It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

whats with the weird weather?... have you noticed...

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
As a comparison, March 12th 2012 was somewhat warmer, but then we had a #e summer.

Temps in 2012 for March 23rd got up to around 16-17c..

Maybe we're going to get a warm summer this year?

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

ok, research is required. i'm only up to 1930 on russian history so give me a decade or two and i may be able to answer to some degree!
f(uk).

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
ocean currents control the jet stream. polar ice melt effects currents by changing the salinity. one fear of global warming is an ice age for london

invest in good boots and a new furnace or boiler

the unusual part is that england stays so warm....if you look at the latitude grade it's on, and compare it to northern canda, and northern russia, england is the exception not the rule. along the same latitutde you have snow on the ground in every other part of the world for alot longer. if you're a scot, you might want to buy a snowmobile

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

(remind me again how it can snow???...maybe unless the axis of the earth isnt right! precession?
something doesnt feel right... anyone else notice anything?)

I have Noticed that all this year.. the MOON is not right.. at nite when it should be a crescent and upright on it's point it is SIDEWAYS like a BOWL.. to see the Moon that way you should ONLY BE ON THE EQUATOR .. LAST time I checked Missouri is NOT on the EQUATOR.. I think the Earth has change the slant of its Axis and they are not telling us.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
IT IS STRANGE! I'm in Wisconsin and it's snowing here today.

The primary phenomenon involved here is the Arctic Oscillation that has been negative lately...

The most important mode of variation in the Arctic’s winter atmospheric circulation is the Arctic Oscillation. When the Arctic Oscillation is in a negative mode or phase, sea level pressure is higher than normal over the central Arctic and lower than normal over middle latitudes. This pattern tends to keep the high Arctic relatively warm. It brings colder weather to Europe and North America because air masses can cross into and out of the high Arctic more easily. This pattern tends to favor the retention of thick ice in the Arctic basin by reducing the outflow of ice through the Fram Strait and strengthening the Beaufort Gyre, a clockwise circular pattern of ice drift in the central Arctic. The opposite conditions generally hold for a positive Arctic Oscillation pattern.

So we get this...

Here's the article that is the source of the quote...

nsidc.org...

I'm working on a thread to go into more detail on Arctic Oscillations. Hopefully, I'll post today.

The good news is that the AO is predicted to switch more positive in the near future. For now, winter in spring!!!

S&F OP

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by hollwd

I have been observing the moon since I was a child, looks perfectly normal to me.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
Found this article which makes some sense:

e360.yale.edu...

Linking Weird Weather to Rapid Warming of the Arctic

The loss of Arctic summer sea ice and the rapid warming of the Far North are altering the jet stream over North America, Europe, and Russia. Scientists are now just beginning to understand how these profound shifts may be increasing the likelihood of more persistent and extreme weather.

Does it seem as though your weather has become increasingly “stuck” lately? Day after day of cold, rain, heat, or blue skies may not be a figment of your imagination. While various oceanic and atmospheric patterns such as El Niño, La Niña, and the North Atlantic Oscillation have been blamed for the spate of unusual weather recently, there’s now a new culprit in the wind: Arctic amplification. Directly related to sea-ice loss and earlier snowmelt in the Far North, it is affecting the jet stream around the Northern Hemisphere, with potentially far-reaching effects on the weather.

Article is a bit long so read the remaining on the link.

posted on Mar, 28 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
heres a good link...
latest weather story from the washington post

"Incredible North Atlantic storm spans Atlantic Ocean, coast to coast"
www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugin

Well, living just a bit south of the arctic circle, I can truly say that we are having similar issues. It is snowing today outside like it is January. The temps have been barely coming above freezing. It just refuses to warm up this year. I have lived in Alaska for over 15 years and only seen it snow 3 times after Easter. Once was in a mountain pass in July that melted the next day. The other two times, it barely dusted and then melted shortly thereafter. Right now I am watching 1/4 to 1/2 inch flakes flying. There are probably whiteout conditions on the highway.

I just finally dug out a single garden bed from the existing 2 feet of snow on it to find inch tall iris sprouts, that may not make it now if it snows too much again. In previous years I have had perennials growing and siberian squill blooming at this time of year. This year, before it started snowing again today, there was still 2-4 feet of snow waiting to melt. It has even been sunny for the last couple of weeks, and that usually melts whatever we have standing pretty quickly. I have to agree with a previous poster that the light seems weaker, and not nearly as warm as it should be.

I am sorry if I rambled, I am about ready to cry at this point. It should not be winter STILL!! I should be planting in the ground on May 10, and I don't even know if I will be able to see my veggie gardens then at this rate.The weather is not right this year AT ALL!

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
One of the things about the weather I have noticed all these years is that we so little data to compare too. For instance, last July 18th, we had the highest temperature every recorded here 109 degrees F. However that is only in the last 134 years that records have been kept. Who is to say that on July 18th 1312 it wasn't 110 degrees?

Any meteorologist who is a scientist-and not a media rep being told what to say-will agree that we are forming conclusions based on less than 1% of the data because that is all we have to go on.

Sure, we can dig in the ground, examine tree rings and get ideas about our past climate however any real statistics are just guesswork.

One of the things overlooked to some degree today is the ability to set up your own weather stations and link them to your computer as an aid to understanding 'your' weather rather than that of your local airport, or other common spot. I have 2 installed, one about 100 feet from here on a 30foot pole and another at my cabin. A good one cost about $150 or you can go as high as a couple of thousand if you want. Using GPS the station can be positioned for your exact longitude and latitude.

If your frustrated by the weather this is a fun and somewhat inexpensive way to understand it better.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   
I don't think it's overly weird. People think strange weather phenomenon are a recent thing, but when you look back, the things considered weird are pretty regular, just forgotten about or not experienced by more recent generations before.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join