It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pfft. No, you shut up. Go back to sleep. (Relating society and music to society and hugs)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
[rant] No, I will not turn down my care-releasing celtic, energizing electronic, driving death metal, calming classical music today. I will not conform to your redundant, putrid, monotonous tastes in music. I will continue to support a varied musical selection and will dedicate myself in making the stagnant air around me to be filled with non-generic emotions.

Simply because I am able to express more than a hollowed smile, does not mean that I listen to worse music than you do. There is no inferiority in being able to rise past merrily, Kesha's "Kisses", or the ludicrous Lady Gaga's "LoveGames", and there is no love gained kissing ass to putrid public opinion.

Have no fear to explore feelings, even though fear is all you can show around me as I am leave for adverse audio adventures. Your ridiculous and raunchy R+B pops my spirit; your psychopathic and patronizing pop ridicules me--no more will I be a victim of your mainstream music. [/rant]

Tired of people not willing to listen to innovative music and listen to things that deviate away from that crap that is always on the radio. I literally had my roommate, not long ago, told me that the best music was that which was predictable. There is a time and place for all mixtures of sound and progressions, but if you listen to the same 10 songs that each have the same progression of three chords in it... only to call yourself a musician... You MUST be full of it.

I don't know, the whole music thing isn't what upsets me as much as what I think it says about society. This relates perfectly well to music and such, but I will explain it first using the idea of a "hug". What happens when you give someone a hug? They feel good inside, usually. Even if it is brief and just a small spike of happiness, it is there. And that is the purpose. But what happens when you begin to hug that person everyday, perhaps every time you see them, and the hug never changes? Soon it becomes a dependency--a given variable. The meaning of the hug dwindles and dwindles until the meaning is gone. The hug is both expected and assumed. In fact, at this point, the only way the hug becomes realized or noticed is when suddenly one day, the hug does not appear upon contact.

This then changes what a hug is meant to do, form making someone happy (and letting them know that they were missed) to making someone sad, empty, and actually missing the hug they so normally get... The hug then turns into a negative here... Sure, perhaps the next hug makes up for it--but there is a general desensitization effect that happens here that, hopefully, is clear to see.

Back to music, I think a similar thing happens. So many people listen to the same brand of music, the same flavor of one thing if you will, and then music kind of loses its effect. If you never switch it up and try a new type of music, or era of music even, how can you possibly continue to derive a message from it?

Personally, I think music, and hugs, are supposed to mean something. You seek one or the other, or give them, and it is supposed to have an effect. Let's try not to ruin either one as a society by maintaining narrow-minded usage of either.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Twix404

Maybe this will cheer you up

Or maybe this?

edit on 2012/06/12 by davesmart because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

Not bad, I am not a huge fan of Wagner--too much brass. But as far as classical goes, my favorites are:

Chopin:

Debussy:

Vivaldi:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Twix404

lovely...this is my all time favorite...it may be known by many..but thats fine, it should be.

peace and love
~

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Twix404

One of my all time loves is vivaldi
Do you like Handel?

Here's a great piece

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Hi natalia
I love that piece.
Even wen i listen to it nowadays i always see Kathy Bates in Steven King's Misery,about to break his ankles
(though in the book she severs it.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Sorry if im going overboard
I love this

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Honestly that one may be one of the only Beethoven pieces I enjoy. Usually his works are too simple emotionally speaking, but that one I do love.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
reply to post by davesmart

I suppose if I was to listen to "band" music I would choose this one:

And yeah I have a feel Handel songs in iTunes I believe.
edit on 22-3-2013 by Twix404 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Twix404

Still like AC/DC's Thunderstuck from their Razors Edge album...it gives me energy just like a Twix bar does.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Or even better if you combine classical with metal...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by shrevegal

To be honest, that is probably the only AC/DC song I actually enjoy. I never liked the singer. And the drums are always so simple, it does drumming a disservice. The guitars are usually entertaining, but the solos always feel the same to me. Thunderstruck is definitely their redeeming song though.

new topics

top topics

join