It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Severing Our Lifeline: The End of Electricity and Technology

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
reply to post by sled735

Some enjoyable debate here on this thread but you bring up the point I was going to make. People have mentioned un-prepared city dwellers but some of us can't really prepare in any realistic way due to lack of space or being stacked one on top of each other in flats/apartments. Some of us would desperately like to get out.

In the UK at least, land is hugely expensive and very few ordinary folk own a decent sized amount. I'm planning to get out of the city and (because of the price of land here) the country for that matter. Unortunately if a SHTF situation occurs before this, I have to accept that the outcome will not be good. No amount of stocking up food will help because it's the sheer numbers of people I would have to deal with that would be the problem.

Any way, good luck to those of you who are preparing, I hope I can make it out there in time to join you

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DrHammondStoat

And that's just it. If you can't prep yourself...get with someone who can and is! Most people surely have something they can bring to the table to help. Numbers are how we are going to survive ANY SHTF scenario...and deal with those who haven't prepared and prey on others.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Back on the stirling engine stuff. It doesnt take having everything prepped and built. Have the plans and tools, and some supplies. If TSHTF, build simple then group up, meet in the town square with those guys with their tools and garages, should you still be in the same place and not on the run, and start to build. These things take heat.

Coke Can Stirling Engine Pt. 1

Stirling engine with recicled materials

Prep can be as simple as gathering the blueprints. n fact, that was what I was told to do. Gather the plans up, get ready to speak to the groups, even some of the family, who already got the party elected in his riding, can very easily convince people to not lose it,but start to create. One by one, everyone is wasting their abilities, its putting it together that counts.
edit on 2-4-2013 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I don't need electricity, or gas to cook anything, heat or light my home - using low tech - tools you make by hand with the things around you. The information is out there and people who know are willing to share to help others. If we lost civilization as we know it today, we can easily survive and rebuild.

Yes, we are dependent on technology because we can be. It's here for us to use and we prefer it but it's not a requirement. I don't know anyone so hooked on technology that they would starve freeze or die from lack of food shelter and protection. ( save people on medical equipment and there are even alternatives for that)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Yes, we are dependent on technology because we can be. It's here for us to use and we prefer it but it's not a requirement. I don't know anyone so hooked on technology that they would starve freeze or die from lack of food shelter and protection. ( save people on medical equipment and there are even alternatives for that)

No, not a requirement, but I would have severe ATS withdrawals!

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
You/we are wise to ponder the possibility of life without electricity and technology. Knowing that all it would take is one or two well placed nukes over us to cause an EMP wave is a very sobering thought and well deserving of contemplation, for one. If you have the stomach for it, "One Second After," by William Forstchen is a well speculated read about the aftermath of an EMP strike on the USA. Sure blew my hair back. Nice post, Smyleegrl! ~

Regards,

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

we can easily survive and rebuild.

Easily? No, not easily. We can survive and rebuild though, yes.

If the lights went out tomorrow, and never came back on, within a few days, there'd be chaos, within weeks, roving gangs and militias would control cities. Survive, yes, Rebuild, yes, but a far different world.

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join