It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Found HIP 234 30 near Earth

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sk8ergrl

Originally posted by abeverage
HIP 234 30 is a star with the designation HR 1628. Please learn to use your stellar (Stellarium) program better! And stop trying to be a fear monger...

HR 1628 or HIP 23430
edit on 22-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

If you read my post I wasn't trying to scare people so please don't give me that kinda attitude as I haven't disrespected you.

I of course read your post, I mean no disrespect but when you said..

This has me worried as I tried to check online for this HIP 234 30 and I cannot find any information.

What does that mean exactly? Worried about what? A star 200+ light years away? And you couldn't find anything on HIP 23430? The first hit is a star catalog entry. Sorry it sounded like fear mongering or at least worry mongering. LOL Instead of getting the facts first then being worried, which happens a lot on ATS...

If you have no such intentions then I apologize.
edit on 22-3-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   
As abeverage posted, HIP23430 is a star, mag +5.0 (faint), at 242 light years away near the constellation Lepus.

Here is some links to help you better understand astronomy designations. HIP is for stars that were cataloged back in the 1980's by the ESA satellite Hipparcos.

Astro Handbook

You'll find what a lot of the letters mean for designations of celestial objects.

That way when you find something interesting, you can look up and see if it's a star, planet, asteroid, comet, galaxy, nebula, pulsar, etc, etc.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I have just done a simulation of anything near the earth and I stopped on 8th Jan 2014 and there is a HIP 234 30 near the earth more closer then our moon. This has me worried as I tried to check online for this HIP 234 30 and I cannot find any information. This photo is screenshot taken on Stellerium please take the time to look yourselves and make sure I'm not wrong. All info is in my screenshot. I was on the Pansstars as that was the best view to get the two as some reason when I tried to view earth and HIP 234 30 on the moon it was not visible.

sdrv.ms...

Where does it show that it's closer than our moon? (I couldn't see your screenshot because it requires registering on some website).

Here's a screenshot of HIP 23430 from my Stellarium:

As you can see, it's a star 242,5 light years away. Clearly not a rock that is flying closer than the moon.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I accept your apology and hope we are friends lol. I didn't make this thread to induce fear and I am sorry if that my thread might look like I was. Also as I'm new to stellerium I'm still learning. But why is it so big and bright near the earth and the moon is near if the star was light years away from us how come the moon and earth are in view? If I got it wrong then please excuse my stupidity.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

Thank you for the hand book that will come in useful

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Let me get the photo and upload it for you ok

edit on 3/22/1313 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:55 PM
link   

reply to post by wildespace

Let me get the photo and upload it for you ok

edit on 3/22/1313 by Sk8ergrl because: (no reason given)

Ah I see what happened.

Look at the image and then look at the bottom left corner. The reason that HIP23430 looks like it's between the Earth and the moon is because of 2 things:

1) You changed your location of viewing. You are no longer on the Earth looking up, but are looking from Pan Starrs.
2) I believe that the label HIP23430 that you are seeing is actually behind that large glowing object...which is most likely Pan Starrs. So it LOOKS like HIP23430 is between the Earth and the moon.

That is why it looks that way.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by eriktheawful

I see now and as I didn't know how to check the distance by finding more about HIP 23430 on stellurium it was typed with a space like hip 234 30 so I couldn't find the info lol. Thanks to people for helping me and now I'm going to hide in a dark corner with a big D on my head

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sk8ergrl

Ah, thanks, I understand now. It only looks like HIP 23430 is between Earth and Moon, from the comet Panstarr's point of view. It doesn't mean it's literally there. It's like seeing a far-off mountain between two houses nearby.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

Ah, thanks, I understand now. It only looks like HIP 23430 is between Earth and Moon, from the comet Panstarr's point of view. It doesn't mean it's literally there. It's like seeing a far-off mountain between two houses nearby.

I just thought that if I changed the view point from another place I can view the earth at better angle and see if anything will hit us.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   

I accept your apology and hope we are friends lol. I didn't make this thread to induce fear and I am sorry if that my thread might look like I was. Also as I'm new to stellerium I'm still learning. But why is it so big and bright near the earth and the moon is near if the star was light years away from us how come the moon and earth are in view? If I got it wrong then please excuse my stupidity.

You were most likely centered on the comet looking back at earth right? It is just the program rendering incorrectly when viewing Earth. I rarely use that feature unless I am looking at stars from Mars or another planet out of curiosity. I do not think you are stupid I still do some goofy stuff with that program. I am an amateur astronomer and would be happy to help you or anyone with Stellarium (provided I know the answer lol) and there are several other members with better skills then me as well!

My tone might have come across as snarky because a lot of people come to ATS and claim mistakes like that are evidence that an object is heading toward earth or something similar which is flatly wrong. They also do not want to believe that amateurs like myself are always looking at the sky and would see any large objects (*cough* Nibiru *cough*).

So no worries

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Your location seem to be set as Comet Panstarrs looking back at the Earth and Moon its a line of sight thing look at your field of view fov=0.0351 deg YOU have zoomed in the star is still hundreds of light years from Earth is in the same line of sight that's all.

I see other have said the same easy mistake to make!
edit on 23-3-2013 by wmd_2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Thanks for your understanding and I would be interested listening to your kind advice. Sorry for the late reply I've been busy lol hope your doing well

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone who has posted who has showed my lack of understanding of the cosmos lol I do take all advice to heart as I'm a great listener but I lack good communication

posted on Mar, 26 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
It's probably just a glitch...or we are seriously *******.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join