It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAA to Close 149 U.S. Airport Towers After Budget Cuts

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

I pray you are right. You kind of said alot when you said you are survivor. You are quite an experienced pilot and have worked with others of the same calibre.

My son is a flight instructor at a small airport with no tower. He jokes that his students are trying to kill him and has shared many of close call stories with me. Something you really shouldn't do with a Mom, but I put it in God's hands.

I mentioned Carbondale as being the 2nd busiest airport in Illinois. It is also the airport that the SIU-C Aviation School uses. Losing their tower seems like and unnecessary risk.

I would not be upset if the thoughts put out by other posters on why this doesn't have to be weren't valid. Trim the fat. FAA has people making 6 figure incomes. I have not heard of any administrative positions being cut and they are sitting on a pile of research $. It doesn't have to be this way.

TPTB want it to be this way.

Couple that with an estimated 30,000 drones in US airspace by 2020.
Obama signs bill to proliferate drones in US skies, make unionization harder for airport workers
www.democraticunderground.com...

So thanks for trying to reassure the worry warts, but the heart of the matter is this could have been prevented if Obama and Company really wanted it.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baldryck
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm a controller, although i work for the DoD at a base. Not everyone will be given the same day off at the same time, it will be staggered so there is still coverage I'm sure.

As far as the government is concerned, it's all part of the game they play. Just constant electioneering.

There won't be coverage at 149 airports.

FAA to close 149 air traffic control towers to meet required budget cut

usnews.nbcnews.com...

Mark Hanna, director of the Abraham Lincoln Capital Airport in Springfield, Ill., says without ground controllers as backup the risk to operate "goes up exponentially," especially at airports like his, which have such a broad mix of aircraft types: everything from privately operated Piper Cubs to the larger passenger planes of United and American airlines.

Airport Hit List pdf

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Airports suing FAA over planned tower shutdowns
news.yahoo.com...

Likely no reviews or impact studies were done by FAA before these cuts were made.

The lawsuits specifically mention the National Environmental Policy Act, which requires extensive review of any airport changes, as well as the Safety Management Systems protocols requiring thorough risk analysis that the FAA must carry out.

"That requirement is not excused" by the budget cuts, Olson said.

Politics as usual. Heads should roll if these decisions were made without risk analysis.

<< 1   >>

join