It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Favorite games and why you like them

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Some of my all-time favorites would be Daggerfall (elder scrolls 2) and Fallout 1 and 2.

The reason being that when those games came out in 1996 and 1997, they were pretty much my first experience with Role Playing Games outside of the Final Fantasy series.

Daggerfall was unique because it gave you such a massive area to play in and left you pretty much open to do whatever you wanted. At the time, it was the first game like that I had ever played. I remember it had this glitch that I would exploit constantly where you could go into a shop during the day and hit the "wait" button and wait until the shop was closed. You are still standing there but the shopkeeper is gone. So you loot the shelves for as much as you can carry and leave. Wait until daytime, go back in and sell all his stuff back to him. Good times.

Fallout 1 was pretty unique as well. I remember that first time I shot some wasteland thug and half of his body blew off. Incredible. Never seen anything like it before. Plus it had a massive wasteland to explore. Tons of people to meet... and then kill.

Fallout 2 was a refinement of the first one with a different storyline and somewhat better graphics.

Then there were games like Leisure Suit Larry or Curse of Monkey Island. They were simple but hilarious.

Duke Nukem 3D was another classic. It was unique because it was one of the first to offer modding support. It had a relatively user friendly map editor. Weapons and enemies were all animated 2D drawings so making new ones were fairly simple. It opened up a whole new world to a lot of people. Plus you had a humorous anti-hero that was constantly spouting one-liners and giggling like an idiot.

Half-Life was a good one. The first game to rely heavily on scripted sequences. So it was a bit like playing a movie. You would be walking along and then BAM a security guard gets nailed by a giant claw or something. Plus Half-Life had quite possibly the best modding support of all time. It was like Valve Software tossed us the keys and said "have fun".

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by allenidaho

That was a great answer, thank you

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
the thrill of exploration and discovery i got when playing morrowind for the first time is something i'm not sure i'll experience in a computer game again..
i also remember bunking off school one time then playing Jet-Pac on my spectrum all day - i did some 60 or 70 levels and loved every second of it.
i also very much enjoyed repeatedly kicking the bejayzus out of a house mates brother on streetfighter 2 on the SNES. he thought he was unbeatable so it was particularly satisfying

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   
I just remembered some old games I used to play:

Jill of the Jungle (1992)

I loved the underwater level.

Biomenace (1993)

Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure (1992)

Horror Zombies from the Crypt (1990)

My mother used to play this one, I was terrified of it!

Does anyone remember these?

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 12:33 AM
link   
My favorite game is GTA, I like the car and police chase scenes of the game.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
crash bandicoot series for ps1 ps2
metal gear series
far cry 3
gta series
fall out series for xbox 360
nba live series

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Of all time? Final Fantasy 7 would likely be it for me. It wasn't the first RPG I got into but I do remember spending hours grinding battles and working at getting a golden chocobo. A close second would be Xenogears which still to this day has one of the most complex storylines I've seen. That and the battle arena was a blast - it could have been it's own stand alone game.

Nowadays I'm mostly playing COD/GTA/RDR type games, etc. Seems I don't have the time I once did to invest in a good RPG.

But I will have to admit - my guilty pleasure, Fat Princess. I almost always play a round or two at the end of a gaming session since I don't need to really take winning/losing seriously with that one.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 03:00 AM
link   
Played Star Wars Galaxies for years, until SOE scrapped it. Best MMO ever IMO. Lately I just run a lot of BF3 on Xbox. Definitely a better choice over COD any day. To me COD is just a FPS, while BF3 is a full fledged WAR game.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

When the kids were little they had to fight me to get me off of the Super Nintendo because I was always glued to either Tetris, Dr. Mario or Legend of Zelda. Tetris and Dr. Mario I loved because they are puzzle games and Zelda? Well, who didn't love Legend of Zelda!

Nowadays I have a box that plugs into the TV that I play various versions of Pacman, Dig Dug, and a few other "old school" games on. The grandgirl (almost 3 now) is getting pretty good at Pacman!

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
nothing like playing the old school arcade games

Metal Gear solid on Nes

My fav game of all times, Metal gear solid

after almost 2 decades i still love this game

Metal Gear Solid Collection

edit on 28-3-2013 by bodrul because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2016 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I made a list of my favorit games of all time:

Its a top10

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join