Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Looks like it is time to start the flood fight here in North Dakota

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Last year we had virtually no snow on the ground to melt and we all enjoyed a spring with no flood threat. Now we are pretty much guarenteed to have some sort of flooding and we are 50/50 of having a major flood. This is getting old.

There is virtually no scenario that creates a no-flooding situation,” said Greg Gust, a meteorologist with the weather service office in Grand Forks.

The National Weather Service said Thursday morning that the Red River in Fargo has a 50 percent chance of topping 38.1 feet when it floods this spring and a 10 percent chance of exceeding 40.9 feet, which would top the record-setting crest of 40.84 feet in 2009

The link below is to a local paper here. Im not sure if a person needs to sign in to view the article. If you do I apologize.

www.grandforksherald.com...

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Midstate here, they did a few commercials and a call out in the Bismarck tribune as well as a few churches, for volunteers to go help fill up sand bags. In prior years have they done any big construction to help prevent or ease the flooding?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by starskipper

Yes. Grand Forks/East Grand Forks did a huge flood protection project after the historic 1997 flood. They are protected to up to 62 feet. Fargo and Moorhead have built up there dykes but not enough to protect the city like Forks has.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

First, thanks for the post.
Second, I can confirm that your link to the Grand Forks Herald worked fine and the article isn't paywalled. All good.

What's not good is that as these floods come along whenever you seem to have had a winter of higher snowfall, which in ND I guess isn't really rare, I wonder at TPTB there who don't seem to be making very rapid progress in flood defenses. The monetary costs and the grief to people in the region must be terrible.

Do you feel the elected and other state officials could be doing a lot more, or are their available resources for such things already stretched?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
As a person from Saskatchewan, all our snow will head down to ND, more specifically Minot (as it is low lying). There is a crap ton of snow here so please get ready and please don't blame us. When I went down to Minot for business after 2011's flood, I told people where I was from and their mood changed as if I was the one that caused all the flooding...take care down there, I have over 5 feet of snow in my yard after yesterdays storm!
edit on 22-3-2013 by superman2012 because: wrong date...duh sorry

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

The snowfall is normal for around here. Whats causing the problem is that the temperature does not gradually change anymore when we go to spring from winter. Its not uncommon for us to stay below freezing until April and then we suddenly stay above freezing and rain comes increasing the rate of snow melt. Ideally if we could have a few days above freezing, then a few days below freezing for a few weeks the melt would be gradual and hardly no flooding would happen but that hasnt been the case in the last few years. The melt happens very fast and screws everything up.

The problem doesnt seem to be the elected officials, they want to do something, but they are hampered by cost it seems. Here is another article. www.sfgate.com...

the National Weather Service told flood-weary residents in the Fargo area Thursday to prepare for one of the Red River's five largest crests this spring, an outlook that prompted city and county officials to plead for permanent flood protection.

City and county officials shouldnt have to beg for help for flood protection like they are doing here.

The flood threat comes as Congress is to consider whether to help fund a nearly $2 billion diversion channel around the Fargo-Moorhead area, a project that has come up against roadblocks.
edit on 22-3-2013 by lcbjr1979 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Now why did you have to go and freak me out this morning? One of my kids is up in N. Dakota right now. I was already worried about her but now......

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Lol, yeah its all your fault. No but seriously, Minot is far enough away where that river wont be an issue here.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Im sorry. Where in North Dakota? Let me try and calm you down some. Eventhough these floods are dangerous we have become experts at fighting them. Hardly any lives are lost. Evacuation procedures are like a finely tuned machine around here. We all ban together to help each other out during flood season. I am very confident your child will be safe as long as they listen to what they are told by city officials when and if they have to evacuate. When the evacuation order is given it is done so for a reason. Make sure they know that and they evacuate if need be.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

She is in Williston. Is that in the flood zone?
She is an adult so this isn't a little kid, but still a mom worries.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I first saw a report about this last night. My parents are both from Bowbells, North Dakota and lived in Grand Forks for a while. Last night, I talked to a friend there about it. The article sums it up well for the people: they are getting tired of this. He sure is. The people there are tough, resilient, and don't complain much.

I'm in Wisconsin and we still have snow on the ground and it's 10 F outside! I just saw a forecast of heavy rains in the upper midwest for the month of April. They mentioned that the heaviest would be in MN and into ND. My uncle still farms up in Nodak, and he's concerned about not being able to get the crops in early enough if he has lakes in his fields.

Well, I hope the work that's been done and all the other preparations are enough. And, Mother Nature is kind.

Praying for all of you...

ib

no worries littled, Williston is fine.
edit on 22-3-2013 by ibiubu because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Oh yes, Grand Forks is, sorry, I was referring to the Alameda and Rafferty Dam being opened and flooding Minot again.
Link to above average snowfall.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Thats the oil field area. There is a chance for moderate flooding out there, but Williston is usually very safe and the flooding if any isnt that bad. Here is a website for you that you can visit. It shows the current level of the river in the Wiliston area and at what height different flood responses start at. water.weather.gov...

Im a parent too so I know what its like to worry. Hang in there and make sure you and your child stay current with the info on the river out there. If flooding happens it wont happen fast, it will gradually happen so there is time to prepare.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Great reply. Thank you very much.

I hear what you're saying about the change in snow melt. We've had this a few times in the decade or so here in Central Europe in some regions and it's quite problematic, because yeah -- the temp goes above 0 and it also rains, and the whole snow cover melts fast and leads to inundations. We even had flood warnings in some country areas here about 2 weeks ago when there was decent snowfall, then temps went to spring-like conditions for about three days (along with some rain in places) and nearly all the snow melted.

Luckily the flooding was minimal and very local. In a way it was a good thing, because there'll be less snow to melt off when things warm up properly during the next few weeks or so.

Back to your neck of the woods: looks like they're doing what they can, but seeing as much of the runoff apparently comes down from Canada it's a hassle. It's like when we get a major melt here in my region and we get some flooding, but it doesn't reach serious flood levels until it all gets into the River Elbe over the border in Germany.

Some folks just say: "Well, if you decide to live in a natural flood zone, then you gotta expect to get flooded." Sounds reasonable on the surface and if people build in a place that gets flooded every few years, then they're right.

But for example, we have towns here that go back to the middle ages and never got seriously flooded until our last big flood in 2002. Many people thought they were above flood level -- and historically, they were -- but when the big one came along they still got hit.

Anyway I hope they get things sorted out in your region. If they need a system to divert flood water and it'll cost $2 billion, then it should be done. Long-term, it has to pay off.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

reply to post by ibiubu

Thank you for calming my nerves. I am texting my daughter right now to let her know!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I will make sure to keep updating this thread. Im sure new forcasts and info will be coming out every few days, and then daily once the flood begins. Thanks for the applause.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Good idea. Stay in contact with her, and just make sure she keeps an eye on the news. I will do my best to update this thread with info from that part of the state as I update about my region.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Sound like Fargo is going to build up the dykes to 42.5 feet. This is going to require about a million sandbags

At a news conference Thursday morning, city officials said they hope to have 1.25 million bags stocked away by the time the snow melts in order to build the city’s flood protection to 42.5 feet, which would provide defenses for a record 41-foot flood with 1.5 feet of freeboard.

There is a sliver lining I guess. After the 2011 flood Fargo had a huge surplus of sandbags. About 750,000 were left over and lukcily they dont expire. This will help immensly since they already have a ton of bags ready to go. They only need 500,000 more.

Mahoney expects it will take 10 days to make 500,000 new bags,

Im starting to think that the city should just start a little sandbag making factory that runs year round. That way in the spring there are bags ready to go.

www.inforum.com...

posted on Mar, 25 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   
UPDATE:

Last week, the Senate’s Environment and Public Works Committee passed the 2013 Water Resources Development Act, which includes federal authorization for the proposed $1.8 billion flood channel around the FM metro, Hoeven said in a flood informational meeting at City Hall here

This is great news for the future and will surley help in future floods however it will do nothing to help out this year.

Of course its the government so it wont go smooth. Here is the link to the story to read more.

www.inforum.com...

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
UPDATE

With a couple big snow storms since this thread was started the flood forcast has increased. Fargo is now looking at the potential for a record setting flood.

“Will this be the big one? Quite possibly,” Greg Gust, a weather-service meteorologist, said of the Fargo area. “We encourage people to prepare for a flood of record.”

www.grandforksherald.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join