It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kraft Macaroni & Cheese - Response on Color

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Recently, Kraft has been taking some heat from "mommy bloggers" on the use of artificial colors in the Macaroni & Cheese products. As a response, they say this:

Response on Color

As for colors, we look to regulators for guidance. The artificial colors allowed in foods in the U.S., including the Yellow #5 and #6 used in some KRAFT Mac & Cheese varieties, are some of the most well-studied ingredients. The Food & Drug Administration (FDA) has deemed them safe for use in food. Other experts, including the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA), have reached a similar conclusion. Scientific consensus on safety is very important when we look at what ingredients to use. Here's what both the FDA and EFSA have to say on colors.

They also claim to sell 14 varieties without artificial colors.

My question is that if there are safer alternative, why use these chemicals in ANY of their products?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Mommy bloger's??? Any mother should know that if they change the current color one bit. The kids won't eat it.!!!! My god it's hard enough to get the kid's to eat anyway.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Maybe the safer alternatives cost more...?
It probably boils down to money after all is said and done.
Like everything else.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Because it's cheaper for Kraft to make the foods with chemicals! Anything that's natural these days costs way more.

Thanks for putting this thread up. I've often though to myself, "Why is it that the foods with all the chemicals are so much cheaper and easier to find? Logically you would think that natural foods are very competitive to the chemically altered foods, but for some strange reason the altered ones are so much cheaper!

I don't think that there is any proof that artificial ingredients are better than what nature has. Society needs a paradigm shift back to nature

edit on 3/22/2013 by InFriNiTee because: fixed

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

I think it's for shelf life. They don't care what we put in our bodies. The FDA in my opinion can't be trusted in any verdict about food and drug safety.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockymcgilicutty

Mommy bloger's??? Any mother should know that if they change the current color one bit. The kids won't eat it.!!!! My god it's hard enough to get the kid's to eat anyway.

I dont get it. If you're hungry you eat. Kid doesnt want to eat then I guess the kid isnt hungry.

Lest you end up like one of those Jerry Springer mothers with a 400 pound 12 year old crying "he likes fried chicken! I have to feed him fried chicken!"

You eat what's in front of you or you dont eat.

edit on 22-3-2013 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
What colour is macaroni cheese over there? Here it's pale yellow...because it contains cheese. Why do they feel they need to put colourings into something that is practically white anyway? I'm shocked at the difference in food standards in the US to the UK. We've got the slight problem of 'uh-oh' wrong meat again syndrome but many products are free from artificial colours and flavourings. I don't trust the FDA one bit!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   

I used to make mac & cheese using the Kraft packs with powdered cheese. I stopped the moment I found out that it was loaded with artificial ingredients. Its not hard if you've trained them to eat good home cooked meals from the beginning. I have two toddlers and they eat everything without complaining. Sure they take their time once in a while to finish the food but thats about it. We do not give them junk food or any snacks in between unless they ask for it. The snacks are on the healthy side as well. They do get to eat outside on the weekends (saturday). I use actual cheese and use barilla pastas (macaroni, ziti, farafalle etc) along with real butter, milk etc for Mac & Cheese. My wife doesn't have the same knack for mac & cheese so I make it. They enjoy their mac & cheese every single time (which is once per week). Everyday the morning cereal and lunch is standard. Dinners are different everyday.
If they're not hungry, I generally let them get hungry. No child will remain hungry as the hunger is too strong. They will be vocal and make sure to let you know they're hungry

edit on 22-3-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
What colour is macaroni cheese over there?

Most of the mac and cheese products here in the U.S. are some variation of florescent orange. Very unnatural. Although there are some alternatives.

And don't get me started on Cheetos!
edit on 3/22/13 by AnonymousCitizen because: added photo

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I dont get it. If you're hungry you eat. Kid doesnt want to eat then I guess the kid isnt hungry.

Put Brussel Sprouts in front of your kid three nights a week , then tell me when they cleaned their plate.

My kid's and grandkids alway's did and do eat well. But sometimes it is a battle. From what you said you must send your kid's to bed hungry.

Not me the will eat right, but color means a lot to kid's on food. Why take away one food that most kid's do enjoy, that is also fortified with vitamins.

edit on 22-3-2013 by rockymcgilicutty because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
It all comes down to this.

Making ingredient changes isn't as simple as it would seem. All of the ingredients work together to deliver the distinctive taste, appearance and texture you expect in Original KRAFT Mac & Cheese.

You don't change a thing on something that sells unless it's absolutely necessary.

and...

Certified colors are synthetically produced (or human made) and used widely because they impart an intense, uniform color, are less expensive, and blend more easily to create a variety of hues.

FDA on Colors

link   
reply to post by rockymcgilicutty

Who gave them the impression that brussel sprouts werent good in the first place?

I loved them growing up and still do. Spinach too. The green stuff made me crazy from as far back as I can remember.

This "ewww vegetables" and "yay happy meals!" nonsense isnt born into them. It comes from outside influences.

link   

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Put Brussel Sprouts in front of your kid three nights a week , then tell me when they cleaned their plate.

Agree. Even adults are bored of the same ingredients and routine so its only natural for a child to feel the same. Thats why we use a variety of real ingredients and cook up dishes for dinner everyday. Cooking is a big part of my family and we do pay attention to every aspect of it. My 5 year old daughter actually gets into cooking and attempts to help me or my wife in the kitchen. She also learns a great deal about ingredients as we explain while cooking. We let her stir the ingredients in the pan or pot or wash the ingredients etc etc. She feels special and actually takes pride as it gives her the sense of responsibility and expects us to eat as she also put in the effort of preparing a dish

edit on 22-3-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
This Article I was reading has some interesting points about Yellow5...

Some studies have linked various immunologic responses to tartrazine (yellow #5) ingestion, including anxiety, migraines, clinical depression, blurred vision, itching, general weakness, heatwaves, feeling of suffocation, purple skin patches, and sleep disturbance.

Seems like other groups are also actively trying to get these artificial colorings off the table because of those reasons.

Yellow 5, Red 40, and six other widely used artificial colorings are linked to hyperactivity and behavior problems in children and should be prohibited from use in foods... CSPI

I think it all boils down to Yellow #5 being the cheapest coloring you can get. What's funny though is that the FDA also says that Aspartame and Fluoride are good for us too

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

This "ewww vegetables" and "yay happy meals!" nonsense isnt born into them. It comes from outside influences.
Roger that. Its the stupid commercial echos and marketing tactics with sublimal marketing/messages that has had a big impact on our lifestyles.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeedawg
This Article

Yellow 5, Red 40, and six other widely used artificial colorings are linked to hyperactivity and behavior problems in children

I can personally vouch for the yellow #5 causing severe hyperactivity and behavior problems...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

I stopped the moment I found out that it was loaded with artificial ingredients.

You must shop Organic?

So help me out give me a menu of your meals that have No Artifical ingredents.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Who gave them the impression that brussel sprouts werent good in the first place?

I loved them growing up and still do. Spinach too. The green stuff made me crazy from as far back as I can remember.

You gave the impression from one comment that all kids eat is junk.

Parent's will alway's battle with children over what to eat. If you don't know this you don't have kid's.

My comment was over why take something away from them they do like. I guess your next comment will be because of the artifical ingredients. If you don't grow or farm them yourself let me give you a hint. Anything you eat will be tainted including produce.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   

My wife and daughter are sensitive to Yellow number 5. I have to watch how much Annatto I consume, it has an accumulatory effect on me. 25 percent of the population may be allergic to Annatto yet it is considered GRAS and doesn't even have to even be listed because it is considered organic. Turmeric would be a better alternative I think. It does not have nearly the problems of either of those three yellows. It is a natural MAOI though so can possibly cause headaches in people who eat a lot of tyramines/free glutamates.

You are being too sensible. The yellow color makes people more attracted to it

edit on 22-3-2013 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Brings up an interesting point...safer alternative that costs more money..I always try and by the nitrite free bacon but man oh man it's a bit more money...we also buy the nitrite free hotdogs from i wanna say Oscar Meyer but for some reason they taste a thousand times saltier..

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join