Jesus in Genesis: The Gospel in the genealogies of Adam.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I had a conversation about this on Facebook last week - and for some of the people in that conversation, it was completely new information, and quite the revelation - so I thought I'd share it here too.

Many of us in the Christian community know Chuck Missler's teaching well, but this is, I think, one of the most revelatory. It shows us, in no uncertain terms, that Jesus Christ was no afterthought, but was present and planned from the very beginnings of Genesis.

What we find in Genesis 5 is that the names listed in the genealogy there provide a perfect overview of the gospel.

I'll quote, just to whet your appetite. The full link is below.

in Genesis chapter 5... we have the genealogy of Adam through Noah. This is one of those chapters which we often tend to skim over quickly as we pass through. But God always rewards the diligent student. Let's examine this chapter more closely.

In our Bible, we read the Hebrew names. What do these names mean in English?

A Study of Original Roots

The meaning of proper names can be difficult in some cases since a direct translation is often not readily available. A study of the original roots, however, can yield some fascinating insights.

(A caveat: many study aids can prove rather superficial, however; and any inferences are certainly not free of controversy.)

Let's take one of them as an example.

The Flood Judgement

Methuselah comes from Muth, a root that means "death"; and from shalak, which means "to bring." The name Methuselah means, "his death shall bring." [1]

Methuselah's father was given a prophecy of the coming Great Flood, and was apparently told that as long as his son was alive, the judgement of the flood would be withheld. (Can you imagine raising a kid like that? Every time the boy caught a cold, they must have panicked!) The year that Methuselah died, the flood came. It is interesting that Methuselah's life, in effect, was a symbol of God's grace in forestalling the coming judgement of the flood. It is, therefore, fitting that his lifetime is the oldest in the Bible, speaking of the extensiveness of God's grace.
The Other Names

If there is such significance in Methuselah's name, let's examine the other names to see what may lie behind them.

Adam

Adam's name means "man." As the first Man, that seems straightforward enough.

Seth

Adam's son was named Seth, which means "appointed." Eve said, "For God hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew." [2]

Enosh

Seth's son was called Enosh, which means "mortal," "frail," or "miserable." It is from the root anash, to be incurable, used of a wound, grief, woe, sickness, or wickedness. It was in the days of Enosh that men began to defile the name of the Living God.[3]

Kenan

Enosh's son was named Kenan, which can mean "sorrow," or "wandering nomad." (The precise denotation is somewhat elusive; some study aids even assume that Kenan is synonymous with "Cainan."

Balaam, looking down from the heights of Moab, puns upon the name of the Kenites when he prophecizes their destruction.[4]

We have no real idea as to why these names were chosen for the children. Often they may have referred to circumstances at birth, etc.

Mahalalel

Kenan's son was Mahalalel, which means "the Blessed God." Often Hebrew names include El, one of the many names of God, as Daniel, "God is my Judge," etc.

Jared

Mahalalel's son was named Jared, from a verb yaradh, meaning "shall come down." (Some authorities also tie this to the "Sons of God" corrupting the daughters of men, resulting in the Nephilim of Genesis 6.)

Enoch

Jared's son was Enoch, which means "teaching." He was the first of four generations of preachers. In fact, the earliest recorded prophecy was by Enoch, and which, amazingly enough, dealt with the Second Coming of Christ, (although it is quoted in the Book of Jude in the New Testament):

"And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints, To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him."
Jude 1:14-15

Methuselah

Enoch was the father of Methuselah, who we have already mentioned. Enoch walked with God after he begat Methuselah. [5] Apparently, Enoch received the prophecy of the Great Flood, and was told that as long as his son was alive, the flood would be withheld. The year that Methuselah died, the flood came.

Enoch, of course, never died; he was translated. [6] (If you'll excuse the expression, "raptured.") That's how Methuselah can be the oldest man in the Bible, yet he died "before" his father!

Lamech

Methuselah's son was named Lamech, which means "despairing." This same root also seems to lie behind our English word lamentation. (While a similar root can mean "strength." this name is linked, through traditional Jewish sources, with the Lamech in Cain's line, who inadvertently killed his son Tubal-Cain in a hunting incident. [7]

Noah

Lamech, of course, is the father of Noah, which is linked with nacham, "to bring relief" or "comfort." This is highlighted in Genesis 5:29.

Now let's put it all together:

Hebrew = English
Adam = Man
Seth = Appointed
Enosh = Mortal
Kenan = Sorrow
Mahalalel = The Blessed God
Jared = Shall come down
Enoch = Teaching
Methuselah = His death shall bring
Lamech = The Despairing
Noah = Comfort (or Rest)

That's rather remarkable:

Man (is) appointed mortal sorrow; (but) the Blessed God shall come down teaching (that) His death shall bring (the) despairing rest."

Here is the "gospel" hidden within a geneaology in Genesis! (It is hard to imagine Jewish rabbis "conspiring" to place the "Christian Gospel" right here in their venerated Torah!)

The Bible is an integrated message system, the product of supernatural engineering. Every number, every place name, every detail every jot and tittle is there for our learning, our discovery, and our amazement. Truly, our God is an awesome God!

For the full rundown, head over here: www.joshuanet.org...

...it's certainly worth the read!

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Fascinating....no one ever pointed out that the Bible and Torah are based off of Egyptian religions? The names in the bible are altered to make it stand out further from being egyptian.

King solomon = Amenhotep III

The names mean absolutely nothing in the bible.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Knives4eyes
reply to post by Awen24

Fascinating....no one ever pointed out that the Bible and Torah are based off of Egyptian religions? The names in the bible are altered to make it stand out further from being egyptian.

King solomon = Amenhotep III

The names mean absolutely nothing in the bible.

Let's assume that you're correct. You're not, but let's run with it anyway.
Even still, you run into the issue that no self-respecting group of Jewish rabbis (if you're claiming that they're the ones who manufactured the text) is going to embed the story of Jesus Christ's death in the opening chapters of Genesis.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Awen, I have read several of Dr. Missler's books, but this genealogy thing really bewilders me every time I see it! It's amazing how so many things throughout the Bible point to Jesus' birth, death, and resurrection. Have you read about the 70 weeks prophecy in Daniel? Chuck demonstrates in one (or two) of his books how it predicts Jesus' entrance to Jerusalem as the King of the Jews. THAT is fascinating.

Glad to hear someone else on these boards interested in studying this stuff!

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

When Jesus was cruxified he yells out and the veil of the church is torn asunder....

This will be significant in the future, when dimensional travel is revealed (perhaps very late in your life or in your childrens lives) you'll see how religion was orchestrated by the greatest wizards of oz, a trio of tricksters. Surprisingly enough in the new oz movie they simply go with the lie.....what I assume the majority will do regardless.

Well since you believe the bible as infallible and that the names have not been altered, I suppose there's no point in pointing out that Jesus murdered 3 people and really was a captial A hole to people. Matthew 15.27 , jesus is a jerk

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   

reply to post by Awen24

When Jesus was cruxified he yells out and the veil of the church is torn asunder....

This will be significant in the future, when dimensional travel is revealed (perhaps very late in your life or in your childrens lives) you'll see how religion was orchestrated by the greatest wizards of oz, a trio of tricksters. Surprisingly enough in the new oz movie they simply go with the lie.....what I assume the majority will do regardless.

Well since you believe the bible as infallible and that the names have not been altered, I suppose there's no point in pointing out that Jesus murdered 3 people and really was a captial A hole to people. Matthew 15.27 , jesus is a jerk

Who were these 3 people?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Soulece

1 child who pushed or punched jesus
1 child who splashed water into the dirt drawings jesus was making
1 teacher that his uncle made him resurrect

Interestingly enough this is included or rather hasn't been edited out of the Koran. The bible and Torah have been altered because of a half jew pharoah named amenhotep IV or akenatun.

Otherwise known as Moses...which isn't even a name that fits with the other names...seriously moses is an egyptian name.
edit on 23-3-2013 by Knives4eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   

reply to post by Awen24

Names altered??

That's an absurd notion. The Septuagint records the same names and was completed three centuries before Jesus was born. So you're saying Jewish rabbis conspired to encode the Christian gospel into a genealogy in their venerated Torah three centuries before Jesus or Christianity even existed??

Yeah,.. okay.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:56 PM
link   

reply to post by Soulece

1 child who pushed or punched jesus
1 child who splashed water into the dirt drawings jesus was making
1 teacher that his uncle made him resurrect

Interestingly enough this is included or rather hasn't been edited out of the Koran. The bible and Torah have been altered because of a half jew pharoah named amenhotep IV or akenatun.

Otherwise known as Moses...which isn't even a name that fits with the other names...seriously moses is an egyptian name.

Actually "Moses" is a Latinized rendering of the Hebrew name "Moshe".

Have you ever heard of the "Dead Sea Scrolls"?

Do you know when they date to???

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:03 AM
link   

reply to post by Awen24

Why not show the very next verse after Matthew 15:27?

Matthew 15:28(KJV)
28 Then Jesus answered and said unto her, O woman, great is thy faith: be it unto thee even as thou wilt. And her daughter was made whole from that very hour.

Jesus wanted that woman to openly profess her faith. And, that is exactly what she did when she said what she said in Matthew 15:27.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Awesome link, Always thought that when the Lord visited Moses and Moses order tents to be set up to give cover and shade for the Lord, that was Jesus!

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

What Chuck Misler presents is only proof that the Hebrew priests in captivity in Babylon edited their books containing underlying man made mysteries, its spurious. He is on the wrong track. The Noah's was an adoption and expanded to make out they are the chosen race but how is that possible when God is no respecter of persons.

More of the same stuff that is faulty in truth.

(874.8) 78:7.3 Almost five thousand years later, as the Hebrew priests in Babylonian captivity sought to trace the Jewish people back to Adam, they found great difficulty in piecing the story together; and it occurred to one of them to abandon the effort, to let the whole world drown in its wickedness at the time of Noah’s flood, and thus to be in a better position to trace Abraham right back to one of the three surviving sons of Noah.

www.urantia.org...-jump-result-0

They even have the guts nor the honesty to read this book, the harbinger of the spiritual tribulation this planet is about to face upon the spiritual. Gutless wonders

Instead they fill people up with faulty information for a price.

noahs home
www.dalamatiacity.com...
edit on 24-3-2013 by sevens8 because: (no reason given)
edit on 24-3-2013 by sevens8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

Many of us in the Christian community know Chuck Missler's teaching well . . .
Well informed Christians, and people who do not have a love for getting sucked into cults, know him as a great fraud who wants attention and gets it through making sensational claims that under any sort of scrutiny don't hold up.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jmdewey60
reply to post by Awen24

Well informed Christians, and people who do not have a love for getting sucked into cults, know him as a great fraud who wants attention and gets it through making sensational claims that under any sort of scrutiny don't hold up.

The Hebrew root word definitions are taken from Strong's and Blue Letter Bible. Those are popular and widely used resources.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:07 AM
link   

reply to post by Awen24

I'm all for criticism - it's both important and necessary, particularly in this day and age....
but if you're going to criticize someone who teaches out of Scripture, you'd best do so on the basis of Scripture. So, unless you're able to point out somewhere that Chuck Missler's teaching diverges from Scripturally sound, Bible-based teaching... you're barking up the wrong tree.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

. . . unless you're able to point out somewhere that Chuck Missler's teaching diverges from Scripturally sound, Bible-based teaching...
My saying "does not hold up to scrutiny" means what you put as "unsound".
Maybe you think that making statements that include tiny snippets of scripture taken our of context and strung together is somehow 'biblical', but I think it is the opposite of being biblically sound, and only makes a mockery of the Bible.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   

reply to post by Awen24

. . . unless you're able to point out somewhere that Chuck Missler's teaching diverges from Scripturally sound, Bible-based teaching...
My saying "does not hold up to scrutiny" means what you put as "unsound".
Maybe you think that making statements that include tiny snippets of scripture taken our of context and strung together is somehow 'biblical', but I think it is the opposite of being biblically sound, and only makes a mockery of the Bible.

To which you never give examples of.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I can't recall anything he ever said that was right, so there is no sense giving an example of what he said that was wrong.
Just pick at random anything he says, and then you have an example.
edit on 24-3-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

reply to post by NOTurTypical

I can't recall anything he ever said that was right, so there is no sense giving an example of what he said that was wrong.
Just pick at random anything he says, and then you have an example.
edit on 24-3-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

I can't recall you ever showing how something he said was wrong in any systematic manner.

And I never put faith in someone's arbitrary ad hom attacks or their appeals to authority.

Unless you have specifics your claims are wholly unsubstantiated and because of which,.. irrelevant.
edit on 24-3-2013 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

I'm sorry I don't mean to be vauge or disrespectful but, the bible is so interpretive/metaphorical, its hard to know where one begins and the other ends, people base their whole way of life around religions and to what avail? peace of mind? If it is a way of life or a guide to live by it shouldn't be up for interpretation, not when it has comandments and sins to content with. Personally i feel religion itself is out of date, I think thats why there has been an influx of "new age thinking" in the past few decades, i digress, but I just hate seeing people led astray. Each to their own, no disrespect intended.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join