It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man carrying umbrella, not rifle, was on his usual route when.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I see our society is turning to a police state faster than we think lately..

I wish this story went on to tell us what happened..

Unfortunately it goes off topic, you'll see..

A typical Tuesday morning for 42-year-old Michael Di Marzo quickly became a citywide multi-jurisdictional manhunt for him and what witnesses thought was a assault rifle in his hand.
Man reported walking with a gun prompts morning lockdown of three Olympia schools

Three schools were locked down and delayed as police scoured the area by ground and air, looking for a man described by a teenage tipster as wearing black clothes and a ski mask.

It wasn’t realized until hours later what was believed to be something along the lines of an AR-15 or AK-47 was more of a AU-15: a 15-inch compact “assault umbrella.”

The “ski mask” was a pulled-up black turtle neck sweater paired with a black watch cap.

www.theolympian.com...

I guess people forgot what an Umbrella looks like..

Everything is a damn Assault rifle these days..

edit on 22-3-2013 by baddmove because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   

I like how the police guys were all pumped about how"you can't find a better training scenario than that." Unfortunate that it cost the tax payers how much again? How are these expenses justified?

Edit to add: Hilarious I got the "excessive quote" ban.

CJ
edit on 22-3-2013 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Man. I just don't know CJ..

I mean, an umbrella just looks like an umbrella...

not an assault rifle..

Hell, I give up on people..just to damn stupid anymore..

/sigh...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by baddmove

Personally I like that he gestured at the helicopter with his umbrella saying "leave me alone you idiots" without words. Sounds like he is a nice guy, visiting his mom and such. I'm surprised he wasn't shot.

CJ

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:30 PM
link   
People must be in such a state of fear and anxiety that they will just seem almost anything that they want at times. I suppose after hearing all the stories about people walking around with guns their mind will associate it with almost anything. Quite sad really to turn an umbrella into a rifle..

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Another great example of why "see something say something" is a total farce in this country when a person cannot decipher the difference between a ski mask and a turtle neck, or an umbrella and an "assault rifle".

It's stories like this that also give more credence to the fact that eyewitness reports are to be taken lightly until confirmed with hard evidence.
edit on 3/22/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

I like this part the best..

It didn’t take long for police to come knocking at his door. Police had seen video footgage of Di Marzo riding the Transit City bus in the morning and had tracked him, Di Marzo said.

so they saw video footage and STILL don't know it's an Umbrella.....

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Im curious...
Did this guy have a possible confrontation with said teenager, prompting the kid to phone a false report intentionally?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by RadicalRebel

Sadly the story does not say..

it just kinda goes off topic about lock downs...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaDe_
Another great example of why "see something say something" is a total farce in this country when a person cannot decipher the difference between a ski mask and a turtle neck, or an umbrella and an "assault rifle".

It's stories like this that also give more credence to the fact that eyewitness reports are to be taken lightly until confirmed with hard evidence.
edit on 3/22/2013 by SpaDe_ because: (no reason given)

edit on 22-3-2013 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Time to toss out those black umbrellas and invest in a shiny new pink Barbie one.

Assault rifle ?
Nah...

*sigh*

Funerals will never be the same.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Just a chronicle in the ongoing "wussification" of America. They freak about umbrellas.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
This is what happens with the "report everything" mindset that has been pushed on people.

When it is shoved in people's faces that they MUST report anything suspicious or they may be enabling terrorism, people start to look for things to report. They start seeing guns where there are really umbrellas. Sort of like how cops see guns where there are really wallets and hoagie sandwiches.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
This is what happens with the "report everything" mindset that has been pushed on people.

When it is shoved in people's faces that they MUST report anything suspicious or they may be enabling terrorism, people start to look for things to report. They start seeing guns where there are really umbrellas. Sort of like how cops see guns where there are really wallets and hoagie sandwiches.

Exactly.....

The mindset of the American populace went sideways a few years ago..

and it aint getting any better....

new topics

top topics

join