Respiratory and Skin Problems with Infants...

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Observations, Concerns, and Theories

Yesterday I went to a friend of a friend's house to pick up some baby gear. I'll be with child in less than a month so we're getting lots of stuff from friends lately.

Also, as an expectant dad I have some anxiety about taking care of a baby.

So I meet up with this lady to get the baby gear and she's got a 1 year old. In the kid's room she had three or four different devices running that were all modifying the air somehow. Dehumidifier, circulation, some other contraption I didn't even know what it did. Now, here in Hawaii there are basically two kinds of houses. Newer, hermetically sealed, cheaply built tract housing like where she lived; and non-sealed, older, mostly open to the environment type houses like mine.

She told me her one year old has really bad eczema and upper respiratory problems. She mentioned that before he was born she noticed a tiny bit of what appeared to be black mold in a windowsill in the kids room. Don't get grossed out but the black mold stuff is just kind of everywhere here in Hawaii, no matter how much you clean. So that's why she has all those devices running in there. Also she runs A/C in the house. I also inferred from talking to her that if there is a cream or medication out there for baby eczema she has tried it on the kid.

I guess I'm just wondering if maybe sealing up the kid in a hermetically sealed house, running all those air devices, slathering him in creams...could all those factors actually be making the problems worse?

In my house, with windows and doors open 24/7 and no kind of weather proofing it would be impractical for me to run all those air purifiers. Also it's Hawaii and I don't understand why anyone would run A/C or want to live in eggshell type houses anyway. So I won't be using all that stuff regardless, but the thought of having to deal with baby eczema and lung problems is freaking me out. As if having a kid wasn't scary enough.

TLDR: Without turning this into a link-war between natrualnews.com and MSM, does anyone have any empirical evidence one way or the other? Can you over-engineer a baby's environment to the point where you're just making conditions worse? Can a baby be just fine with exposure to the actual outside world and a natural environment?

All I want in this world is a healthy baby.
edit on 22-3-2013 by ZeroReady because: typo

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroReady

As new parents you obsess so much over your kids.
I used to wake up in the middle of the night to see if my daughter was breathing.

But try not to worry so much. Or just have another kid asap. That will take the worry away. It did in my case.
My daughters are 14 months apart.

Try not to sweat something that hasn't happened yet. Just focus on taking care of you child. You'll be very busy with that soon enough.

As far as cleaning products go. A little bleach in a spray bottle filled with water will kill mold. Alternately I think that vinegar will do the trick as well. If you can stand the smell that is. But it goes away after a while.

edit on 22-3-2013 by grey580 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
I don't have any empirical evidence, but, I do have two little boys and some anecdotal evidence.

My first son: I was very overprotective. I didn't let him get dirty, I sanitized everything, I didn't want anyone to touch him and I am sorry that I did. He is sick pretty frequently, which, he does go to school where there are more opportunities to pick up a bug because of that, but, is still sick more than anyone else in this house.

I thought I was doing the right thing in protecting him, and like I said, I am sorry that I did.

My second son: I was less protective, because, I was busy with a 15 month old and I had more experience, which meant a lot less freaking out every possible little thing.

This kid ate dirt every chance he got. I would turn my head for one second and turn around to see mud in his mouth. He would get dirt out of my flower pots in his walker, and would crawl to them to get himself a nice mouthful of dirt.

He has never been sick beyond a cold; even when his brother is sick, he never catches it.

When they are tiny, yes, wash your hands and keep things sanitary. But, when they are older (ie not itty bitty anymore) let them get dirty. Let them eat food they have dropped on the floor (within reason of course). Let them play with the dog. Etc.

Always remember that they ARE washable!

Their immune system needs exposure to germs to strengthen it since the thymus stops developing in early childhood. Once they miss that boat, its gone.

Good luck and congrats on the baby (:
edit on 22-3-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)
edit on 22-3-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Dont over worry, you will do fine.

Dont have much input on your op though, sorry wish i did. Just remember
babies are tougher than you think, esp with your first.

The only advice i would give anyone is to keep a small fan going in the childs room,
their have been studies to show that it prevents sids, by keeping the air in motion and fresh.
babies breath shallow when they sleep, so they dont push the air that far from their face and
some times breathe it back in, thus lacking oxygen.

i've read quite a bit about it years ago when i had a lil one around, and firmly believe it,
i had asthma real bad growing up, and always had to have a fan going or i felt like i was
suffocating. Even now days i still have a fan going year around in the bedroom.

I'm sure a house being air tight would be more likely to develop problems, but with yours
and the open air, i doubt you would have much trouble at all.

Congrat's and enjoy the lil one while you can, they grow up so fast, and so many things
you get to experience and enjoy.
I think my favorite memory was when my son figured out what a joke was and how to pull
a piratical joke, he was around 13 months or so. It was so great to see his face light up when
he realized that he made a joke and that i got it.
The first few months the are but a baby, not much goes on, but around 4-6 months they start developing
a personality, and you get to enjoy watching them grow.
Shoot for the first 2 years my chair was the floor. I would sit down at his level so he could interact while i
was doing things, he loved it. So did i.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Great, another little rug-rat we can add to the terrorist watch list.

[sarcasm]

Congrats on your new baby!

Good Luck..
edit on 22-3-2013 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Black mold IS a serious issue. Use common sense. My cousin bought a house and he and his son STILL have health probelms yrs afterward due to a jerk of a seller lying on the disclosure. The sewer backed up, he got black mold everywhere, PANELED OVER IT.. and sold it to my cousin. Given this is an extreme case.. and not a little black mold on a window .. but use your common sense.

Well, against my better judgement I'll tell you something horribly embarrassing... just to illustrate the hardiness of kids.
I was a fireball of a kid... a real headache to my parents. We had just moved to a place Id never seen before. I grew up until that point in New Orleans. and was used to swimming and all. We moved to nice neighborhood in Tennessee that had a poop lagoon. Id never seen one of those before, figured it was a pond.. it didnt stink.. and took me a swim. I had horribly infected ears in no time and burst eardrums from this horrific infection.
I lived.

If I can swim in human waste and live to tell the tale, you can survive in a humid climate with natural molds... with some common sense. Something which I lacked as a kid....

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

I think you just ruined my appetite.

I would be traumatized for life.

So sorry that happened to you.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Explanation: S&F!

Observations ... get a 2nd opinion from a parent you trust implicitly with you and your soon to arrive bundle of joy (and sleepless nights) ok.

Concerns are a big Yes! ... Since if you over scrub and condition the entire environment then that puts a serious dent in the childs immune system for life.

Early on the kid needs to get its immune system from its mother and hence why breast feeding is a prime quality gift to the child and also a prime logistical concern for the mother who is ordained by mother nature herself to physically take care of such nessessities.

However after the 1st year or so , or when they start walking [note not crawling .. upright walking ok], and they start getting about on their own then it is impossible to be there and literally watch over them every second of the day as you have dire and pressing physical needs that require attending to.

So mother nature has provided us all, kids included, with an immune system which is strengthened by everything we come into contact with on a moment to moment basis.

You don't have immaculately clean foundations when building anything from the Taj Mahal down to the merest meekest mudbrick hovel. And yet some of those cow dung mud brick hovel floors are far cleaner and more immaculately kept by its owners once it was built and stood up solidly to the test of time than many of the so called 1st class places I have had the displeasurre to visit during my lifetime.

Childrens proto immune systems do aok as far as mother nature is concerned because she also enforces the weeding out of the sick and weak and the stragglers and those not able to weather and endure the slings and arrows that life pits one against often in the evolution of our livelyhoods within our lifestyles environmental constraints.

Both you and your child are mortal and so it is wise to prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

However we also have medical science on our side and as long as you are fully aware and also understanding of what is in the vaccines etc. and what is being deliberately put into your childs body and how that directly relates to your childs growth patterns and general health and well being ... then I see nothing wrong with utilizing safe medical practices that are backed up by the science and the statistics ... to protect us and the children from extremely debilitating diseases even if one does survive the illness and polio is but one clear example of how simply removing humans as the sole host animal for such parasytic wild lifeforms to procreate inside ... fixes things for the entire human species as a whole.

Theories ... require some solid data and aside from 'black mold' on 'Hawaii' I have very little to go on in regards to a potential culprit that may or may not harm your child depending on more as yet undetailed real world factors than one can simply deal with and not go utterly insane from brain overload or freeze in catatonic shock from having to process so slowly that neither are viable options.

I'd recommend finding out all abouty this black mold fungus and also your personal family medical history such as but not limited to heart disease , cancers etc. and also find out and study you and your childs blood types.

I'd also recommend getting a dna profile BUT and one MUST exercise CAUTION here because it has pro and cons attached with getting it depending on the country you live in.

In Australia its an expensive test and takes a while to get the results and then you need to go learn how to properly interpret those results deeply .

And that helps is keeping oneself fit and healthy by being aware of any and all issues. It is good thing to have medically ..BUT insurance companies generally are not to be completely trusted when it comes to making a medical claim and so having foreknowledge may count against one in a court of law, god forbid such things ever occur to you and your child ok.

Here in Australia the citizens who do know MUST DISCLOSE any issue that they are personally aware of for OH&S reasons BUT by law that information can never be held against us when making a claim for legitimate insurance reasons.

I'd talk such stuff over personally face to face with my medical insurance sales representatives and or their managers, after consulting my family doctor and possibly a 2nd independant expertly qualified opinion, so as to leave no room for error and or mistakes because such things can haunt one for life.

Therefor ... it might be prudent to get informed deeply about whooping cough and sids which still plague humanity in significant numbers and are a tragedy for the deceased children and an absolute epic disaster for the grieving parents!

Personal Disclosure: Goodluck and May God Bless you, yours and all your children!

Peace be upon you!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
I saw lots of parents in my past practice who discovered that their young children or babies actually were allergic to the glues that are used in applying carpeting; many homes where the carpets had been redone and the kids got sick. Something to consider. Didn't find so many of these mysterious allergy/asthma in homes where the homes had wooden floors without rugs (only use of woven rugs or throw rugs, without adhesives.)

Also, kids are pure empaths and will pick up any free floating fear, anxiety, and aggression the parents are putting out; failure to take in air corresponds metaphysical to a spiritual "failure to thrive" or a feeling of hesitancy about "fully landing" in the reality that is taking place with the parents. So -- projecting loads of reassuring love at the baby and taking any fights or arguments you're having with your spouse/partner out of baby's space is very helpful, on an energetic level.
edit on 22-3-2013 by LipstickMystic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

I think you just ruined my appetite.

I would be traumatized for life.

So sorry that happened to you.

LOL! Don't be sorry, at least it makes for great family reunion humiliation ... still.. 30 yrs later.
Oh I did all sorts of stuff that would traumatize you.. probably why Im an only child. My parents were too scared to have any more.
I was blessed with very sedate little ladies.. my kids are a fraction as rambunctious as I was. Thank God...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   

That story..

I'm still traumatized.

I feel for you.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:02 PM
link   
"eczema and upper respiratory problems"

Sounds like the kid has had vaccines already, would have been fine without them.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rubinstein
"eczema and upper respiratory problems"

Sounds like the kid has had vaccines already, would have been fine without them.

I agree 1000%.

OP should do himself a favor and investigate the safety and efficacy of vaccines now, before his child is born.

The hospitaL will want to inject the poor bebe with all sorts of nasties before they are even capable of producing antibodies, and the chances of them coming across an STD right now is pretty low.

I will also add that nearly every child I've treated for eczema or asthma, has tested positive for multiple food allergies, and with those two conditions specifically, I've seen about a 99 percent correlation with a dairy allergy/sensitivity.

top topics

join