The United Nations goes in search of the toilet?

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

UN: FINDING A PHONE EASIER THAN FINDING A TOILET

UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The United Nations says six billion of the world's seven billion people have mobile phones — but only 4.5 billion have access to toilets or latrines.

So the U.N. is launching a global campaign to improve sanitation for the 2.5 billion people who don't have it.

U.N. Deputy Secretary-General Jan Eliasson calls their plight "a silent disaster" that reflects the extreme poverty and huge inequalities in the world today.
Source

Okay, let me take the most obvious before anyone else gets to it. This it a real case of Geo-Pottytics.

Keep in mind, the U.S. funds a good % of the United Nations.

The United States has been, and remains, the single largest financial contributor to the United
Nations (U.N.) system. For calendar year (CY) 2007, U.S. contributions to the U.N. system
totaled just over $4.8 billion. This included

• more than $895,982,000 in assessed contributions to the regular budgets of the United Nations and its specialized agencies;
• $96,414,194 in assessed contributions to the two war crimes tribunals;
• $1,266,129,767 in assessed contributions to U.N. peacekeeping operations; and
• $2,560,429,000 in voluntary contributions to U.N. system special programs and funds.
Source

In the world we see around us, a place to relieve one's self in privacy and with a sink to wash hands is really a worthy priority for the UN? The primary organization in charge of international peace and diplomacy? I've been there for searching and not finding that place to go, but the United Nations? Really? This is the best thing to focus on??

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Problem is they will spend millions in committees, think tanks, work groups and reports.

Private enterprise will receive millions coming up with a viable way to milk the cash cow.

All they really need is a post hole digger to make some long drops. A couple of short pieces of 4x1s to make the seat. The armies in the countries with the problem could spend a few days digging some, in fact why can't the villagers concerned dig some poop holes.

It is all about milking the cash cow!

S@F

P

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Well, now it can't be just any Post-Hole digger. Certainly NOT! (horrified look
).

It must be a UN certified post hole digger with a carbon neutral and slave labor free post hole digging tool!

4x1's? Surely those will be boards free from any connection to old growth forests, spotted owl habitat or Bald Eagle mating areas. Gotta be sure about that now, it is the UN after-all.

Finally, there can't just be holes. How un civilized! Those holes must have some sewage attached to run the waste somewhere else.....without anyone to maintain any of this of course.

Yup, That is precisely how I see it being solved.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
The primary organization in charge of international peace and diplomacy?

Your definition is not accurate.

The United Nations is an international organization founded in 1945 after the Second World War by 51 countries committed to maintaining international peace and security, developing friendly relations among nations and promoting social progress, better living standards and human rights.

and a few quotes from the charter...

to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,

To achieve international co-operation in solving international problems of an economic, social, cultural, or humanitarian character,

In the world we see around us, a place to relieve one's self in privacy and with a sink to wash hands is really a worthy priority for the UN?

Given that sanitary toilets are most basic way that a society can increase its health, then yes, it is.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Yeah. 2.5 Billion people without a hole to poop in.

Seriously, just how many of these 2.5 billion people live a nomadic lifestyle and just poop and move on.
How many of these 2.5 billion are military who just shoot, poo and move on.

Seriously, if the problem was in fact this important then it is up to the countries concerned to do something about it. In all probability the problem is that 2.5 billion people do not have bureaucratic twits telling them how to build a septic system to first world super stupid standards.

Some other countries just don't give a crap.
I would put India and the poorer parts of china into this group. Then look at all the other countries that don't give a crap because it is not much of an issue.

I think the bigger problem is that all the worlds animals do not use toilets at all. All those lions and tigers, not to mention the elephants and rhinos, all crapping and not giving a crap.

Show me major cities without any sewers and I would get upset. Surely controls such as linking aid with sanitory conditions would get those countries off their fat butts and divert some military spending into sanitation.

The UN will spend mega bucks on this issue to make their jobs appear to be worthwhile. It is a pity that the money could not be spent providing services.

P
edit on 21/3/2013 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

You've gotta be kidding me. You're being a fact Nazi on a casual comment made almost in passing to the main point of the article? Wow...

You've made something of a habit of this on people's threads lately. Thanks for the correction. I'll try not to just be casual in a general, light hearted piece again.

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   

You've gotta be kidding me. You're being a fact Nazi on a casual comment made almost in passing to the main point of the article?

But that was indeed (apart from the "geo pottylics" joke) your *main point* of your comment about the news, that the UN shouldnt be doing this because its not in their domain of work.

It is, and very much so.

---

Edit - and just as an aside, to show how important such work is...

Deputy Executive Director of the UN Children’s Fund (UNICEF), Martin Mogwanja, who noted that ending open defecation will contribute to a 36 per cent reduction in diarrhoea, which kills three quarters of a million children under five each year.

link
edit on 21-3-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Wrabbit, don't feed him, please!!! Have a carrot instead!

Do you like alpha sprouts, try them, they are nice.

P

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   
in Liberia they crap all over the beach even the "officials"

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

Of course, you're right. After all, it is a rather crappy topic. Gotta have some fun with it. (Or to put it another way, it's a laugh or cry moment for the whole story concept here.. lol)

@ Komo

I'd listened to a long audio book from a guy who'd gone to live in the south pacific for a couple years on one of the Islands. HIs wife was attached to an Aid organization or the UN...I don't recall which. Anyway, that was the first thing he described having to get used to. Even when they built facilities for the locals, it was still out to the beach and open water. The scene was shocking to imagine as an American, but norms are different everywhere of course.
edit on 21-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 21 2013 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Well, I have only two comments on this:

Number One

and

Number Two

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

In the world we see around us, a place to relieve one's self in privacy and with a sink to wash hands is really a worthy priority for the UN? The primary organization in charge of international peace and diplomacy? I've been there for searching and not finding that place to go, but the United Nations? Really? This is the best thing to focus on??

Seriously? You don't know you were born mate.

They don't have toilets HAHAHAHAHAHAH HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!

This thread was nothing but a pathetic attempt to slam the UN (again!)

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Kram09

It's a sad statement when a news item presented and meant to be a lighter side of things and perhaps a little chuckle or two while seeing a rather odd story.....is taken so seriously, it's almost provocative by some reactions. (sigh) Back to body counts and how people got dead to get counted in the first place I guess...... I know people LOVE reading about dead bodies. I was hoping people would enjoy a little laugh too. Silly me to even bother trying something but bad news and gory details.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

It's a sad statement when a news item presented and meant to be a lighter side of things and perhaps a little chuckle or two while seeing a rather odd story

The story is neither amusing nor odd. It would appear to me that you have taken the story for your own ends in a flimsy attempt to try and denigrate the United Nations and to garner flags and stars from the paranoid, close minded brigade of UN hating Americans on this site. To suggest I took umbrage with your post because I prefer negative stories involving "body counts" is utterly false.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I find it hard to believe that 6 Billion People have access to mobile phones.

How is it that in todays world 4.5 billion have access to toilets?

There are more phones than toilets? Thats terrible.

We need a phone with a toilet attached to it or something

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I have found a septic tank big enough for the 2.5 million without adequate potty's.

posted on Mar, 22 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kram09
The story is neither amusing nor odd. It would appear to me that you have taken the story for your own ends in a flimsy attempt to try and denigrate the United Nations and to garner flags and stars from the paranoid, close minded brigade of UN hating Americans on this site. To suggest I took umbrage with your post because I prefer negative stories involving "body counts" is utterly false.

The UN is a non-entity. A joke. It is a money pit - the US keeps pouring money into it like some Bob Villa project yet it never accomplishes anything.

It’s just a big circle jerk of talking that costs a lot of money and makes little # hole countries in the world feel like they matter. They don't.

In my experiance everything the UN touches turns to crap...

I wish the US would just send them packing.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

yet it never accomplishes anything.

Because the UN needs reforming. Particularly the permanent members of the security council who use their veto to protect their own interests or for their own political ends.

It’s just a big circle jerk of talking that costs a lot of money and makes little # hole countries in the world feel like they matter. They don't.

That's the exact American attitude that I'm talking about. Acting like the United States is the only country in the world. The U.S. snubs it's nose at the UN and only uses it when it suits. So tell me why exactly do other countries in the world not matter?

In my experiance everything the UN touches turns to crap...

Such as? Please share your "experience" with us.

posted on Mar, 23 2013 @ 06:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I have found a septic tank big enough for the 2.5 million without adequate potty's.

Sorry Beezer, we need it for 2.5 Billion. Got something a bit bigger have you?

P

new topics

top topics

join