain stopped and I still have my gallbladder; I just had to learn which foods I could still eat and which foods to avoid.

I am curious...what have been your symptoms?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I had mine removed last year laproscopically as well. I was having very bad pains that felt like my lungs were being dipped in acid. I could have changed my diet, but, I didn't want to and I don't mind the 4 small scars. My stones were very small as well.

Edit: It also got me out of a seatbelt ticket! I explained that I had a sick wife and I had to drive to the store to get some food for the kids and that I couldn't wear my seatbelt because of the incisions!
edit on 23-3-2013 by superman2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Two separate doctors suggested surgery plus follow up with another doctor I am friends with at the hospital where I work.

I have the traditional symptoms that are associated with gallstones.

I could certainly try and change my diet to see if that helped but both Doctors, neither the surgeon doing the procedure, felt that with the location of the stones as per the ultrasounds that this was the right move.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

You need to be careful with gallbadders as, if you have small stones they can migrate and block the duct to the pancreas as well, so you end up with pancreatitis (which can kill you), as there is an anatomical union of the ducts.

I speak from painful experience.

Whether you decide to go ahead with the surgery or not you will still have to change your diet.
Again I speak from experience. I had to have mine removed, and forever more have to be very careful about what I eat.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

My youngest daughter (age 22) just had hers removed last month. The surgery was done laproscopically, and even though surgery was only a month ago the small scars are already hardly visible. In her case her gallbladder ceased to function and every thing that she consumed came back up immediately. She was already very, very thin and due to not being able to keep anything down (even with medication to prevent it) she lost so much weight as to be very dangerous. She had immediate improvement after the surgery and is back to her normal weight and is very healthy.

A word of advice though: if after the surgery you consume greasy or spicy food I advise you to sit near a restroom as certain foods will "process" much more rapidly than before!

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Had my gallbladder removed in 2008 and that was just the beginning of my problems. If highly recommend you do all the following -

Change your diet - cut out meat/wheat/diary as much as you can for the first few weeks after your surgery at least. I maintained eating a vegetarian diet and am way happier for it. I also try to keep my wheat and diary intake as low as possible. I drink almond milk and only have goats yogurt occasionally. cut out junk food completely! nothing deep fried, overly cheesy, burgers etc. this is all bad news! nothing high in sugar, no soda, etc.

Herbal Remedies - Turmeric and Milk Thistle are both great for systems with no gall bladders. I take a tincture daily, find a local herbalist in your area that makes these. Also, do your own research into herbs that are "bile produces" since you now lack that, you need to make up for it. We can longer digest foods properly but more importantly extract the full nutrients, vitamins and minerals out of foods with no bile to help so herbs like Milk Thistle, Dandelion, etc can help with this.

Stay away from acid forming foods - get a chart on Acid/Alkaline foods and eat within the guidelines. If you are a coffee drink you will want to eliminate it for awhile, this goes for red meats as well as foods with lots of sugar.

I would also recommend seeing a naturopath. I had nothing but troubles until I ditched the doctors and went to see a naturopath. they changed my life for the better! dont get caught up taking prescription drugs for your issues, your gut flora is in question now, you want to build it back up. look into fermented foods like sauerkraut or miso soup to help. goat yogurt is a great way to get more probiotics into your system.

Good luck!

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Thanks for all the feedback folks..

Had the procedure done yesterday, they were able to do it laproscopiclaly which is better than then midnight meat train approach.

It has not been that bad so far but I have been up all night dealing with a gas bubble that has moved. Basically they pump gas in you t make it easier for the surgeon to see.

I had ACL reconstruction from a hockey injury two years ago and this seems worse because it involves your core. So i cant breath or really laydown without feeling it.

Next on board..eating lifestyle change.

new topics

top topics

join