It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sellerfield nuclear power plant,evacuated

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Hi just seen on bbc news Sellerfield has been shutdown and staff been told to leave the site. Sounds bad to me. Bit of snow and its big trouble for nuclear plant. Hope its not another Fukishima , lets pray.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by symptomoftheuniverse

seems weather related link

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

:Just some general Info:

source[/url ]

The Met Office says rain and sleet in Cumbria will turn to snow and that is likely to be heavy and persistent across most areas. “The public should be aware of the potential for severe disruption, particularly to transport and to power supplies during Friday morning,” says the forecaster. Up to 10cm of snow is forecast in many inland areas tomorrow and perhaps as much as 20-40cm over high ground. Stiff winds may cause problems with drifting and blizzards.

[url=http://www.urscorp.com/Projects/projView.php?s=918&sec=37&pn=2]source

The Sellafield nuclear complex is a compact site containing more than 1,000 facilities with tasks associated with decommissioning the UK’s nuclear legacy. In addition, the work includes recycling used fuel from nuclear power stations, manufacturing mixed oxide fuel, managing and storing nuclear materials, and processing and storage of low-, intermediate-, and high-level nuclear wastes

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   

Seems as this has been an on-going situation for some time now.

rt.com...

Sellafield snafu: UK nuclear site shutdown totals $160bln amid cost overruns

­Sellafield, the nuclear reprocessing site in Cumbria, northwest England, stores 82 tons of plutonium waste. A plant director called one of the plant's buildings, B30, “the most hazardous industrial building in Western Europe.”

The closure was announced in June 2012, following concerns over terrorist threats and environmental damage

edit on 22-3-2013 by azureskys because: add on

www.bbc.co.uk...

The Sellafield site is responsible for decommissioning and reprocessing nuclear waste and fuel manufacturing on behalf of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority.

The site, which has operated since the 1940s, is heavily protected by both private security and officers from the Civil Nuclear Constabulary.

Sellafield has a bunker that stores about 100 tonnes of plutonium, which experts say is enough to manufacture thousands of nuclear weapons.

edit on 22-3-2013 by azureskys because: added more

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by azureskys

Although a phased early release of employees from the site is underway we require on coming shift workers to continue to report to work to relieve their colleagues if it is safe for them to do so. Please be aware that the A595 is closed south of Calderbridge.

from comment here

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 07:55 AM
link   
they say they have shut down as a precaution ,told staff to leave the site,told staff to ring a number and set up a gold command. Scary stuff. A day after approving a new nuclear facility at hinkley point. Are we totally insane? Has fukishima,chernobyl learnt us anything?
If this goes tits up can we arest the nuclear cheerleaders please.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

If this goes tits up can we arest the nuclear cheerleaders please.

And if it doesn't can we section the nuclear doom mongerer's please?

ETA

Has fukishima,chernobyl learnt us anything?

I'd suggest that they've learnt all sorts of things that will improve safety measures on both new and existing nuclear facilities as a result of these disasters.
edit on 22/3/13 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Nothing to see hear folks, it's just a precaution due to high winds and snow.

Mostly to ensure staff can get home.

There is nothing wrong with anything on the site.

This info has come from the highest level, well, actually, a couple of workers on site, one being my father-in-law.
edit on 22/3/13 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

This info has come from the highest level, well, actually, a couple of workers on site, one being my father-in-law.
that isnt how the bbc newscaster put it. "Theres been an on site incident,staff have been sent home,staff coming in please phone special number andgold command has been set up to ensure safety of staff and surrounding community."
Its all sounds a little tepcoesq.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
First it was the gas...now it's the leccy....*goes off shaking head*

I really do hope it is due to weather/and staff safety though
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Lol is it all to justify extortionate energy prices? I hope so.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

The BBC are either mis-reporting, or you are mis-understanding what they are saying.

I will stress again, from the mouths of Sellafield workers whom I know and trust, there is nothing wrong on site, it is just a precaution due to the weather.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

I dont believe you. I trust the bbc about the most dangerous industrial building in western europe. I did not mishear.which part did i mishear. You dont work for tepco do you. Is people being sent home early really news worthy? Is it worth being on the bbc ticker? Head west woogle!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I mean east!

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Trust a local with inside connections......(who also happens to have worked there himself once upon a time)

What they are referring to as a "site incident" IS the weather.

It is news worthy because the weather is dominating the news at the moment, and it is the weather which is causing them to send staff home early.

Everything that is going on is standard procedure.

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring!

EDIT: I live within 20 miles of the place.....believe me when I say that if I thought there was even a remote chance that something bad was happening/has happened.......I wouldn't be sitting here on the internet discussing it, I would be packing my bags.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

A 'site incident' is a condition status similar to the traffic light system - it has been upgraded to such to allow site employee's to leave early etc due to the adverse weather conditions.
Critical to safety employee's etc are still required to report in for work if possible.

Nothing at all to be unduly worried about.

It seems that despite receiving reassurance from a well respected member of ATS you prefer the more sensationalist and alarmist explanation - I wonder why?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Ppppanic der der dont pppanic ok i wont panic until the wind changes directions. Mind you 100 ton of plutonium,then it does not matter where the wind blows its curtains for us all.again.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

Can anyone from the area confirm what the weather conditions are like. I live 40 miles NW of Sellafield: all day the weather has been overcast, with a bit of a breeze and the lightest snow imaginable (the roads have remained dry throughout). You wouldn't have called off a garden fete for this. Is it really so different 40 miles away, or is there something we aren't being told?

Have they sent staff home before in similar conditions?
edit on 22-3-2013 by lacrimoniousfinale because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Setting up a gold comand is routine? When did this last happen at any nuclear site in the u.k? Why are you not concerned?why dont you trust the bbc?

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

why dont you trust the bbc?

It's not that I distrust the BBC.......but do I honestly have to go into that?

It seems to me that the site manager's are taking perfectly understandable precaustions given the adverse weather conditions and I think woogle has given a reasonable explanation.

If there was anything untoward to worry about I'd expect emergency services to be swamping the place, a news blackout blah blah blah.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join