It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can we understand a message from ET?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   
This is a fun thread.

I thank all for the input.

But how could we understand the message from E.T.?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by d8track
This is a fun thread.

I thank all for the input.

But how could we understand the message from E.T.?
I was thinking about this. It comes down to communication. A communication involves a sender and a receiver. The sent message could be intentional or not. I'm assuming that we are talking about an intentional message. So we use sound to communicate. We have learned to encode our language into writing but when we read, we "hear" the words in our minds. So written words are symbolic sounds.

ET may have a completely different way to communicate. Maybe they communicate like ants or bees using chemicals. Where would we even start in a case like that? So we look for patterns that are familiar to "us" and that seems illogical.

Now the aliens are probably super intelligent and if they are aware of us, they would try to communicate with us with what we are familiar with. Sounds. Now if they are really good, they would have learned English and are driveling away on the Internet as we speak.

Maybe we are already talking to ET but arent aware...So the question is how do we know who the aliens are here?

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ZetaRediculian

Sound is a great way to talk. I like to talk that way.

Just having fun.

Sound is a good way to send a complex message. Just look at music...So much meaning in just notes. I love it...

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by d8track

Sound is a great way to talk. I like to talk that way.

Just having fun.

Sound is a good way to send a complex message. Just look at music...So much meaning in just notes. I love it...

The messages sent by ants and bees is a chemical communication. It could be converted to a sound message. We would have to look at life here to understand .

posted on May, 22 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Communication would be a important factor if E.T was trying to talk to us directly. But if we just picked up a signal they sent to someone else the form of communication could be very different. You mention ants and bees using chemicals for communication. The more we study these creatures on earth the more we learn how much we do not know. Bees may have another way to communicate.

The electric fields that build up on honey bees as they fly, flutter their wings, or rub body parts together may allow the insects to talk to each other, a new study suggests. Tests show that the electric fields, which can be quite strong, deflect the bees' antennae, which, in turn, provide signals to the brain through specialized organs at their bases

Bees Buzz Each Other, but Not the Way You Think

posted on May, 24 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Great read star and flagged.

I'd like to know if we built a radio telescope based on the message design?

posted on May, 29 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Baldric

Yes. yes we have. We made scopes that can see everything. Okay not everything. Not much on this subject.

posted on May, 30 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by d8track

I know there's plenty about the crops themselves and explanations to what the differences are. I'd like to point out at this stage, i know zero about how to built or whats required to build a radio telescope or the designs and meanings in the crops themselves.
But endless searching hasn't revealed if anyone has tried to build a telescope based on the design given in the crop design.

posted on Jul, 4 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I found this interesting.

SETI Evolution: Searching for Aliens Using Whale Songs and Radios

When pondering SETI efforts, one must consider what very advanced civilizations might be doing. One can hardly, therefore, avoid the latest in information transfer — quantum teleportation. So far, research in quantum optics laboratories has shown that information can (it appears) be instantaneously teleported over arbitrary distances. But it should perhaps be said, more precisely, that "quantum information" can be instantaneously teleported arbitrarily far away, because one must then use a kind of "key" to unlock the information. And the key cannot be transmitted faster than the speed of light. Nevertheless, one wonders if the first SETI message is going to come from space, or appear in one of our quantum computers. The search for extraterrestrial intelligence is a fascinating field and encompasses the whole gamut of disciplines, from astrophysics to animal communications, and from paleontology to quantum mechanics. At present, it is symbolized by a radio telescope, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.

It is interesting to think that if a message was sent by quantum teleportation than the upcoming quantum computer might pick it up. It would eliminate the light speed time lag.
edit on 4-7-2013 by d8track because: link corrected

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join