It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There will be cameras everywhere....whether you like it or not

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
FYI; just in case no one knew, if you are a "person of interest", well, your dishwasher isn't safe either.

CIA CHIEF: We'll spy on you through your dishwasher

The CIA has a lot of legal restrictions against spying on American citizens. But collecting ambient geolocation data from devices is a grayer area, especially after the 2008 carve-outs to the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act. Hardware manufacturers, it turns out, store a trove of geolocation data; and some legislators have grown alarmed at how easy it is for the government to track you through your phone or PlayStation.

Uh-huh.

Sleep tight.

edit on 23-3-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Dont need cameras or any other sort of surveillance technology to watch the watchers.

They hate that part.

Nope....Not remote viewing.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by ted4d

Not possible. Turn a phone off, and it's off. There isn't a phone on the planet that records everything - no point saying there is. It's not big brother, it's an app store, and you use it, or you don't.

why so paranoid! of course you can turn it off. Unless you think 'they' have found some way to make a phone work without electricity!! if it's off, it's not draining the battery, and it's doing nothing and big brother is not spying on you.

while a phone won't "record everything" you CAN remote access them, this is a "security feature", and if YOU can do it others can.

Sets off a "scream" alarm if you misplace your phone or tablet so you can easily find it, even if the volume is set to silent or vibrate.
Shows you the location of your missing device on a map to help you find it fast.
Lets you display a customizable message to anyone who finds your missing device, so you can make arrangements to get it back.
Takes a photo of anyone using your device, when in "lost mode". (Webcam-enabled devices only)

us.norton.com...

now when my father lost his cell phone we were looking up the security stuff and one of the things it could do was TURN ON THE PHONE if was powered off, then do things like listed above. and if YOU can do it, it means ANYONE can. in fact the ONLY way to keep stuff like that from being able to happen is to REMOVE THE BATTERY (provided of course phones don't have a small internal battery of course).

it's NOT paranoia, when it is true. i noticed that this also seems to be true for things like tablets as well. they could even "lock you out" of your own device and take/destroy all data on it.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by generik

Thank you for the elaboration and addition to my notice about the CMOS battery.

See also my post above about essentially any internet connected device in the home; playstations, Xbox, dishwasher, whatever.

Anyone desiring to close their eyes, plug their ears, and say lalalalalalala, is more than welcome to do so.

Those interested in learning a bit more about how their phones and other internet connected devices can be used against them might be interested in subscribing to the 2600 Hacker Quarterly publication (I was going to link the site, but, I'm foggy on T &C regarding that), and/or invest some time in reading any number of Ethical Hacking books available in sundry variety at any online bookstore.

*note*: I'm not promoting Hacking of any flavor; black, white, grey, phreaking, whatever. I'm just pointing out informational material relevant to the subject. If this is a violation of T & C, mods, please accept my apologies and I openly submit to removal of this post.

One need not invest the time to learn HOW to remote into near any internet connected device if they lack the facility, time, or patience to invest in learning the HOW of it, but, said materials can definitely give one a better feel about what is possible.

edit on 23-3-2013 by Druscilla because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Druscilla

lol you posted while i was looking stuff up and writing my reply.

in regards to your "dishwasher comment" wasn't that one of the issues people have with "smart meters", that not only would the meter be able to report energy usage and thus what you are likely doing, but also the possible ability to have your appliances/internet capable devices communicate with no permission by the owner through the meters? so that even if your "net/wireless" is not in operation these devices could still communicate without your knowledge or consent.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by generik

I'm not sure, but, I wouldn't doubt it.
Now my interest is piqued.
Time for me to internetz about some smart meters and how I might lock down any security holes if possible.

I don't even know if I have one.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
And this is why I do not have a cell phone. It seems that not having one is the only facet of my life in which I can ensure i have a modicum of privacy. It's bad enough that every internet search, every page i look at, every video i watch is tracked. I don't need the possibility of every conversation i have to be recorded. I don't doubt the day is coming where we have 'talking' houses and such, (SARAH (short for Self Actuated Residential Automated Habitat) i will continue to fight it to the inevitable end.

Are camera everywhere a good thing? Not in my book.

I simply will not lay down in acceptance of tyranny, in any form.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

There already are. I live in AZ, and every major intersection that I drive through has a camera. They sit on top of all of the traffic signals... and those are only the ones that I can find. I imagine there are much more.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
What should be explored are technologies to defeat, confuse, and disable, known surveillance technologies. We should reverse engineer the software and possibly hardware used to perform face recognition and then develop disguises or other facial prosthetics to defeat the software.

In addition, we the public should perform our OWN surveillance on the wealthy and powerful. Just as they wish to keep US in check, WE must keep THEM in check.

Anytime you see Mayor Bloomberg, or a Rockefeller, or any other powerful figure possibly tied to the military industrial complex in public, or any of their family members, take a picture or video of them with a cell phone and publish it on the internet, along with the time and date.

See if you can take a picture of their residences, and publish the addresses. Now to take things to the next level, let's track their sons and daughters and their children, see how they like not having any control of their private lives. It may come to the point where they will not be able to go in public without US knowing every step they take.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by deloprator20000

Or, you could do some studying; learn a few things about information security where then you have a stronger platform of understanding such that you can protect your privacy better than the average person.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Bloomberg is a nasty little weasel I don't understand how he got into office in the first place, funny though that he isn't even trying to deny our future controlled environment anymore.

My family does not have or need any new game consoles, tv's, etc... got rid of the smart phones and got a regular old phone, do have an older droid tablet but it's got tape over the camera and I dont download any apps anymore, especially the ones that say they can use the camera to take pics at any time (wtf is that for?).

With books like 1984, and Brave New World out for decades now how is it that we have allowed this to come true? Why will I have to explain to my children that I let their rights slip away slowly?

Oh yeah I know because "it's going to keep us safer" "it's all for the children" lies, lies and more freaking lies.

I'm thinking that maybe everyone who gives a crap should start following politicians around and video record them at every chance we can, you know when they eat at restaurant, when they shop, when they are anywhere where it is legal to be watched and videotaped. Obviously you can't legally stalk someone but hey if you just happen to be there why not. If they can do it to us why the frack can't we do it to them?

edit on 23-3-2013 by brandiwine14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Well I dunno if anyone already pointed it out on this thread...but the UK is the most densely covered country in the world, as far as CCTV goes. They put those camera up everywhere, in every city on every building in the 1980's.
Mostly these cameras were supposedly put up for security..however if you ever get mugged, the footage is too grainy too identify the attackers..or the person responsible for the tape either wiped it, or forgot to turn the camera on...etc.
Most cities in the UK now have a control station that can oversee multiple camera's in urban areas...they have not stopped crime... in fact we had those nation wide riots a couple of years ago...and that's with all the cameras..sure after the fact...they identified lots of rioters...but not all...not the ones who wore hoodies or masks etc...

But the day will come when they will ban you from wearing a mask or your hood up in public...no doubt...you will have to learn how to fabricate professional looking prosthetic latex features then.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:28 PM
link   
I remember when I was in the 7th grade back in 1973...

My English teacher said "one day there will be cameras everywhere. And most people will WANT it"!

I thought "This guy's nuts".

I don't think that so much anymore. 'Cept I'm one of the ones that doesn't want them.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Druscilla

Why is this a problem to anyone?

Most have a camera, microphone, GPS tracking device, and personal data storage log recording EVERYTHING done and everywhere gone all the time.
It's called a cell phone, and yes, Big Brother can and will use it for any or no reason at all, even if you turn it off, and you'll never know it.

As long as anyone has a cell phone, they got zero room to complain about cameras in public when they willingly take Big Brother right up inside their own homes with them and everywhere else they go.

Besides that, the cameras are PUBLIC, just like people's eyeballs.

Since you see no problem with this feel free to post a web cam link to you computer for us to check in on you.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Cameras out here where I live? Doubtful up here in the country. Anytime soon. I would be offended beyond belief. There has to be a place for someone like me who values their privacy. The internet takes privacy away

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Simple solution...umbrellas.
2nd.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by starshift

Since you see no problem with this feel free to post a web cam link to you computer for us to check in on you.

It would seem the creeper element on ATS is alive and well, especially since it appears some don't understand the difference between a domestic residence, and a PUBLIC place.

There's cameras in public all over the place already, plus it's PUBLIC.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
They should probably just put cameras in our living rooms. You know, for safety and security.

Ha ha, that would be your Xbox Kinect and your laptop's webcam.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightTide

I pledge allegiance to the flag of
the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands:
One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
Our government too uses hoaxes to create the illusion that We The People have no choice but the direction the government wishes us to go in.............

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join