It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yosemite's Firefall

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
So i did a search and didn't see a thread on this. I saw this perusing the internet and thought i would share since i'm on a thread binge lately.

Yosemitefirefall.com

Each year in February, the setting sun illuminates Horsetail Fall in Yosemite Valley. When conditions are just right, the waterfall glows orange and red, creating one of nature’s most amazing spectacles: The Firefall.

Apparently they made a ritual out of it for almost 100 years.

From 1872 to 1968, however, Yosemite was famous for a different Firefall—this one manmade. For nearly 100 years, a pile of glowing embers was pushed over the edge of Glacier Point each evening in the summer, creating a glittering “waterfall of fire” that tumbled thousands of feet through the air.

The youtube video pretty much gives a little history on the waterfall. They show some pictures and videos of it.

This waterfall is apart of the El Capitan rock formation in Yosemite.

El Capitan is a vertical rock formation in Yosemite National Park, located on the north side of Yosemite Valley, near its western end. The granite monolith extends about 3,000 feet (900 m) from base to summit along its tallest face, and is one of the world's favorite challenges for rock climbers.

The formation was named "El Capitan" by the Mariposa Battalion when it explored the valley in 1851. El Capitán ("the captain", "the chief") was taken to be a loose Spanish translation of the local Native American name for the cliff, variously transcribed as "To-to-kon oo-lah" or "To-tock-ah-noo-lah". It is unclear if the Native American name referred to a specific Tribal chief, or simply meant "the chief" or "rock chief".[2] In modern times, the formation's name is often contracted to "El Cap", especially among rock climbers.

Pretty amazing stuff. Nature is art. I would like to travel here some day and check it out for myself. Anyway enjoy.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Its like deja vu i know i read about this on ats a year or so ago.
Still a beautiful site though,thanks for sharing it again.

Peace

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I am old enough to remember camping in Yosemite when, every evening, the powerful voice would call,"Let the Fire Fall". All of the heads would turn to the cliff face and the burning trash from the hotel above would fall in a burning display into the dump at the foot of the cliff. Greenies put a stop to the magical tradition decades ago.
Roy

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by newthings

OH cool, youve actually been there in person? Must have been quiet the site.

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
The National Park Service, actually, suspended the firefall because the massive amounts of people coming to view the events were tearing up the fragile meadowlands and the Service couldn't maintain them.

I remember the Firefalls well. We used to go up to the Valley several times during the summer to see them. They were over and done with by the time I worked in Yosemite Valley one summer during college. But...there are still a LOT of awesome sights to see up there. If there's any way, get yourself to Yosemite...it's an amazing place!!!

posted on Mar, 27 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Here's an older thread with more pictures:

In Yosemite, a Waterfall That Glows Like Molten Lava

edit on 27-3-2013 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

top topics

join