It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korean embassies 'selling drugs'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

North Korean embassy staff have reportedly been ordered to sell drugs to earn hard currency for the regime.

Employees in foreign postings were told they should be able to take around $300,000 from dealing, according to South Korea’s The Chosunilbo.

Source

Well i dont know what to make of this, its something i would have never expected. This is either some major BS propaganda or NK are taking a leaf out of the CIA's "how to make quick illegal money" manual.

Things just get weirder and weirder. What do you think ATSers?, more propaganda? or are they really looking at all options before they have to strike?.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire

or NK are taking a leaf out of the CIA's "how to make quick illegal money" manual.

Well said sir or madam. I was thinking the same thing. There is so much proof of the CIA doing this, why is there no investigation... oh that's right, the government is "do as I say, not as I do".
edit on 23-3-2013 by Catalyst317 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Can you supply us all with the nearest Embassy and best times to ..umm...protest to the guy selling the stuff? Err.. Protest. Yeah.. I intend to strongly protest! I just need to know how to get in touch!

Seriously.. there are moments I wish ATS didn't have the bad bad history with drug topics they do for the T&C they had to develop on it. This is sure one of them. It sounds like a very interesting topic and one that doesn't shock me, given who is said to be pushing it for hard currency return.

"You sanction me...I nuke you! ....with dope!" Nice guy, isn't he?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Catalyst317

"coughs", I am a he (not quite a sir).

The Lockerby disaster shed a lot of light on the dealings of the CIA, but thats for another thread.
edit on 23/3/2013 by Catch_a_Fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Seriously.. there are moments I wish ATS didn't have the bad bad history with drug topics they do for the T&C they had to develop on it. This is sure one of them. It sounds like a very interesting topic and one that doesn't shock me, given who is said to be pushing it for hard currency return.

Well if the thread is taken for its purpose (sensible discussion), then we may be ok, it is an issue which should raise concern....if true. If its proven NK are doing this the implications are immense, we could be having future political drug wars. Crazy times ahead.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

I couldn't agree more. Used as a strategic weapon? What is being threatened here would have dire social impact on the area it's dropped on. Just changing quantity and purity levels in a local area could have DRAMATIC issues for law enforcement and just normal citizens to deal with in the bad aftermath of the changes.

I'd say it does need taken seriously because he has all the ability to do it. Any nation state can, of course. I've just never actually heard one using it in quite THIS way before. That's a new one...and a disturbing one, at that.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Ah now I know why the US wants NK so badly... the CIA isn't getting a cut from the profit

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I'd say it does need taken seriously because he has all the ability to do it. Any nation state can, of course. I've just never actually heard one using it in quite THIS way before. That's a new one...and a disturbing one, at that.

This is what irritates me though, if they can source drugs, why cant they source food?. You also cant feed a nation on the profits of drugs, a small island maybe, but not a full blown nation. It could also be a way of getting funds for when they have to go all "gaddafi" and go AWOL, if this is the case then it tells us they intend to do something and are expecting consequences.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   

it would explain why their great leader is such a chubster, he must have a horrific case of the munchies.

seriously though, any info on prices?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Can you supply us all with the nearest Embassy and best times to ..umm...protest to the guy selling the stuff? Err.. Protest. Yeah.. I intend to strongly protest! I just need to know how to get in touch!

Here's a handy map for you. Assume local business hours, I suppose.

I'm actually kind of surprised that they have this many embassies. Probably not a lot of dealing out of the Mexican one, though -- diplomatic immunity doesn't mean squat to Los Zetas, lol.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I'm probably too conspiratorial minded at times..but something just crossed my mind.

If North Korea is using "Diplomatic Pouches" to bring in something so offensive to local law and culture in many places ...this could do something entirely different and not a welcome thing either.

Given the near FANATIC zeal with which some Governments pursue what the DPRK is talking about here..it could give basis to challenge the concept of diplomatic pouches entirely as a concept to be immune from interference and local intervention. A high enough profile incident with this could even challenge some basic tenants of the Vienna Conventions.

This is a real bone headed move on his part, willful or not to what all it could cause.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Seems like they have a bit of a history with this kind of behavior.

Wiki: Pong Su incident

It really wouldn't surprise me though as it's a way of gaining foreign currency when they have so many sanctions on trade. I remember a story but can't source it that the Pakistan embassy workers were smuggling drugs into the UK in diplomatic bags, though that was probably more rogue diplomats rather than state policy.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopeforeveryone

Hadnt heard of that before, it seems they have been profiting from this method a while. I wonder how long they've been doing this, they could have made billions. Yet their people starve and have to live like animals. Sickening isnt it?.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

From what google can tell me it seems likely that North Korea is the biggest meth supplier in South East Asia, run out of a mysterious room 39 !

It might explain why China hasn't been very supportive in the latest round of sanctions as they're shipping tons of it to China.

Also seems half the country of North Korea is addicted to it so if there is a war expect a lot of skeethy looking troops fidgetting and digging holes in peoples back yards !

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Good Lord.... They're running that into the local population, by reports? Well.. That is ONE way to deal with a profound famine, but wow.

Rumor has it, shooting one's self cure's a headache too ..but geeze... some solutions just don't need tried to figure out the fail issue in the middle

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Amen to that !

What i read was they have such a shortage of medicines the people are resorting to it for all kinds of illnesses
If they ever do get invaded or the state collapses they're going to need one hell of a 12 step program in the aftermath.

If there's any truth in the embassy thing, might be an idea to send back the embassy staff as really, who wants meth dealing North Koreans in your back yard. I'm surprised the media isn't making more of this as it's great anti-North Korean propaganda.
edit on 23-3-2013 by Hopeforeveryone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   

They may yet, Obama will need a bit of rest after his Israel visit, before he jumps on that bandwagon. Im surprised they havent used this card before if its such common knowledge, as it would seem.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   

I'd guess that certain governments don't want any attention drawn to any government control of certain illegal commodities. Real can of worms there ! There's always the nuke, concentration camp and canabalism angles to work first ! Hmm just realised i may be a bit cynical and jaded !

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire

North Korean embassy staff have reportedly been ordered to sell drugs to earn hard currency for the regime.

Employees in foreign postings were told they should be able to take around $300,000 from dealing, according to South Korea’s The Chosunilbo.

Source

Well i dont know what to make of this, its something i would have never expected. This is either some major BS propaganda or NK are taking a leaf out of the CIA's "how to make quick illegal money" manual.

Things just get weirder and weirder. What do you think ATSers?, more propaganda? or are they really looking at all options before they have to strike?.

This is easy to explain, in South Korea marijuana literally grew like weeds, it was rampant and considered a common lawn variety weed. It wasn't until American soldiers became too eager to help the locals that they realized something was amiss.

The penalty for marijuana in South Korea is pretty strict, worse than Jersey ;p

In North Korea and 3 other locations in the world marijuana is fully legal, the north grows it, the south sells it. The embassy is used as a drug front and easier smuggling.

My uncle showed me a bottle of north korean blue berry liquor...I'm not sure how he got his hands on it but there's got to be a way.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join