It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My .02 cents for prepping

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I read several threads here and on other sites, usually on survival.
People say to have a "bag" for this, a "bag" for that and to "go or not to go"....they say to have this or that....it is a must have to survive.
That is all a personal choice for each person to make on there own...just don't go bag crazy, I say that because if you grab the wrong bag in a SHTF, you might be without the things you wanted to have for that event.
It all comes down to what you are thinking will happen and prep for. The basic overall thoughts seem to be, pick the most likely event to happen and go from there...and thats a great idea.
There are vehicle bags, ICINCB(in case I am Never Coming Back), 72 hour packs, everyday carry bag, wilderness bag, urban bag, work bag...they are all great bags for what they are needed for, just know that if your in an Urban setting and you bug out, well you might end up in the mountains or the desert...even if that was not your plan...you might think your able to go home to resupply or get things, or you might not...just something to think about for packing your bag(s).
How I figured out what I want to have in my bag, well I went camping for a week, in all the different seasons, and my list of things I want changes with the seasons for my "go bag". The basics will be the same for anytime of the year. Thats just how I came up with mine, its an idea or a tool for you all to use to try if you like...I feel it has worked for me, so I am passing it on to you.

Many places and sites say to have freeze dried food, MRE's, a garden, and canned goods. Have plenty of dry stored goods and a supply of water.
I am not saying anything that most all of you don't know already...your basics for survival are..in no special order..
1) Food
2) Water
3) Shelter
4) Protectiion
5) Meds
6) Transportation..I add that because we all need to be mobile, be it by foot, bike, motorcycle, car, Boat, SUV, truck, RV..or whatever you want
Now with a simple set up of those items, you can survive a long long time.
If your into having more things for survival, look at how long your thinking that your going to need the said items, and go from there.... to get what you think you need for your survival.

It might seem dumb, but I think I have came up with a way that you can help figure out what you need for you...and how much of said items you will go through.

If you go and take a sheet of paper and write down everything you use, from a bar of soap, a Qtip...all the way up to the hours of light/electrical use that you have...you can figure out what it will take to live as normal as possible that way, one month at a time(I say a month, because one month is about the same as the next ..while a week can be very different from one to the next).....this can help with what to buy more of or if you already have enough of said item...like bleach, TP, canned veggies...you all get the point. All you do is multiply the items you used the previious month, by however many months you wanna have stored up.

There are problems you might have figuring out protection..like weapons and ammo...
protection, that is on you with your ability and what you think you need...far be it for me, to tell you, what you need to protect yourself...you should know that already or atleast have an idea of what you want for protection. I will say this though, don't think because you bought a weapon..that your instantly Rambo.

There are a lot of things that we live with and use everyday that we don't need. people over the years have gotten by with very minimal things from year to year...yes sometimes they are wonderful things...but life goes on without them. For instance, a cell phone...they are great, but 30 years ago we all never had one in our pocket, and we all got along just fine. My point being, most people are lost without it...well when the lights go out and say the power grid goes down, the tower batteries are used up...then what? it is a sinker or a paper weight.
Try to start using the little extras like that less and less...you will be suprised how much you don't miss them! (unless your a teenager that has an OH MY GOSH, DO YOU KNOW WHAT SO AND SO DID OR SAID).

We all prep, to some extent, if its for a day at a time or for years at a time...we all are always getting ready for something...be it tonight dinner or storing food for 30 years from now..we all prep...just in different time frames.

I also want to mention that if your prepping for just you and your family...please take into account, that parents, friends, or whoever might be knocking on your door when it happens, plan for that..however you wanna deal with that issue is all on you. If they know you prep, then you broke the # 1 rule of it..with OPSEC... remember not to tell everyone what your doing or have done, and have everyone in your house know to keep there lips zipped shut about it...it could just make life in a SHTF a lot easier on you...with nobody knowing you have anything.

This is just some info that I have gained over time and thought that I would share with all of you here.
just my .02 cents.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:17 PM
link   
If one preps as if one is going on a fishing,hunting,camping trip...what more does one need?

you must live and a maintain a lifestyle of survival to the point that it becomes second nature and you no longer think about it and it no longer dictates your life.

Shibumi....effortless perfection

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SPECULUM

Food.
Most important. Everything else can be scavenged.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I'm not going anywhere in SHTF scenario, just hunkering down right here.

Gonna live or die by that decision.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Food. Most important. Everything else can be scavenged.
reply to post by smilesmcgee

Water. More Important than anything. I can go over a week or longer if I had to without food, can you do that without a drop of water?

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by SPECULUM
If one preps as if one is going on a fishing,hunting,camping trip...what more does one need?

you must live and a maintain a lifestyle of survival to the point that it becomes second nature and you no longer think about it and it no longer dictates your life.

This is very true, and it is a great way to keep your skills up and the items you need always on hand and available.
Not everyone fishes, hunts, or camps that preps...yeah i know they should, but some just don't.
people think ...yeah I saw it on TV I can do that...well maybe they can...maybe they can't....These are the people that I did this tread for.
This subject of prepping is so big ..there are so many things that you could do, or plan for, it would blow your mind and your bank account.
The main thing about all of this, is for people to actually get out of the house, off there butts and go do something, learn something, practice skills that you have, and take your weaker skills and work on those to make them stronger/better....yes for some people is comes natually, for others it is a mind numbing headache that they just don't grasp...just trying to assist those people here.

edit on 23-3-2013 by saltdog because: spelling

edit on 23-3-2013 by saltdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by saltdog

Originally posted by SPECULUM

This is very true, and it is a great way to keep your skills up and the items you need always on hand and available.
Not everyone fishes, hunts, or camps that preps...yeah i know they should, but some just don't.
people think ...yeah I saw it on TV I can do that...well maybe they can...maybe they can't....These are the people that I did this tread for.
This subject of prepping is so big ..there are so many things that you could do, or plan for, it would blow your mind and your bank account.
The main thing about all of this, is for people to actually get out of the house, off there butts and go do something, learn something, practice skills that you have, and take your weaker skills and work on those to make them stronger/better....yes for some people is comes natually, for others it is a mind numbing headache that they just don't grasp...just trying to assist those people here.

edit on 23-3-2013 by saltdog because: spelling

edit on 23-3-2013 by saltdog because: (no reason given)

I wasn't trying to take anything away from your thread, i was merely suggesting that for those that prep, do so as its your life so you wont struggle.

Its not rocket or computer science and in our real of modern survival technology we have unlimited choices as to what works for us as individuals and our personal preferences...it all brings it down to trial and error, and adapt and overcome..the object is to refine and overcome

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SPECULUM

I completely agree with you and don't think you've taken anything away from the tread, in fact you have added to it. Forum/treads are for people of like minds to talk about whatever the topic is....there are several ways to clean a fish, the end result is the fish feeds you...how you get it from the water to your stomach is on you and your abilities...and right or wrong for you/them...who cares as long as the end result is the same.

posted on Mar, 24 2013 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

OPSEC says it all especially since NY just posted that Screw your neighbor over their guns hotline and reward!

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

1) Food
2) Water
3) Shelter
4) Protectiion
5) Meds
6) Transportation

I think you DO have to consider order though.

Most important = Water. Without out, you die, pure and simple...and while you can forage for it, it may take you a while to find it in many different environments. Just keep a bottle of water handy in your vehicle. How hard is that? If you can't take your vehicle, grab the water from it, then go on foot.

Next important = Food. How many of us really can forage well for food? A few heat and serve cans of food are easy to get, and easy to take with you. Sure, you can go a while without food, but your performance (and mood) will greatly suffer without it.

Meds = If you NEED them to function, then yes, this is important, but a HUGE liability in a SHTF situation. My wife faces this issue, so I can sympathize. But if NEEDED, this is hugely important to have. I always keep spares of her meds on me, to give to her if she needs them, and she has spares in her BOB.

Shelter = Nah...this is easily found and/or made, even with little experience. A cheap poncho, in most climates, is fine...but if you are in a place getting snow and freezing temps, then more important. However, a small dome tent is light, easy to carry, and actually holds up very well.

Protection = A good knife is all you really need if you are avoiding others, but a firearm is great for those who have one. Not as important though, for someone just trying to get to their safe place.

The main thing to have? A PLAN. Where are you going? How are you getting there? What can you collect on the way? For instance, my PLAN is to get home, from my work. It's an hour commute, so if doing on foot, could take me days.

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Don't forget, if martial law is imposed, all your guns, ammo and food stores will be confiscated. Best way is to have a bug out location you can travel to.

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by anobserver

Guns? Ammo? Food? What guns, ammo, and food????????

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

1) Food
2) Water
3) Shelter
4) Protectiion
5) Meds
6) Transportation

I think you DO have to consider order though.

Most important = Water. Without out, you die, pure and simple...and while you can forage for it, it may take you a while to find it in many different environments. Just keep a bottle of water handy in your vehicle. How hard is that? If you can't take your vehicle, grab the water from it, then go on foot.

Next important = Food. How many of us really can forage well for food? A few heat and serve cans of food are easy to get, and easy to take with you. Sure, you can go a while without food, but your performance (and mood) will greatly suffer without it.

Meds = If you NEED them to function, then yes, this is important, but a HUGE liability in a SHTF situation. My wife faces this issue, so I can sympathize. But if NEEDED, this is hugely important to have. I always keep spares of her meds on me, to give to her if she needs them, and she has spares in her BOB.

Shelter = Nah...this is easily found and/or made, even with little experience. A cheap poncho, in most climates, is fine...but if you are in a place getting snow and freezing temps, then more important. However, a small dome tent is light, easy to carry, and actually holds up very well.

Protection = A good knife is all you really need if you are avoiding others, but a firearm is great for those who have one. Not as important though, for someone just trying to get to their safe place.

The main thing to have? A PLAN. Where are you going? How are you getting there? What can you collect on the way? For instance, my PLAN is to get home, from my work. It's an hour commute, so if doing on foot, could take me days.

Please note ..IN NO SPECIAL ORDER...meaning ..they are not listed in order of importance...just was throwing them out there and suck at typing ..and wanted to get my train of thought out..cuz I am old and don't wanna forget what I was thinking...lol

I am not saying anything that most all of you don't know already...your basics for survival are..in no special order..
1) Food
2) Water
3) Shelter
4) Protectiion
5) Meds

I know water is top priority....after air.
The point being to have the things needed...and after seeing this skyrocket in price...it makes you wonder whats coming next.
I saw ammo go from a wallmart value pack of 223 ammo that use to be like $40. bucks for 200 rounds, to seeing it at a gun show a couple months ago...with only about a month inbetween...to the price for the same ammo same box go and sell for $166.00 at the gun show..and people were still buying it up....I was shocked to see the 400% markup on it...
It might sound stupid to some or crazy to others, but people ...this goes all across the board for everything you buy, use, need on a daily basis....buy what you can now, because prices aren't going to go down...meaning for food, fuel, and anything else you might wanna have on hand...your going to use the items up no matter if there is a SHTF or not, so why not have some extra in the house, and save some $$ later on...it just makes economic sense to have what you need and buy it in excess, to save $$ in the future.

It just seems like something is going on, and that if your putting off till tomorrow what you can do today...well tomorrow it might not be there or be at a much higher price.

edit on 26-3-2013 by saltdog because: (no reason given)

top topics

join