It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Insanity!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
I watched a History Channel special the other night on the Manhattan Project. There are several good documentaries out there and I've watched most of them. I thought this Manhattan Project documentary focused more on the power of The Bomb rather than the project compartmentalization or it's effect on the War. Unfortunately I do not recall the name of the special.

Always interested in the shear number of atomic detonations and stockpiles, I came across this YouTube video on locations and dates, and country of origin, of nuclear detonations between 1945 to 1998. It's difficult to fathom how many nuclear tests were detonated in the United States. Its fascinating to watch!

Here is a declassified Cold War US military training video

This next video contains the only moving footage of the Little Boy explosion on August 6th, 1945.

Sometimes I wonder how the hell we're still alive!!!

edit on 22-3-2013 by Cosmic911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
None of your video's work

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by proob4
None of your video's work

Check again

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic911

I wish I could watch videos at school

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

The shear quantity of nukes outnumbers the useful targets by a factor of 10. It is truly amazing. Take out New York, Chicago, and Los Angeles and that's all you need to shut down the US for a very, very long time.

Good post!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   
(hop hop hop)

(hop hop hop)

Just hopping past to spread more good, uplifting news! If the ground detonations weren't bad enough, the high atmospheric and space based detonations made our very own radiation belts around our planet.

Hey, I suppose man CAN impact the planet as a whole, in some ways... Don't mind me. Just spreading the good cheer!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Great post, Wrabbit! Those radiation belts, is one of those the Van Allen belt? I think that's the one everyone is always talking about?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Secrets of the dead has one on the Bomb , did the USSR build the first air drop bomb, did they build the first true 3 stage bomb and not know it 1954, a test code bravo was the biggest H bomb tested by the US was it a bomb or a test device? Tsar Bomb USSR's air dropped bomb was thought to be 50 Mt as it turned out it was 100Mt due to what factor? just some questions you need to ask as to how man has come to the point of no return not knowing the real out come , only thinking he does. here is the link to watch the show, grab you nuked pop corn, get in your bikini briefs, shorts and get set to be blown away .
www.pbs.org...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic911

Great post, Wrabbit! Those radiation belts, is one of those the Van Allen belt? I think that's the one everyone is always talking about?

Good question...I went and looked it up tho...

Back in 1958, at the dawn of the space age, physicist James Van Allen discovered that the Earth is ringed by high-energy charged particles. Held in place by the planet’s magnetic field, these bands of radiation were named the inner and outer Van Allen Belts. They’re of particular interest to NASA as they pose a potential danger to spacecraft.
Source

Definitely different things. We apparently added to the problem with the high atmosphere/low space range nuclear detonations. Not in a comparable way for power I think, but still added a new problem.

Another funny thing about it is that almost all the nuclear test ended up accidents in one form or another. At least the South Pacific tests I'd looked at the most for the outer limits they represented sometimes. The big blast seen in Hawaii from almost 50 miles up detonated directly OVER Johnston Atoll instead of 6 miles down range. Still at altitude, but in reading, they thought they may have lost the whole facility there for awhile. Ooops... A lot of little things like that through the testing. Bad ju ju.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   

OMG! Accidents? Dear lord. Nice job on the background work! I guess its not implausable to believe the high number of accidents given that it was the dawn of the nuclear age. Still, you have to wonder how they didn't blow up or create fall out on a much larger scale. I remember reading that prior to the first detonation one scientist thought they would blow up the entire world. That gives you an inkling of their confidence or knowledge base in theoretical/nuclear physics.

join